Croatia Itinerary and Travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip to Croatia for 2 weeks in June for my 10th anniversary and am looking for some advice on places to visit and on traveling between cities. We are in our mid-thirties. I definitely want to visit Dubrovnik, Split, Istria, and either Hvar or Korcula. My rough plan based on what I've read so far is to fly into Dubrovnik, stay there for 3 nights, go to Hvar or Korcula for 2 nights, go to Split for 2 nights, go to Istria (probably Rovinj) for 3 nights, and then stay the night and fly out of Zagreb. I am also thinking of stopping at the Plitvice Lakes on our way up to Istria. Does this sound like too much moving around for 2 weeks? Does that order of places make sense? Does anyone have any recommendations on traveling between them? I am thinking we should rent a car in Split to travel to Istria and Zagreb? I know many people suggest focusing on either the north or the south, but we really want to see both Dubrovnik and Istria.

As far as the islands, I am trying to decide between Hvar and Korcula. We are looking for beaches, nice scenery/nature, and authentic food and wine. We like a lively night life, but nothing too Cancun-esque. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:34 AM

I've done your proposed route in two weeks a few times - minus Zagreb. Its doable.

Unless you have an intense desire to see Zagreb you could fly out of Pula in Istria, giving you a bit more time for the other stops.

I am partial to Hvar because its one of my favorite places in Europe. There will be nightlife in Hvar Town but if you decide to avoid it, you can. If you go I would try to add one more day if you can. You can get out to other parts of the island one day and chill on the beach another day. Also if there is clubbing involved, you may be a little.. uh.. tired

I am sure Korcula would be wonderful too, not sure what nightlife there is like.

There is a catamaran that can take you from Dubrovnik to either Korcula or Hvar. It can get a bit rough from Dubrovnik to Mljet (the first stop) so if you prone to seasickness or have a hard time watching other people throw up into bags you might think of another way. The catamaran from Korcula to Split or Hvar to Split is pretty smooth.

Driving to Plitvice from Split takes about 3 hours and from Plitvice to Istria 3 to 4 hours depending on where in Istria you are staying. So if you don't mind in the car that long to get there, go for it but try to spend the night.

I would recommend Rovinj to base in, in Istria. It would be a beautiful spot for an anniversary.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:35 AM

oops I forgot to post the catamaran link.
http://krilo.hr/images/Sailing_schedule_DUBROVNIK.pdf
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 09:39 AM

I have to tell you what you don't want to hear (again): it's better to do Dalmatia OR Istria, but what you have laid out is physically possible. I have had the experience of rushing through the south and regretting it, but that led me to return--so no harm I guess! Do you think you will ever return? I am saving Istria, as it makes a nice combo with Venice or Slovenia for example, but I have returned to the coast a few times.
You don't really need a car for Split-Zagreb-Plitvice, but if you prefer one not a biggie. You do need a car for Istria, but it should be no problem to pick up in Split and drop in Zagreb. Have a peek at the drive times on the viamichelin website and maybe sketch out all the day trips you would like to do with your guide book in hand--that will give you a better idea of if this pace is right for you. Good luck!
ps Hvar won't be party central in June, but I would try to do three nights on an island so you have two full days.
Old Jan 11th, 2017, 04:52 PM
kja

It definitely depends on your interests, but you might want to cut one night from Dubrovnik (leaving yourselves with 1.5 days there). Personally, I would take that night and spend it near the Plitvice Lakes – JMO.

Assuming you are willing to skip Zagreb, I would think this itinerary do-able (even if not one I would choose for myself -- do give some thought to yorkshire's questions!). And I agree that your plan to pick up a car when you leave Split makes sense.

I must admit that I found Hvar Town beautiful, but way too party-hearty for my tastes (even in early June and during the day!); in contrast, I loved Korcula. When I was there (late May), there was an outdoor concert at which people were clearly enjoying themselves without being ostentatious or rude. I have no idea what it is like in June or on other nights. You are, I think, fortunate to be getting several different perspectives on these islands.

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 12th, 2017, 07:29 AM

I should add it has been a good while since my last visit to Hvar, hence my notion that it hits its "height" in late July/August. Were I to return tomorrow, I would be looking to stay in Stari Grad instead, but like kja, Korcula has a special place in my heart.