Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Solo in Scandinavia and Paris 3 weeks in July & August 2018

Old Sep 16th, 2018, 04:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So just in case there was any doubt it was HOT in Europe in July and August! I’m positive some records were broken 😊

A brief summary of my trip:
  • I travelled by myself. Not my first solo trip and certainly won’t be my last.
  • I did the Classic Scandinavia tour with Gate1Travel and really enjoyed the experience
  • I travelled from Australia
  • I arrived in Copenhagen a day before the start of the tour
  • The tour took us from Copenhagen (2 nights), Gothenburg (1 night), Oslo (2 nights), Lillehammer (1 night), Sogndal (1 night), Bergen (2 nights)
  • I went on the Flam railway and Sognefjord as part of the tour
  • From Bergen I travelled to Stockholm for 4 nights and a further 2 nights in Copenhagen, finishing with 3 nights in Paris
  • I flew between cities Bergen to Stockholm, Stockholm to Copenhagen, Copenhagen to Paris
  • I stayed in Imperial Hotel Copenhagen, Downtown Camper Stockholm, Kong Arthur Hotel Copenhagen and The Hoxton Paris (Booked direct with hotels). The rest were tour hotels.
Impressions and thoughts:
  • I loved Copenhagen. The city has a great young vibe. The food and drink scene is incredible. Really spoilt for choice. Danish people are good looking and super friendly 😊
  • Copenhagen airport is a great entry way to Europe. So easy, friendly and helpful.
  • I felt completely safe everywhere including in Paris.
  • I took out Aud100 equivalent in Danish Kroner at Copenhagen airport from an atm and then didn’t bother getting cash anywhere else. Just about everywhere took credit cards and quite a lot of places had Apple Pay too.
  • IMO Norway was beautiful but I feel like you can see similar in Switzerland, New Zealand or Canada.
  • Copenhagen and Stockholm I would say are similar to Sydney or Melbourne in terms of how expensive food and transport was. But Norway was next level! Everything was $$$$
  • While food was expensive, everything from the 7/11 sandwiches to full service restaurants were serving high quality good food. Never had a disappointing meal in the whole trip.
  • Saw a lot of Tesla cars in Norway and many charging station to go with the cars.
  • Swedish are so clever! Volvo, Electrolux, H&M, IKEA and ABBA.... Really doesn’t get better does it 😊
  • SAS cancelled my direct flight from Bergen to Stockholm and rerouted me via Trondheim 😏 got the text msg at 10:30pm the night before the 9am flight. Not a happy camper but they got me there.
  • Flew with Vueling, Norwegian and SAS. They much the same. Norwegian probably wins the stakes because they were on time and no other issues. The Vueling flight to Paris was delayed by an hour.
  • There was no air conditioning anywhere! Not even in the department stores or airports. Certainly not in any of the hotels I stayed in although they all kindly provided fans. Only in some 7/11 I think.
  • Speaking of 7/11 - they are the best! I wish we had similar in at home. They served a variety of food and often had some basic seating.
  • Public transport in Copenhagen and Stockholm was fantastic.
  • Copenhagen card is great value; Stockholm Card not so much.
  • I had 2 outstanding experiences through Airbnb experiences in Copenhagen and Paris
I was wondering if there’s any interest from the forum in my going into detail? Such as what I did and where I ate?
Old Sep 16th, 2018, 06:10 AM

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Love detail, please. I agree about 7/11. I used to think they were some small outfit only to be found in a few places. Little did I know until we hit Asia.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Day 1 Copenhagen

Arrival into Copenhagen airport after travelling for 28 hours was a relief. I realised that I forgot my Rick Steves Scandinavia guide book at home. So the first thing I did as I waited for my suitcase was download the Ebook version.

*For the Australian travellers, Vodafone offers $5 a day red roaming for their customers.

