trip suggestions

Search

trip suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip suggestions

i greatly appreciate your input. now is the real task! well i will have a car and be doing a road trip from june 18-july 1 as follows. any hotel suggestions and restaurants, little bars would be greatly appreciated. will have a car(and enjoy driving) and have to do work while enjoying the cities as well(hence the time spent in various parts). would like to stay on the seaside (seaview) in amalficoast and south of france and wouldn't mind paying about $200-250 /night but the other places would like little charming eccentric places that dont cost more than $100(roughly). in paris i was told latin quarter or marais would be ideal. thanks for the info. june18/19 amalfi coast, 20 rome, 21,22,23, florence , 24 tuscany, 25 venice, 26 milan, 27 cotedazure, 28,29 piemonte, 30 milan, 1 paris. also, will have a full day layover in london.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 05:48 AM

my suggestion is to repost with a more meaningful title like "Need suggestions for Amalfi coast, south of france etc.."
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Personally I think you have too many one night stays.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:57 AM

I'm really not trying to be sarcastic, but is this schedule for real?
If this is true, please reconsider. This is just way tooooo much to see in that time period.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Looks like you need to book 10 different hotels! Make sure your hotels have a place for your car - many on the Amalfi Coast do not.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:04 AM

I agree with the others. While I have nothing against one nighters in principle, this itinerary does not make sense.

You don't just beam yourself from place to place. It'll take you most of a day to get from your Amalfi hotel to Rome hotel, check-in, park, get oriented.

to paraphrase.. "Rome can't be visited in a day"

ditto for Tuscany, Venice, Milan, etc. too much transit, not enough just staying put. Far better to take a fun trip to Italy than take a "road trip" all around Italy, especially with the cost of gas and tolls. If you drive less, for what you save on those you could up your hotel allowance by $20-30/day, maybe more.
Old May 6th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Jenny,

All of your chosen destinations merit much more time. If you keep to this schedule, I am afraid you will end up seeing very little, experiencing very little of the true beauty around you, feeling very little except the exhaustion of getting from one place to another.

Which of these distinations are the most important to you? Would it be maybe the style of the south of France, the history of Florence, the wines and food of Piemonte? Take some time and think about three distinations which would mean the most to you. Build your trip around those three distinations. Find accomodations which you feel are appropriate for what you want --- small hotels? Nice bed and breakfasts? Agriturismi? I would think about elminating the Amalfi coast just due to the stress of driving that distance and opt instead for Liguria's treasures, which are more in line geographically with the rest of your trip. I do understand you enjoy driving. I do too. But the huge distances and short stays may be more stressful, and again, to really see any of the lovely destinations on your trip, you need more time.

In your position, I would probably do something like:

Fly in Milano:

then

Piemonte/Liguria

Then

Florence / Tuscany (including Siena)

Come back up through Venice to Milan

then fly back from Milan to Paris

This is just one of many possibilities for smoothing things out a bit, giving you more time for truly making worthwhile day trips from chosen destinations, and would enable you to see, really see, soooo much more!!

Best of luck,

Diana