Trip report: 3 weeks in Scandinavia in July 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently back from an epic tour through the Nordic countries, and I blogged daily while traveling. We traveled through Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Estonia and Iceland, getting around by plane, train and cruise ship/ferry. I'm happy to report that we avoided all of the travel woes that are making headlines this summer! (including Covid)

Take a look at the words and pictures if you're so inclined!

https://scandinavia2022.wordpress.com/

(Note that there are Wordpress ads on the site, but I don't make any money from them.)

blue: ship / orange: train / pink: plane

Last edited by RaymondLuxuryYacht; Aug 10th, 2022 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added tags
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 04:44 PM

Wow, what an awesome trip!
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BethHar
Wow, what an awesome trip!
Thanks Beth, I’m glad you enjoyed my trip reports.

I get much more enjoyment out of gathering and sharing my daily thoughts and photos in this manner than posting on social media. It also makes for a nice publication to look back on over the years and help me relive those moments.

Happy travels!
Old Aug 19th, 2022, 02:01 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing. Great photos and helpful details.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 02:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful trip throughout Scandinavia. Your research certainly paid off! This is a keeper for a future Scandinavian trip planning!
Excellent job!!
Old Feb 12th, 2023, 07:37 AM

I enjoyed reading your blog as we’re going to Copenhagen and Stockholm this May.

We plan the days much like you, start with a list of places and things to do, then sit down and decide the night before what’s going to be on the agenda.

Lots of good and useful info, thank you, Raymond!

Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 02:37 AM

Good morning! Enjoying your blog.

I am thinking of Copenhagen and Stockholm this summer - open jaw tickets with a flight to Stockholm in the middle.

If you had exactly ten full on-the-ground days to spend would you split it right down the middle (5 and 5) or would you give an extra day to Stockholm? Just starting my research.

Thank you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flygirl
If you had exactly ten full on-the-ground days to spend would you split it right down the middle (5 and 5) or would you give an extra day to Stockholm? Just starting my research.
That's a bit of a tough call, because both cities offer a lot of great activities. But also, five full days in each would give you a solid chunk of time in both, so you can't really go wrong.

We had less than that amount of time in both cities and saw a lot, so you'll have no problem. I'd recommend considering a day trip in each (Stockholm, consider a day trip to Drottningholm Palace; Copenhagen, consider Roskilde or the Louisiana Museum).
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 11:44 AM

You can take a boat trip around the archipelago in Stockholm, 5 days is ample time to see what there is there inc the boat trip & other further afield excursions.

You don't need 5 days for Copenhagen itself but having that time gives you the opportunity to explore north Sjælland which is delightful in summer. All accessible by train.
Old Aug 25th, 2023, 04:28 AM

RaymondLuxuryYacht,

I've been glued to your WordPress trip report and Google Doc. You've been a lifeline in our attempt to avoid doing a cruise.

My first attempts at starting a DIY Denmark, Norway, Sweden itinerary using other web resources had my head spinning, and then I found this post and your link. Within 24 hours, I managed to come up with a sketch of a 14-day trip, and I've booked our flights to Copenhagen with a return from Stockholm. I broke it to my husband last night, and I showed him some of your pictures. He's on board.

Be prepared--I'm going to pump you for info in the next few months.

Tack!
AZ