Trip to Russia

Old May 8th, 2002, 12:22 PM
Davis

Trip to Russia

I dont have any idea of the kind of clothes to pack for a trip to Russia in August. any ideas?

Old May 8th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Marc David Miller

Since Russia is something over 10,000,000 square miles in size you should narrow down the question by saying where in Russia you are visiting; also, what types of activities you are doing.

Kayaking on the Lena River in north Siberia would require a different outfit than ballet in Novosibirsk or Moscow.

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Davis

I will be on a cruise between Helsinki, St. Petersburg and Moscow.Late Aug.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Marc David Miller

The tempetures will run 70's in the day and 50-60's at night, generally. As for type of clothing I would say what you would wear with similar weather in your home.

As an aside, are you sure of the route, as I didn't know of any cruises that go in both international and Russian waterways?

Old May 9th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Davis

We are flying from Helsinki to St. Pete.

Old May 9th, 2002, 12:38 PM
MHS

Did Princess Cruise last year August - Helsinki, St. Petersburg, etc. not Moscow. Layer. Short sleeves with long-sleeve over-shirt or sweater. Linen slacks for me; dockers for DH. In other words, basic classic European travel wear (as opposed to American beach wear).

Old May 29th, 2002, 09:36 PM
Alex

Hi all,
Recently I finished a special site for the first time travellers to Moscow, Russia.
You can find there a lot of useful information and accommodation for your visit.
Best regards and see you in Moscow,
Alexander.
http://www.geocities.com/alexmsc/

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:19 AM
Jane

Hi, Davis

My husband and I went on the Russian Waterways cruise last summer at the end of June into July. As a matter of fact, we were at Peter the Great's wonderful Summer Palace right on the 4th of July when musicians played The Star Spangeled Banner for our group.
Dress as already suggested. Be sure to have comfortable walking shoes because if your schedule is the same as ours was, you will be doing a lot of walking- -interesting walking. There will be some waiting in lines, as well when comfortable footwear will be important.
I would suggest something for mosquito protection, as along the narrow canals where the land is very close on either side of the boat, the mosquito problem can be quite serious. Simply make sure the window in your cabin is closed, and most of the problem will be diminished.
Enjoy your adventure!
Jane