Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip report etiquette from a first timer to Italy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all -- Just returned from our first trip to Italy...Rome, Florence, Venice, and a week in Tuscany. I am currently avoiding the real world by browsing Fodors and dreaming about my trip. Anyway, I would be happy to share info directly with anyone who wants more detail than the general Fodors readers might be interested in. Would it be best to post my e-mail address or do a trip report? Do people really want to read another report, even though I'm sure my trip was particularly wonderful, and my insights especially astute? (kidding)
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Definitely post your trip report!!!
Try to include the names of shops and restaurants if you remember them too
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Definitely post the report here! Private emails don't do the Fodors board any good. And bring on the detail...we want it all!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:46 PM

Post a trip report. You can always offer your email address for further questions, but it's always fun to browse trip reports. Of course, I'm selfishly interested because we're going to Venice, Florence and Tuscany this summer!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM

Do tell all and quickly...please. We leave for Europe in two weeks...London, Rome, Florence and Venice.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 01:55 PM
ira

Hi Natalie,

> Do people really want to read another report, even though I'm sure my trip was particularly wonderful, and my insights especially astute? <

Absolutely. Who knows if we will run across another MFK Fisher?

There is no etiquette, no format, no style manual.

PS, if you don't send in a report within 30 days of your return, the Fodor's computer sends a message that disables you computer.

Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM

ira,

<<There is no etiquette, no format, no style manual.>>

Yes, yes, but please use paragraph breaks often to facilitate reading.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:25 PM

europhile, part of my point was that in addition to posting the original report here, it's better to ask and answer any follow-on questions here, where everyone can benefit from the information. I'm going to Italy in Sept and look forward to the report.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 02:33 PM

Please post your trip report. I'm doing an identical tour, going to Rome, Florence, Venice, and a 6 day bike tour in Tuscany. I would love to hear where you stayed, how you got to each location, recommendations, etc.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Please, please, please post a report QUICKLY! We are leaving for Italy on 11 June and would love to hear what you have to say!
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:31 AM
cmt

There is no etiquette. Post a trip report if you feel like it. Don't post one if you don't want to.

There are many many trip reports here, but most users of the forum never post a trip report. Some people love to read all trip reports, some like only certain styles of trip reports, and some don't read trip reports at all. I usually skip reading them, because I don't like to read very long posts on the Internet, and I find it distracting to read a report with all the comments by other people posted in between each report post. It seems like a huge chore to me. (I particularly dislike dry factual reports that detail the contents of each meal and the furnishings of each hotel room.) But even though I may not read them, I'm not at all bothered by their presence here. On rare occasions, I've read a trip report that was highly recommended and found it beautifuly written, personal, stimulating or funny, entertaining and very much worth reading. However, generally the trip reports would've been easier to read in print, or, if on the Internet, as least in some format other than message board posts. That reminds me, I need to look for a recent trip report by Ger. I always like hers, though in general, I'm not a fan of trip reports on a message board.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 03:56 AM

I read trip reports for facts and views and local colour. I urge you to post one and I am sure it will be good.

Readers like me appreciate it when posters include addresses, telephone numbers and websites, where possible.

Subjective assessments and personal insights on a place or area are often useful. They give you the feel or the mood of a place. When a poster says of Warsaw "No-one here ever smiles", that is relevant info, IMO.

Finally, it's not a blog. There's a lot of purely personal detail on some reports and it clogs the rapportage. "I wore my Prada trainers and a very chic Frenchwoman told me they looked GREAT" -- that sort of thing.

If I may sub-join, recklessly, a personal note about Italy reports: I would like the topic of gelato banned. Enough already.