I used the directions in the book to find the tourist information desk and got my 2 day Copenhagen card. Using the citymapper app and the book, I took the train to Central Station and walked to Imperial Hotel. I would not recommend this hotel. It’s convenient to the train station but I’m sure there are nicer hotels for a lower price. This is a big tour hotel, rooms were not particularly clean and desk staff were not the most helpful. Since I had arrived at the hotel at 8am, my room wasn’t ready and I was asked to come back at 1pm and they were happy to store my luggage. I asked to use the facilities but they were disgusting!

Anyway I made my way to Torvehallerne food hall which was not far from the hotel and had a expensive but delicious oatmeal breakfast at Grod.

From there I walked to the Round Tower just in time for opening 😊 Such an interesting walk up. There was a museum in one of the rooms off the main walk up. No stairs just a ramp walk up for great venues of sunny Copenhagen! I strolled down to Stroget and the took a peak at some of the shops. I took the canal cruise included in the Copenhagen Card from Gammel Strand. Along the I saw the Opera House, Amalienborg Palace, Christiansborg Palace, the Black Diamond Library, a glimpse of Christiania, Church of our Saviour and the Little Mermaid. All of the sights with colourful commentary from the guide. I caught the bus back to the hotel, had a quick sandwich at a small cafe across the road and a shower and short rest in my room. But Copenhagen was calling😊 I went to the Carlsberg Glyptotek which is a stunning museum. There’s even a statue of Rodin’s Thinker in the garden. After this stunning museum, I decided to splurge on dinner and went to Illum roof top restaurants. There’s a separate entrance and lift next to the department store entrance and the restaurant choices were a bit overwhelming. I settled on the Rossopomodoro Italian restaurant. Delicious pizza and espresso martini.

Day 2 Copenhagen

I started the day a bit slowly and had a beautiful brunch at Mads & Kaffe a hipster cafe in Vesterbro (Meatpacking) district. I took the bus from hotel to save my legs and from the cafe I took the bus to Nyhavn. So to see Nyhavn without hordes of tourists get there really early. I walked around and took about 50 photos. I also walked over the pedestrian bridge to a little island with smaller museums and a outdoor food court. I’m sure there’s a special name for it but sorry I don’t remember. Back to Nyhavn, I had an ice cream and sat across from the restaurants and watched the world go by while listening to some great buskers.

I took the bus to Rosenberg Castle and got my timed ticket. On my way there I walked through the palace gardens and there was a music festival on. There was a stage set up and musicians playing Latin style music. A number of people were sitting and have picnics in the garden.

I had a half hour wait before my ticket entry time, so I took photos around the gardens. The castle was quite impressive but I didn’t know that there were bigger and better castles/palaces to come 😊 Now the treasury was something else. I just loved it! That jewellery!

Ok as a solo traveller there come times were you have to ask yourself; are you a woman or a mouse 😊 so I put my big girl pants on and went to Tivoli Gardens all by myself! I got on the ride that spins up a very high tower and you get an amazing view of Copenhagen while spinning in this ride high up in the air. Wow Wee! Whew! I walked up to the rollacoster but chickened out of that 😊

I went back to the hotel to meet up the tour group. Thank goodness it was a smallish group of 25. They were all Americans! I was the sole Aussie.

After the meeting, I went off to find dinner at a South Indian restaurant called The South Indian. Fabulous food, generous portions, masala chai and very nice service.

Day 3 Copenhagen and surroundings

So the first day tour started with changing of the guard at Amelianborg Palace. Followed by a guided tour of Christianborg Palace Reception Rooms. Now this THE palace! It’s the newest and most modern of all the castles and palaces I saw during this trip. Next home renovations will involve parquet flooring inspired by this palace.

We went to a rather underwhelming Little Mermaid. Not her fault that the hype doesn’t meet expectations. People were doing crazy things to get a picture with the statue.

After a quick stop for lunch, I had my first smørrebrød, we got on a bus to Kronborg and Fredrickborg. I was well and truly castled/palaced out by the end of the day....

Next Gothenburg and Oslo
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Some photos of Copenhagen
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 03:42 AM

The Imperial Hotel is not a hotel I would recommend either, it’s the area I park in as it’s convenient for parking along the old reservoirs so I’ve seen the hotel from the outside and it’s not appealing, glad it didn’t spoil the experience.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 03:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you packed a lot in (I like the detail, too; and your photos)
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 09:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The photos are excellent.
Old Sep 17th, 2018, 11:56 PM
Original Poster

Xcountry - Details and photos are coming
Odin - Luckily I didn't spend much time in the Imperial Hotel and I stayed at the Hotel Kong Arthur on my return. That was in a much nicer area and the hotel was quite nice too.
Adelaidean - I felt like I had to take advantage of the Copenhagen Card I was a bit surprised at how easy it was to get around and visit the sights. It didn't take as much effort and time as I had assumed, Which meant that I had a fairly relaxing 2 days on my way back through Copenhagen later in my trip.
Kerouac - Thank you!
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Day 4 - On the tour bus to Gothenburg
By this stage the tour group was starting to get to know each other and to my relief everyone was friendly and seemed get along.
We started at a reasonable hour on the bus to Gothenburg.
*The only criticism I have about the tour was that the super efficient and lovely Tour Manager talked non-stop on the bus. She felt she had to share very little detail about Scandinavia. Now if it was more around the Viking tales or myths I'd have loved it but no we went into correctional facilities, immigrant issues, how elections are run, etc. Really heavy hitting stuff. Also there were not many breaks on the road. The loo breaks 2 1/2 to 3 hours apart! There was a toilet on the bus and reluctantly we all end up having to use it at some over the next 8 days.

We pulled up to our hotel for 1 night, First Hotel Goteborg. The hotel was very nice and the location very central. As we only had a day there, after a lengthy check in process (the able bodied solo person is always last to be assigned a room I headed over to the Haga area to have coffee and cake. Along the way I saw another music festival along the river - Van Morrison this time! I walked through the narrow streets of the old town area and took a peak inside some of the boutiques. I also walked through the Feskekôrka (Fish Hall) where you could have a plate of oysters. I was still recovering from sunburn from my canal cruise in Copenhagen and decided to miss the cruise in Gotheburg. It was really hot and sunny (30 degrees celcius)!
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Old Sep 18th, 2018, 03:01 PM

Thank you for your trip report, the detail AND the great pictures. I'm also a solo traveler and seriously contemplating a 1 week trip to Denmark next year. Your opening is convincing me. I look forward to the remainder of your TR and of course your last days in Copenhagen.
Old Sep 18th, 2018, 03:38 PM

Great report, looking forward to more. Especially since we seem to have very similar impressions of Copenhagen and its sites. All hail the 7-11, especially on hot days!
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Day 5 - On the tour bus to Oslo
The next morning we headed out a bit earlier to make it to Oslo in time for lunch at the United Bakery along Karl Johan Gate. I definitely recommend this place for a quick coffee or lunch. The views of the palace at one end were wonderful and Karl Johan Gate was Oslo’s answer to Champs Elysee in a much more chilled out hygge way.

* I think Gate1Travel got the balance of guided tours and free time just right, For example, as soon as we got to Oslo, we were given maps and sent off to get lunch or have a little walk for a while. This gave everyone the chance to stretch their legs after the bus trip and have a bit of alone time

Following lunch we had a private guided tour of the Oslo City Hall. The City Hall has Norwegian art and depicts the history of Norway which at one time was considered the poor cousin in Scandinavia. Oh how times change….. In fact they invited a Danish prince to become their King in 1905. This was a fascinating story in the Scandinavian history and slowly all the pieces were starting to form. It was after my guided tour of the palaces in Stockholm that the pieces started to sort out into a picture in my mind.

* I noticed that Scandinavians love their royal families! The Passport Control officer in Copenhagen had noted that I was from Australia and told me that their Princess was from Australia too

The Oslo City Hall is is where the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony is held and the murals are amazing! After the City Hall tour, we all got on the bus to the Vigeland Sculpture Park. It felt incredibly hot here! I’ll pop a few pics of the sculptures below which need to be seen to be believed and my description will not do them justice. We were then given an orientation drive around the city and a photo opp near the Opera House. The tour guide said that it rivalled Sydney Opera House but I’ll be biased and say that would be hard for any building to do

We stayed at the Scandic Victoria near the City Hall and the location can’t be beaten. I could walk nearly everywhere I wanted to go and we were right near the Aker Brygge (habour area) with amazing views of the Oslo Fjord. After dinner at the hotel, a few of us walked to Aker Brygge and then ended up at the roof top bar at the Grand Hotel for a drink (which was a ridiculous AUD30 for an Aperol Spritz!!). To our surprise we returned at nearly 11:00pm and it felt like it was just 6pm-ish dusk time. The long days were great but bring a sleeping mask! I had my trusty Singapore Airlines issued mask which I used every night.

Day 6 – Oslo’s Museums

The day started bright and sunny (just like every day so far) with a trip to the Bygdøy where there are some great museums. We started at the Viking Ship museum and followed up with the Kontiki Museum. On our return to the city, I had a light lunch at great Indian restaurant called Benares. I highly recommend it. The owner was so nice and treated me like visiting family. I had a delicious samosa and masala chai. Next up was another museum, the National Gallery because of course I had to go and see The Scream. It’s a bit like going to see the Mona Lisa in the Louvre – it’s smaller then you expected and wait what about all the other Amazing art in the museum? I found my old friend the Thinker there too The museum has a wonderful café but I was hoping for cooler temperatures outside and found the biggest milkshake I’ve ever had at Deli DeLuca. This place is similar to a 7/11 with sandwiches, some hot food, snacks, etc. So this milk shake was so impressive that as I sat there sipping it slowly and cooling down, 3 different groups of people came and said I’ll have what she’s having I think they should have given me that drink complimentary….I headed back out to just walk around, exploring the city on foot and ended up back at the habour. There was a bus-like ferry that goes to Bygdøy and back so I jumped on for a lake cruise on the cheap (cheap is relative in Norway). I returned to the hotel freshened up and went to a vegan restaurant for dinner before walking the Aker Brygge again.

Last edited by Ozgirl07; Sep 19th, 2018 at 01:15 AM.
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Murals in City Hall

City Hall
Old Sep 19th, 2018, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Day 7 & 8 – Lillehammer

In the morning we were off to Lillehammer for a night. We visited the Olympic Ski jump and got to come down the incline in the ski lift some amazing views. Stayed at the Scandic Hotel and had a relaxing free afternoon. After dinner a few of us walked down into town to check out the brewery bar. The next morning we had a leisurely drive to Sogndal stopping at the stav church in Lom. The church was incredibly well preserved for such an old structure. That night was Quality Hotel Sogndal. I walked around the town and the fjord that afternoon and had an early night.

Day 9 Sognefjord and Flam Rail

This was it – the Norway spectacular. We drove to Sognefjord and took the ferry to Flam. From Flam we took the Flam Rail to Voss. It is incredibly quiet and peaceful on the fjord. People on the ferry were almost whispering it was so beautiful. The ferry connects to the rail so the chances of missing your connection are low. Don’t stress and but don’t go off looking for food, drink or toilets. The timing is very tight! From Voss we took the long scenic way to Bergen.

We got into Bergen early enough for me to go up the furnicular to Mt Floyen where the view was just unreal! We were staying at the First Hotel Marin, Bergen which is charming and in a great location. Very close to the old town and habour area but the area is full of bars. Join the dots sailors, habour, bars J Equals noisy! Sognefjord and Bergen were the only place I had to break out the rain jacket. It was a sunny day on the fjord but windy and cool. It was cloudy and moody in Bergen. Not much rain but it did add to the atmosphere. I walked back down Mt Floyen taking the Rick Steves recommended path and saw these pretty houses clinging to the mountain. It was busy around the view point but very quiet walking down. After dinner at Los Tacos (I was craving tacos) I had an early night. Some of the group did an impromptu pub crawl and a couple of guys went to a concert that started after 11pm!

