Search

Trip to Prague

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Prague

I will be flying to Prague in mid May via Air Canada, arriving at the Zurich airport at 7:50 a.m and getting a connecting Swiss air flight departing at 8:30 a.m. My travel agent says this is doable, I'm nervous. Appreciate your comments. Thanks.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 08:55 AM

If you fly on one ticket and/or your TA pays for the next flight why not ?
Zurich is small - it should work.
On 2 tickets forget it.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 09:19 AM

Since you are already doing it, you'll find out. It sounds like you already bought your tickets, you say you will be doing it, right? So what do you want to know? There is nothing you can do about it at this point.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 09:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>My travel agent says this is doable, <<

Could be . . . but ONLY if your flight arrives on time and has a gate immediately -- and that is unknowable at this point. Even if you land early it will be tight if you need to retrieve bags.

If it is one booking you don't have to worry -- if they are unconnected flights I'd never book this. But in general, that is a very short connection no matter whether international or domestic.
Old Jan 10th, 2017, 11:09 AM

Your question is moot at this point. I wouldn't have booked this with such a tight window. Zürich airport is not huge but still, you have to show your passport on arrival, that can take time if several flights get in at the same time. Then where will your onward flight leave from? There could be serious distances to be covered. See

https://www.zurich-airport.com/passe...-en/site-plans

Your luggage will most likely be through-checked - let's just hope that you won't have to retrieve it in ZRH and then re-check it.

Air Canada and Swiss are partners in Star Alliance. If your trip was booked as one ticket with Swiss being the codeshare partner of the second leg of that one and same through-ticketed trip, then Swiss will put you on the next available flight if you show up too late for the flight on your current ticket. But what if that next flight is full?

In my book this is an unwise booking. Too late now I guess, but double-check with your agent about the manner in which the ticket was issued.

Get the Swiss app on your phone so that you can keep tabs on things:

https://www.swiss.com/us/en/fly/worl...ss/mobile-apps

Fingers crossed and good luck.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information. True it's a done deal, just wanted to determine if it's doable, with all stars aligned. Sounds possible and I'm taking only carry-on luggage.
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 06:27 AM

To put you at ease, I have done 30 minutes connection at Zurich Airport 5 years ago Geneva to Zurich and Zurich to Tokyo. Different terminal. I had checked luggage as well. All arrived in Tokyo, me and luggage as planned.

To put you at less ease ( and realistic ), it was all Swiss flights, and I was ready to run ( i can as I feel fit ) if needed. AND I was nervous....