where to travel with the shrinking dollar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all...Every few years we take our 2 adult children on a big trip....we've gone to Russia, Greece, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal and the Colorado and Montana national parks. This year we would like to take a big trip again but are concerned about the cost due to the shrinking US dollar in Europe and Canada. Any suggestions? We are not really interested in the Mid East or Asia or Africa. Have considered Hawaii...we have 3 free tickets for anywhere so sort of would like to maximize their use. We love beaches and culture etc. Thanks for your help.
[email protected]
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 05:51 AM
ira

Hi D,

>where to travel with the shrinking dollar.

One of the smaller countries.

Head South.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:01 AM

Southern South America since you aren't interested in Asia
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:03 AM

South America, the Carribean, Australia, Eastern Europe (in countries not on the Euro), all are pretty good bets for value.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM

Argentina.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:49 AM

I'm not sure that you can make a broad statememt that all of Europe is more expensive. Just looking at the exchange rates is not an indicator of relative expensiveness. For example, I might suggest that NYC is more expensive than a lot of Europe! Alternatively, I might argue that Paris/London can be more expensive than the countryside outside of the cities...and likewise I could argue I could use Priceline to get a cheap hotel in London and Paris...cheaper than NYC.

So...it is a matter of looking at your budget. If you spend $5000 last year, you could go to Europe and spend the same amount or less. You go off season, you look for hotel deals,etc...

Turkey is in Europe. I had a room overlooking the Med in a small fishing village for under $100, including breakfast. Our dinners were easily under US$20 each.

Don't lump all Europe together...It's like telling a Brit that the US is cheap...that Iowa and NYC are both the same price.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM

In EU Europe, the dollar is worth what the dollar is worth. That said, I recently found Barcelona to be a relative bargain. I did not have the same experience in Madrid.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM

Definitely Argentina-Buenos Aires is considered the Paris of South America. It is a wonderful city with lots of things to see and do and the FOOD!!! A nice glass of Melbac and their fabulous meat-heaven..........
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Argentina!!! We took our family along with my cousins for Christmas in 2006. One of the best travel experiences EVER!! We've traveled extensively around the world and we fell in love with this beautiful South American country. We all agreed it's like Europe without the attitude or cost! The people are very friendly and the prices could not be beat! 4 star meals for 10 costing less than $200 USD. really wonderful. Stayed in BA and Patagonia in Bariloche and went to the Moreno glacier. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. Our college age children stayed on and went to Salta. Had a great time! Check out this incredible country!
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:26 AM

You can still find good prices in some of the euro countries. We always found Germany to be less expensive than most of the countries in Europe we have been to. We are going back again in April and all of the apartments and hotels we have booked are under 100 euro per night. Our apartment near Berchtesgaden has amazing views and is super clean and comfortable runs 70 euro for 2 bedrooms.

Many think that eastern Europe is expensive, but it depends on where you are going. We didn't really find Croatia to be any less expensive than most of western Europe, with hotels being very pricy. Slovenia was relatively inexpensive when we went in late in 06, but now that it's on the Euro I'm not really sure.

You may also want to look at Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey or some of the countries in South America.

Tracy
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Oops, that was supposed to be "Many think that eastern Europe is INexpensive"

Tracy
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:47 AM

Since the Dollar is dropping so low, maybe you should change your expectations for your trip.

Instead looking for a **** star hotels, check out staying at a ** star-toilets down the corridor. This will spread you budget to other costs.

Again, forget finding the best restaurants, best bakeries, best ???? while you're in Paris.

Give it a try at street food. Find a crepe wagon and order a crepe complet. Or even better, find a shop with Murguez sausages inside a baguette. Onions, salad, and harissa sauce. That's a typical French street meal.

Forget taking day trips. They're costly and you can find good things to visit within Paris.

Shop from the markets and buy some things for your lunch. Find a small park and spent your meal while the world passes.

Downsizing is a current buzzword. Your vacations will still be fun but it's just cheaper.

Blackduff
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Turkey is a spectacular country and super cheap. Most of western Turkey is more upscale than much of Europe with some of the most beautiful coast and turquoise waters that you will ever see. It is a great and cheap place to hire a sailboat and visit wonderful islands and beaches . We were there in high season and it was not crowded anywhere.

The historical sights there are astounding...more Greek ruins than Greece, more Roman ruins than Italy. Both apostles Paul and John the Beloved, spent time in Ephesus area if that interests you. Lyceum way hiking trails or following the steps of St Paul, Troy, Pumukkale...the only place you can swim in roman ruins etc etc.

Cappadocia is spectacularly beautiful and unique...again with fascinating cultural and historic sights like breathtaking frescoes, 5000 year old caves and underground cities. Beautiful luxury lodgings at low prices & fantastic food,

Istanbul is as beautiful as ( & similar in looks) to San Francisco or Barcelona, but with an exotic and rich past & the only city that is situated both in Europe and Asia.

You will not find friendlier people than Turkey who will give you such stupendous service that they will spoil you for any where else.

Turkey is the European jewel that most Europeans know about, but most Americans have not figured it out yet and have irrational fears about it. We did it on our own and could not believe how cheap, easy and great it was.

We have spent the last 16 months traveling Europe and we were very impressed with Turkey ( Morocco was another favorite, but not nearly as cheap and MUCH more exotic ( & dirty) which does not seem to be your thing). Croatia is also great, pristine & beautiful ( looks like Turkey in many ways) but not nearly as cheap.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 08:55 AM

Try the Middle East - many of the currencies are linked to the USD so for Americans the prices won't have changed

Teach me not to read the full posting

Beaches and culture, not too expensive?

Croatia (Dalmatian coast) and Western Turkey.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Why not Asia?

Exotic, rich in history, beautiful beaches, friendly people, great food, inexpensive.

Thailand would be my first choice for a family vacation.

5* hotels/resorts for less than $200 a night.

great 3-4* places for ~$100

transportation and food are dirt cheap.

China, Vietnam are some other possibilities.

South America

Argentina or Chile - can't go wrong with either one.

Central America

Costa Rica

USA

SE coast - N or S Carolina, Georgia (all 3 states have wonderful beaches, mountains, history), NE Florida (St.Augustine, the oldest US city, beautiful beaches)

Old Jan 10th, 2008, 11:21 AM

cheryllj, as I mentioned above we really didn't find Croatia to be much less expensive than other parts of Europe. Some things, such as hotels, were more expensive. I think that at one time Croatia was quite the bargain but now that it's more of a hot spot those days seem to be long gone. Beautiful it certainly is, but if one is looking for a true bargain I suggest looking elsewhere.

Tracy
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Like Tracy, we are big fans of Germany. We have been there several times in the last few years and always feel like we get good value for our money. You can find nice hotels for under $100, especially outside the big cities which we enjoy more anyway.

We always rent a car and even with higher gas prices feel it's less expensive and gives us more flexibility than traveling by train. We rent our cars thru www.gemut.com and find that they have very good rates.

Also, Germany is one of the most beautiful countries in Europe with mountains, lakes, rivers, castles, and museums. And you can't beat the great food and wine.
Old Jan 10th, 2008, 04:43 PM

Tracy: Would you feel free to share a list of the hotels and apartments that you have booked for your upcoming trip to Germany? I would love to return to Germany, staying a month or so, and leasing an apartment. We've always stayed in hotels, but I'm sure renting an apartment would be less expensive.
My email is [email protected]

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -