Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Report -- Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Bruges and Rome....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me start by thanking all who offered suggestions, tips, and recommendations. We arrived back on tues., and enjoyed virtually every minute of our trip.

Paris -- Upon arrival, we dropped off our things at our daughter's apt., which is just down the block from St. Suplice. We spent most that day at Musee D'Orsay, which we enjoyed. I'd expected to enjoy it, but was really impressed with the building it is in. The old train station was a work of art in itself. I regretted grabbing a quick lunch on the way, since it had two very appealing restaurants. One was located in the area where the huge, glass clock is [seen from both inside and outside], and looked like a nice spot to take a break. For dinner, we had a relaxed dinner in my daughter's apt., so I can't offer restaurant advice, other than I am partial to her neighborhood for it's charm and the many restaurant choices. On Sat., we strolled down streets in her area, doing some shopping, ordered a crepe to go, and ate on 'our' seat, on Pont Neuf, and found some unusual glassware and other items in an art gallery, just off St. Suplice. Also spent some time in St. Suplice, which is a beautiful church, and is where Victor Hugo was married. Sat. night we did an evening boat tour, starting from Pont Neuf, which we enjoyed much more than the one we took last year from closer to the Arch de Triumph. On Sunday, we spent the morning in Jardin de Luxembourg, which is a beautiful spot to relax. Since this was our second visit to the city, we enjoyed a more leisurely pace, and took time to soak in the atmosphere.

Brussels -- We left for Brussels on Sun. afternoon, and were a bit disappointed upon arrival. Our initial impression was not favorable after coming from such a beautiful city. Then we walked in to Grand Place, and had an 'Oh Wow' moment. That area was beautiful, and we timed it perfectly to grab a table and relax over a Belgian beer just in time to watch some folk dancers. What a welcome to the city! I believe I actually found some decent buys on a couple lace and tapestry items, and thanks to my daughter living there [as well as Paris] she knew some great local spots for dinner, and lunch the following day. A requirement was that it have a selection of local beers, and my husband was very happy with his selections!

Amsterdam was our next destination. Here, we stayed at the Marriott, and loved the location. We have heard some negative comments from a relative and a friend, regarding their experiences in Amsterdam. In both cases, they stayed closer to the section of town were their drugs were purchased. In one case, they kept being harassed to purchase some, including bicycle riders stopping them! We had no experiences like that. I found the city charming, friendly, laid back [ there could be a reason for that....] and very easy to adjust to by someone who doesn't speak the language. It was the most English friendly city I've been to so far. I'm usually intimidated by the fact that I don't speak the language. Here, you're barely aware that it's NOT the language of the country.
I loved the Rijkmuseum most of all. For me, coming from Paris, with museums like the Louvre and Musee D'Orsay, the Van Gogh was a bit too sterile for my taste, though I enjoyed the art work. We purchased the Amsterdam City Pass, and it proved to be a good deal. We used it to explore the city by tram, and took two canal boat tours. The one across from the Marriott was excellent. There was a coupon for it in the book. The Ann Frank house was very moving, and the canals were so picturesque and charming. It's amazing how many flowers there are to pick from at the floating flower market. I got 5 dozen two tone tulips for 5E. What a buy! My daughter enjoyed them when we brought them back to her Brussels apt., and they were still going strong when we returned from Rome a week later!

We spent a day in Bruges, and regretted not spending a night there, to be able to enjoy the city in the morning before the crowds hit the area. The town is so charming. It has become apparent to me that my favorite travel sights involve medieval towns! From areas in England, to the Latin Quarter and St. Germain areas of Paris, to Bruges, that is what most intrigues me.

We left early Sat. a.m. for Rome. The city is beautiful, and the history is overwhelming. We spent the first afternoon at the Galleria Borghese, which was impressive, as much for it's location, as for it's contents. I could have spent a day just in the gardens and surrounding property. Our hotel was good, and just down the street from Borghese Gallery. It was Hotel Cecil. The rooms were spotless, and the staff there was very helpful. Our first dinner was at Dal Bolognese, which was excellent. Our second night, we had dinner at a restaurant that was recommended by our hotel, called Montevecchio. This restaurant is just a few streets away from Piazza Navonna, on a small, quiet street. It was also excellent, and better priced than the first restaurant. We enjoyed the atmosphere of the small resaurant, and the service was excellent. The room was charming, with one wall entirely filled with wine bottles. The other wall had a huge painting. There were candles and votives around the room, and it created a relaxed, romantic atmosphere. We loved the dishes we had there. The noodles bolognese were so delicious, and the pasta Ametriciana was delicious. I was determined to have something different from home, and bravely tried the rabbit, which turned out to be delicious, and rather mild tasting. My husband had baby lamb, which was also excellent. For dessert, we shared a tiramisu that was so light. Nothing we've had here could compare to the one we had there.

We wisely arrived early to the Colosseum, and had just a short wait. By the time we left, around 10:30, there was a long line to get in. The surrounding area there is one photo op after another. And, the history is mind boggling. It is all around you, and hard to actually grasp. To think you're walking through a structure that hadn't been used for it's purpose since the 600's! Of course, we managed to take several gelato breaks, and sampled several different flavors, some of which I had no clue what they were!

All in all, a truly inspiring and enjoyable trip. If I can be of any help, please feel free to ask.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:10 PM

LoisL

Welcome home. I'm glad you had an enjoyable and safe travels. Having spent time in all the cities you traveled to, I really enjoyed reading your trip report. Amsterdam is my favorite. Did you have a chance to see any of the tulip fields in Holland?
Now....start planning for your next journey. Peace.

Robyn
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Lois, That clock was a favorite of mine too, I had the picture I snapped of it made into greeting cards.
wlecome back.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM

Great report Lois, thanks. Reading your report reminded me of why I will never tire of Europe. I had several Oh Wow moments in Rome in Feb. The Trevi Fountain at night was awesome! I loved the Borghese Gallery and Gardens as well.

As Robyn said - you can now start planning your next trip. Welcome back!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Oh my gosh, I should be so lucky as to have a daughter living in Paris (down the street from St. Sulpice, no less) and one living in Brussels!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Original Poster

I don't know if I should say this so soon, but I am ALREADY planning my next trip! I'm doing a mother-daughter trip with my youngest daughter as a grad. school graduation celebration. We will be spending part of the time with my middle daughter at her Brussels apt. [one daughter, two apts.] since she's been to Paris. We will return to Amsterdam since I did love it and want to share it with her. I also want to get to Bruges with her. Then, my daughters and I will do a weekend in a new city. My one daughter is running out of cities she hasn't been to! [and she has already been to every continent! -- don't know who gave who the travel bug......] Once we decide on our 'new' city, I'll most likely be back online, asking for advice! Poor hubby will have to miss this one, due to work.