Glacier Express

Apr 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Glacier Express

Hi,

We're thinking about taking the Glacier Express and stopping off in perhaps Chur. Unfortunately, we only have 4 days in CH and really want to see some of the countryside. Is the Glacier Express worth it or would we be better driving? Is there other areas that are more scenic? If we do the train, are there other towns recommended other than Chur?

Sorry for all the questions. I really appreciate your comments and input.

Thank you,
Apr 14th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Good morning, Linda I assume you will be taking the Glacier Exprews from
Zermatt or Brig.. Would think that the most senic part of the Glacier Express would be the the Albula line of the RHB that runs from Filsur to Pontresina/St. Moritz, including ghe
Landwasser viaduct..Another senic one would be over the Bernina Pass to Tirano, IT.. Seperate reservations were required for the dining car....
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
Apr 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Singletail

Some will tell you to spend your time in the Berner Oberland instead. I've taken the Glacier Express three times and I agree that the "eastern end" of the trip between Chur and St. Moritz is quite scenic, so is the middle section between Brig and Chur including the area known as "The Goms."
I think the trip is "worth it" if you want to simply sit back and view fantastic scenery WITHOUT having to look at the highway, one person having to drive/work, etc., etc.
If you do decide to take it or the Bernina Express or any of the so-called "scenic" trains do yourself a favor and reserve seats in the First Class Panorama Coach...despite what Rick Steves ("I always actually travel First Class while extolling the virtues of Second") might say, these seats are THE BEST way to ride on these particular trains.

Only once you've dont it can you actually decide if it was "worth it" or not.

Apr 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. Since you mentioned Berner Oberland, I've done some research on that area and it looks beautiful. Are both areas too much to see in 4 days or would we be better off just doing say Berner Oberland. I would love to see both sides of Alps but don't want to do either side an injustice (with only 4 days I'm probably already doing that).
Apr 15th, 2004, 01:09 PM

Having done both, the Berner Oberland wins hands down with us. We think that area is the prettiest part of the world (that we have seen). 4 days will give you time to see and enjoy and hike and do whatever you wish to do. The Glacier Express would be much more scenic in the winter when everything is covered in snow.

Just an opinion.

Jinx Hoover
Apr 15th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jinx, Berner Oberland is now the destination. Would Interlaken be the best place to stay and take the cog-wheel train? I understand the Briez-Rothorn is the best for scenic.

You guys are great on this board and I really appreciate your help.
Apr 15th, 2004, 07:53 PM

Lot of possibilities. You can stay in Interlaken and take a train up into the Valleys and on to other sites. Or you can stay out around one of the lakes (Thun or Brienz). Or you can stay up in the lower reaches of the Alps--Lauterbrunnen or Murren or Wengen or Grindlewald. Lauterbrunnen might be the best choice--you can catch trains to Murren or Wengen. And you have good hiking right from Lauterbrunnen. Trummelbach Falls is nearby. Parasailing from Schynige Platte is a definite "high".

Regards,

Jinx Hoover