Notices

Trip Report St. Remy

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report St. Remy

Our family of four (children 7 & 11) just returned from a week in Paris (Paris Perfect - Bordeaux Apt) followed by a week in St. Remy at Provence Paradise. Plenty of Paris Perfect reviews on this forum (we had a good experience consistent with the reviews) so this trip report will focus on St. Remy. We took the TGV to Avignon which was easy (note decent food and wine is available for purchase on the train). We thought the first class upgrade, not much more with the advance PREMS fare, was worth it. We used Morgan's instructions to navigate the SNCF site. The club configuration of 4 seats around a table worked well for our family and given our luggage we were also glad to have picked seats on the first level. Picked up a car at the Avignon TGV station which was easy as well, and had a short, pleasant drive to St. Remy. We stayed at Provence Paradise (L'Orangerie). This cottage was perfect for our family, and even more charming than the pictures on the web site. The loft had two twin beds that worked well for our kids. The main bedroom was private and comfortable, and we loved leaving the window open at night which looked over the pool. Both sleeping areas had AC which we did use since it was August. The kitchen was very well stocked with everything you need for cooking in, as well as a generous supply of provisions (including a welcome dinner, wine and beer, and milk and ice cream for the kids). The furnishings were comfortable and a great blend of historic and Provincal touches. The fireplace looks like it would be great at colder times of the year. The private patio was a perfect place for a sunny breakfast or an afternoon glass of wine. My parents and adult brother stayed in Le Moulin Vieil, which had plenty of room for family gatherings and dinners. We enjoyed the flexibility of being able to eat in on occasion, particularly with our children sometimes running out of enthusiasm for late French dinners. The grounds and pool are beautiful, and a very relaxing place to spend the afternoon recovering from touring Provence. The overall "hamlet" was great for our small family get together, and would work well for larger groups as well. The owner is William Moore, and as noted on Trip Advisor reviews, he and his staff really go above and beyond to make your stay special and see to your every need. The personal touch went way past making reservations and dropping off fresh croissants and pain au chocolate every morning. He even offered to take my son to an off the beaten path Roman ruin if we did not have time. St. Remy itself is charming and a great location from which to explore Provence. Highlights for us included the Van Gogh walk and Glanum ruins in St. Remy, a day trip to Avignon, kayaking under the Pont du Gard, a visit to Les Baux, and the Roman museum and bull games in Arles. We flew home on an early connecting flight from the Marseille airport, so dropped the car off and spent the last night at the Pullman Hotel at the airport which was surprisingly nice for an airport location and made the logistics easy.

Old Aug 18th, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hi there, so glad that you had a great experience at Provence Paradise. We stayed there last September (Les Bastide) and back up everything you have said from the beautiful cottages to William and his staff, magic. We hope to return in 2009.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Sounds lovely - thanks for the feedback. I think I will put it on the list of possible places to visit next time!
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 03:41 PM

Good info - thanks for reporting back.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 03:24 PM

My husband and I spent a lovely week in Provence Paradise in early March 2010. L'Orangerie was such a cozy home, we enjoyed our crackling fire every evening, and during the days there was so much to see and do. We particularly enjoyed the wine tour of the Luberon with charming Francois, which William set up for us.