Looking for a trip report re: train from Paris to Bruges to Amsterdam

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2013, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am searching for a trip report I read a few weeks ago. It was about a trip by train from Paris to Belgium (Bruges I think) and then on to Amsterdam. I would like to take a similar trip and can't find this trip report. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 07:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can scroll through the list of trip reports and see if one rings a bell.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tripreport.cfm
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

KY - I have! For hours now. I printed it out a couple of weeks ago for my husband to read, now he can't find it and I can't find it here either. I am hoping the traveler or someone who read it remembers and can link me.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM

Was there something special about this trip report? Because taking a train from Paris to Bruges to Amsterdam isn't much of a challenge. What do you need to know?
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

It was an interesting report and I thought it would be a very helpful jumping off place. Well, I will just get busy with my own research. I have seen several good threads about train travel in Europe and it seems like you are right StCirq, not a huge challenge. Thanks and I will probably have questions.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>I printed it out a couple of weeks ago for my husband to read, now he can't find it and I can't find it here either.<<<

Were people posting on it or was it an older report you were just reading? If people were posting, narrow the search to the last month (or when you think you printed it).
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you post on the TR? Or do you remember a specific Fodorite who did?

Then you can look on that person's profile for threads they've posted to. But if it is a really prolific poster, the list may be looooong.

Or - do you remember a distinctive word/phrase from the thread? If so, you can do an advanced search.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Ky, thanks. I guess my memory has failed me. I am doing all those things in my search but haven't found it. Off to figure out our own trip.
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:36 AM

Maybe these will help you out...

This one is 2009 Amsterdam>Bruges>Paris
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-may-2009.cfm

2010 Amsterdam>Bruges>Paris
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-paris.cfm
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 11:52 AM

or.....
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-beyond.cfm
Old Jul 1st, 2013, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut, thank you! I think Basingstoke's trip report was the one. I hadn't gone back far enough and I was just sitting back down to start in again. All of these will be a great help to us. Thank you again. I have printed them all out and will not entrust them to my DH.
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 11:25 AM

Must not be his first offense, lol!
Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:53 PM

Just a suggestion. I use to print out tons of reports but now as I plan for a 2014 trip I email the story to myself and put it in a separate folder so I can access it later to read,email to my husband or print out.
Old Jul 9th, 2013, 04:14 PM

Hi,Sandy2 and fellow travelers,

I just did a reverse train journey in late June: Amsterdam (4 nights), then Bruges (2 nights), and then on to Paris (5 nights-4th visit to Paris). I wanted the quickest way to each city, so I eliminated the slower, multiple stop trains. I wasn’t able to order my train tickets on the Belgium or French railway lines because after I went through all the steps on the websites, my credit card just wasn’t being accepted. Tried different times (sometimes at night/others in the AM) but it just wouldn’t go through. I could of pursued the issue, but I reluctantly ordered my tickets from U.S.-based Rail Europe. Easy to navigate website, yes, and because I spent x number of dollars booking the Amsterdam-Bruges leg and then the Bruges-Paris leg, I had free shipping as the TGV tickets had to be mailed. I know I paid a bit more for them through Rail Europe, but not that much more. And,hey, I am helping to keep Americans in jobs! . When I booked our daytrip from Paris to Rheims separately on Rail Europe I was able to print those out at home without a fee. I did review the website seat61.com for background information about the trains.

We went 2nd class and Rail Europe did group our three seats together. Another friend and her two daughters ordered their tickets a week later and ended up next to us. Made me wonder if Rail Europe has a certain “block” of seats. Stowing luggage was easy if you had a roll on that was not stuffed as you could fit it in the overhead hanging shelf above your seat. Bigger luggage was tricky because there was not enough room for all the larger pieces of luggage to fit in the luggage bin at the end of the carriage. People just sort of stacked them and blocked one of the exits. Made me nervous a bit as the mound became stacked three high. I stayed with the luggage not sure what the agent would do as we had one piece of luggage at the bottom of the stack. Once the train started up the agent came around and good naturedly began to fit the luggage pieces in a better order. I went back to my seat at the other end of the car but always popped up when the train came to a stop to check on the luggage. One station agent warned us to always watch our luggage at stops to prevent theft. When we traveled on the TGV first class (cheaper than second class at the time of booking) from Paris to Reims, the luggage storage area was much bigger and wouldn’t not have been a problem had we had all our luggage.

On the shorter parts of a train ride such as Amsterdam airport to Amsterdam Central station, we just stayed near the exists, not venturing up four or five flights of stairs to the top floor or going down three or four steps to the bottom floor. That was a 25 minute ride or so. We also stood up during the Belgium to Bruge leg on the local train. It was just too much hassle to do otherwise.

Getting luggage off and on the train sometimes required an awkward step or two but no real problems. Every train station had an elevator and escalators for ease in moving luggage to another floor. I purposely built in a longer break at the Belgium station (from six minutes to more like half an hour) between trains so we didn’t feel rushed or stressed trying to get to another part of the train station to catch the train. Generally the TGV trains we used arrived early so we were able to easily get settled before the train departed the station.

The restrooms were functional although carrying Kleenex came in handy when there was just a loose roll of toilet paper in the restroom and who knows if that had rolled around on the ground. I always pack a small, ziplock baggie with a damp washcloth and a stump of soap saved from the hotel in case soap isn’t available. The two college students of our friend’s daughter always brought out the hand sanitizer but being old-school, I prefer water and soap.

In closing, I didn’t buy any snacks on board although I did visit the food car just to check it out—definitely just snacks and drinks. Our luggage held up well…both Samsonite pieces with sturdy wheels and strongly-made grips and ease of motion. We had a wonderful trip!! Hope you do, too, and this info. helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Jul 10th, 2013, 05:22 AM
Slw

Janeyre, that is exactly the trip we are doing except only 4 nights in Paris. Thank you so much for your response, the information is so helpful. It is interesting about the trains - I haven't tried to book yet but will soon. I also used seat61 for guidance. I have a couple of credit cards I can try so maybe that will help.