Search

Trip to Paris next week

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Paris next week

Hello,

we are travelling to Paris next Saturday for our honeymoon for 3 nights. I would be grateful for any suggestions as I haven't been for about 20 years (I am 43) and my husband has not ever been!

We are travelling from the UK, Leeds Bradford airport, arriving 1.30 p.m. on 19th January. We are staying at the Relais Bosquet Hotel with view of the Eiffel Tower - hurray!

We plan to spend one day visiting the Musee d'Orsay and walking through to the Champs Elysee and on towards the Bois de Boulogne (excuse my spelling, not got the book to hand!) and we also want to spend another day visiting Sacre Coeur and Montmartre. We hope to take a trip on the Seine with Bateaux Mouches and maybe view Notre Dame. Otherwise we just want to wander around, take in the atmosphere, take lots of photos, perhaps have a quick look in Galleries Lafayette and eat and drink well but not expensively.

Does this sound as if it's possible? We leave CDG at 13.50 on Tuesday 22nd January, so have two full days, although I understand museums close on Mondays, and a little bit of Saturday and a little bit of Tuesday.

We have read about good bistros, patisseries and restaurants around the Rue Champs de Mars, does anyone know any specific names they would recommend?

We have an Eye Witness Travel Guide to Paris, which has lots of information, so shouldn't have problems finding our way around.

Thanks for any help and advice.

wilchil64
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Hi... not sure if the Bois will be attractive in January...

You should list the top 5 things you want to see or do and make sure you get to those first.

I would maybe do the Seine cruise first, then Notre Dame (on your first afternoon).

On Sunday, I'd go to the d'Orsay and then head over to the Marais (which you don't have listed, but is a great area for strolling around).

On Monday, I'd go to the Arc de T, then walk toward Opera Garnier and the Galeries Lafayette... then on to Montmartre and Sacre Coeur (be sure you explore the little streets, not just the tourisy areas).

Tuesday morning you just have time to see the rue Cler market street open up, last look at the Eiffel, then head to the airport.

Here is a thread that discusses restaurants in the 7th:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34998693
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:48 AM
ira

Hi W,

These might help you:

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35095155

Jacquemart-Andre’ Museum http://tinyurl.com/p9pol

Enjoy your visit.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions and the suggested itinary, sounds like a good idea.

I agree, I think we will do the Seine cruise on the first day, good way to start the holiday.

Not sure about the Marais, it does sound charming, hadn't heard of it before, but if we do head that way we will probably take a look.

Not sure about the Bois in winter either, I had heard it was beautiful for walking but it depends on the weather I guess.

Is the street market at rue Cler a famous one or just typical market, fascinating to watch?

Thanks also for the list of restaurants in the 7th and close by, sounds like we will be spoilt for choice. Will let you know how we get on.

Thanks too ira, I'm going to check out those links now.

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:41 PM
ira

Hi W,

>Is the street market at rue Cler a famous one or just typical market, fascinating to watch?

It is famous because Rick Steves touts it.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:45 PM

I mentioned rue Cler b/c it is the nearest market street to your hotel. As far street markets (the roving kind), there is a large one at Bastille on Sunday, which is at one corner of the Marais.