Day 10 Bergen

We started the day early at Edvard Grieg’s home followed by a stroll through the narrow alleys of the old town. This area of town full of little artisan boutiques and we all sent some time choosing our souvenirs to take home. I bought a beautiful Norwegian wool cardigan which was not cheap but it’s nice enough to leave someone in my will J Along with the normal magnets and postcards were some innovative and interesting home wares and art. I spent all afternoon discovering Bergen on foot and adopting the tradition of Fika when I got too tired to walk. We had a great farewell dinner and later carried on the after party at one of the many bars near the hotel. This is where I got the text on my phone that my flight to Stockholm was cancelled and I was rerouted to Oslo.

Last edited by Ozgirl07; Sep 19th, 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

From the Flam rail

Sognefjord

Bergen

Bergen

Bergen

Bergen
Old Sep 20th, 2018, 08:33 AM

What a great trip, nice combination of stunning landscapes and interesting cities and towns.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

@Dee Dee I would go back to Copenhagen it was that good.
@ lolfn you inspired me to write the trip report ��
@ Adelaidean thanks for following along. When and where is your next trip?

Day 11-15 Stockholm!

If you read my previous installment, I had some dramas with my SAS flight to Stockholm. The direct flight from Bergen was cancelled and initially I was supposed to go through Oslo but as I got to the airport extra early (6am!) they sent me to Trondheim and then to Stockholm. I had booked direct with the airline so I received my msg the night before but a few people from the tour on the same flight did not get a notification and found out when they got to the airport. In any case, because of the early hour I took a taxi and it cost AUD90! Almost the same as the cost of the flight!

I got to Stockholm around 11:30am and took the Flybus to the main train station. The ticket for the bus can be bought from the machines near the door exiting to the bus stop, just follow signs to buses. The bus is a lot cheaper than the express airport train but the trade off is some time.

I walked to my hotel, Downtown Camper. You guys this hotel was such a hipster hotel No really, there was a huge net hanging over the reception area and you could go hang out there. There were skate boards and bikes to borrow. There was fancy lemon and mint water in water fountains in the lobby. There was a table tennis table set up on each floor near the lifts. The room was spacious, spotless and far from the lift (so quiet). I loved my stay here. The breakfast was huge and I was spoilt for choice every morning. Hot porridge, waffles, eggs in different varieties, beans, vegies, pickles, cold meats, rolls and breads, sweet pastries and fruits. They had smoothies and extra healthy shots (green, ginger, etc). One thing I will say, they had a large communal table/area where they put all solo people. So you’d only get a table if you were a couple or family. Initially I was disgruntled but then I found I could say to the person next to me, please keep my seat as I’m going for round 3! Silver lining ��

The first thing after checking out my room was a quick lunch at a 7/11 on Drottninggatan but I walked further up the street and there was a cafe called Indian Street Food in addition to many other pubs and restaurants. I ended up eating here 3/4 times as the food was amazing and reasonably priced. They closed at 7 so it was usually an early dinner. I walked around the area before joining a walking tour of the old town (Gamla Stan).

Old Town Tour ? Free Tour Stockholm

Photos will follow. We saw the palace and the narrowest Street in Stockholm. I didn’t take in as many details because the group was surprisingly big and I was really tired after getting up super early. I followed up the walking tour with dinner at the Kungshallen food court. Can’t say much about really, it was a food court like any other. Too tired to care.

The next day after an amazing nights sleep (with the fan on of course) and fully loaded breakfast, I went to the tourist information centre literally around the corner from the hotel and bought a 3 day Stockholm Card. Note that the card does not cover the City Hall, ABBA museum or come with transport option like the Copenhagen Card. But the hop on hop off bus is included so I walked over to Stop 1 and first got my evening�� (7pm but full day light) canal tour ticket. Apparently these sell out during the day in summer. I jumped on the first bus out and got off at Skansen Museum. I loved the outdoor museum particular the artisan workshops (e.g. bakery) and the animal enclosures. It was such a hot day! Glad I started early but by lunch time I was done. I walked over to the Vasa museum taking the scenario route along the water. I recommend the film followed by the guided tour. It’s included in the entry and well worth the time IMO. The story about the Vasa is quite sad like the Titanic. Had it been a success and not sunk in the harbour, it would have been just another big grand ship to sail.

