Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip insurance just to cover cancellation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read through several trip insurance threads, & I'm wondering if there's a policy that ONLY covers cost of cancelling trip, ie the unrefundable, full payment you've made for apartment and airfare (not interested in med coverage, MedEvacuation, etc). And if there is such a policy, I'm guessing you'd just need a doctor's "note" to file a claim prior to the trip?
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Certainly in Europe such policies are available, and are strongly advised.
Yes you need a valid reason for canelling, illness, death in the family, unexpected work commitments, house move etc. Things you couldn't have known about when you booked.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:54 AM
sjj

A few years ago my wife and I bought cancellation insurance for a flight on American Airlines. Apparently, they still sell it:

http://tinyurl.com/23myx9

I found this URL by Googling using the words

cancellation insurance American Airlines

I don't know if other airlines offer this service.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:56 AM

I don't think there is such a thing as the insurers who develop travel insurance products have a package of things they cover, and some things are just standard in all of them, even though limits may vary. You can vary the medical limits a lot, and some have low medical evacuation coverage. I'd just go by the cheapest price, some of the cheapest ones have the lowest limits.

Practically, the cancellation etc part is the most expensive part of the policies, not the medical insurance. You can find that out by not varying the medical and changing the dollar limits coverage (which is for the other stuff) and you'll see how dramatically that affects the premium.

Filing a claim usually isn't as simple as just a little note from the doctor. There will be time limits, and various forms of documentation from the physician may be required, as well as possibly bills from the physician (they may require something with ICD diagnosis codes, for example) or documentation of the visit/emergency treatment from a hospital or whatever reason is given for cancellation. Pre-existing conditions are a factor, of course, as well as some things which may just be excluded automatically (like normal pregnancy).

You just have to read the policies, but I wouldn't worry about trying to find a policy with no medical, as the major cost of the policies is the other things.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I'm pretty sure you can get a basic policy that just covers cancellation.

Insuremytrip will allow you to compare policies from various companies:

http://insuremytrip.com
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input - very much appreciated. Yes, Christina, it appears that medical *is* part of a minimum package deal, but you're also correct in your assessment that the cost of the policy is not driven by the medical coverage, at least not when you're just taking on whatever their minimum meds are.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 11:51 AM

First, if you have to cancel for whatever reason, the prepayment for the apartment would have to be taken up with the leasor, not your insurer. Have never seen "apartment" as a cancellable item. If this is of concern, then your own personal insurer (for your home, apartment, vehicle) can probably find something for you.

Second, your airline ticket can often rebook at a later date for a fee. If you only have to cover for the price of your ticket, the airline can provide a policy for a small amount (based on price of ticket), but compare the premium against a rebooking fee.

From my own traveling experiences, consider:

1) though most don't feel medical or evacuation are necessary, anyone can get ill or hurt while away from home. Your personal health policy is unlikely cover you overseas; if they do, you still have to pay for services as a foreign doctor/hospital won't bill your insurer. And, should you have an accident - broken leg, or arm - tripping over uneven cobblestones, and find your leg in a cast requiring 2/seats on a homebound plane - who's going to pay for that.

2) there's the Interruption should something happen midway during your trip requiring you to be heading home.

3) you don't have to be elderly to consider these additional services.

Whatever insurance you purchase can only be for what you're prepaid if if only the airline ticket... we're not talking big $$$$.

You'll have to decide what's best for you.

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I was injured while traveling in Italy, so my husband and I had to return home. I had no medical expenses, as there is no charge for emergency care in Italy (not even for tourists). But the only return tickets available within the next 3 days were business class. I was glad that we had the trip insurance that paid up to $2000 ($1000 per person) in case of an emergency that required change of return flight. That was less than half the cost of the business class ticket, but it was better than having to pay the full freight. I had paid less than $50 for the insurance (cheapest plan on insuremytrip), so it was a good investment!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM

I also was interested in just the trip cancellation/interruption insurance and called insuremytrip.com. They informed me that there are no companies that offer just that type of insurance.
If you do buy a policy and you have a covered instance which prevents you from taking your trip, most (if not all) will cover you for any prepaid rental fees for an apartment. You also need to check if the insurance is primary or secondary. If it is not primary--on insuremytrip.com each item is color coded to indicate primary or secondary--you will need to file a claim first with your own insurance before they will pick up any residual costs.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 03:28 PM

There are at least two companies that offer "cancel for any reason" policies, upon which they will reimburse 50% or 75% of your prepaid expenses. (along with the usual/typical trip insurance coverage).

Travelguard and Travelsafe.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the continued input. I'm on the verge of taking a policy w/Travelex, a firm mentioned in many threads. (I compared 2 of their plans on insuremytrip.com, thank you very much.) Their phone reps have answered many of my questions, ie, if I open a policy now (prior to buying plane tix) I can call back & add cost of airfare to the policy later. Likewise, if my travel dates change, I can call & alter the policy dates. So I'm down to the wire & need to get the ol' ducks in a row within the next 24 hours or so.

And the reason I plan to buy the policy NOW (if you *care*) rather than waiting until I've snagged said plane tix is 'cause there's a pesky clause stating that policy must be purchased "within 21 days of First Trip Payment" in order to be covered for various & sundry issues.