I got on the hop on hop off boat and went over to Fotographika Museum. Loved this museum. The 3 exhibitions that stood out for me, the Paris fashion photos, the sea animals film playing on big screens that you can watch laying on huge bean bags and the Linda and Mary McCartney photos. I took the boat back to stop 1, had an early dinner at Indian Street Food before the canal cruise at 7pm. The canal cruise was incredibly relaxing and a lot cooler sitting on the boat ��

I started the next day with a guided tour of the Stockholm Royal Palace. My goodness it was so hot in some of the rooms! The guide cut the tour short and let us explore independently. I also saw the start of the Changing of the guard ceremony which is full on production in Stockholm. It felt more like a concert! I didn’t stay until the end and decided to jump back on the hop on hop off bus. I jumped off in an area that looked promising which I later realised was Östermalm. I wondered around thinking to find a food hall located near the area but then saw something online saying the it had closed down. There were many fancy shops, restaurants and cafes. This area felt a little like St Germain in Paris. So I popped into &otherstories and bought a few items. It was here that I realised that the tax refund minimum is only 200 Swedish Kroner. Hello shopping! Also note that every store I want into accepted the scan copy of my passport on my phone. No need to carry cash or passport. I felt like a failed tourist having spent quite a few hours shopping so I went to the Swedish History Museum. This is a free museum I believe. I think museum shops make a great places to buy gifts and souvenirs. I took the bus back to Drottninggatan and Indian Street Food. I tried something different every time I went to this restaurant so its ok right?

After dinner I checked out the Ahrlens department and grocery store just out of curiosity. I found the electronics department selling Dyson fans which were turned on (it was still crazy hot) so I decided to test them out by standing in front of them for 1/2 an hour�� the sales assistant kept asking me if I wanted to buy one ��

The next day I started with a tour of the City Hall. I’d say the City Hall is more impressive then the huge but tired Royal Palace. Following the guided tour, I spent some time around the garden which is right along the water front. I found the dock from which to,catch the Stockholm Pass included Drottningholm Palace and boat tour of Lake Mälaren. I was glad I decided to sit inside out of the sun because once again it was a bright and sunny day. I did the guided tour of Drottningholm Palace but it was so hot inside the rooms! Once we finished in the palace, I could not be bothered to explore the garden or the theatre. I bought a soft drink and sat under shade outside the cafe until time for the boat. At this point I had a big fat blister on my foot and seriously considered Uber or taxi but just as I was about to cave, the boat came �� I managed to find a seat under shade but out near the door for some breeze. You guessed it, dinner was again at Indian Street Food followed by a final goodbye cocktail at the rooftop bar in the Downtown Camper.

I made as much use of my Stockholm Pass as I could but in retrospect I should have got a few days transport card too.

Final day was for ABBA! This is a fabulous museum if you are an ABBA fan. Let’s just say that Dancing queen MUST be sang at every karaoke I’ve been to so I was in my element������ This was the only time in the trip that I wanted to be with friends....

I had a frozen yogurt at the 7/11 for lunch. Why had I not had this amazing concoction until now??

So then I was off to the airport via the flybus. 4 days in Stockholm were just right for me. I left feeling like I had seen what I wanted to see. I possibly could have done with another day to go to the archipelago.

Back to Copenhagen.
Old Sep 21st, 2018, 06:09 AM

Ozgirl, as you know I am currently in Germany.
Having a quiet day today, feet up, iPad on my lap.
Your trip looks fantastic, but I am already in love with an expensive destination (Switzerland) which we are revisiting in June, so better not add Scandinavia to my wish list
Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 01:43 AM
Original Poster

ABBA museum

Vasa Museum

Fotographika Museum

ABBA museum

Skansen Bakery

Gamla Stan

Royal Palace

Skansen

City Hall

City Hall

Skansen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -