Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Londoners, what can you tell me about the Borough of Southwark?

Nov 28th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Having been to London many tims, I never ventured south of the Thames, except to the "war rooms" and the new Tate. The area I'm interested in knowing something about is off Southwark Road and GalleyHill Rd, SE part of the Borough.

A dear woman friend of our family (Bostonian)is looking at a flat in this area, blindly, on the internet and we're a bit concerned.
Stu T.
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

...make that "GalleyWall Road"..thanks for any help you can be.
Stu
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:12 AM

Check out this website for some info on the areas of London. http://www.livinginlondon.net/SE1.htm

Not an area I would choose to live, but others may have other opinions. We are currently living in Clapham (SW4) and we love it.
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM

This is in Bermondsey, near Southwark Park, where it starts to shade into Rotherhithe. I don't know those particular streets, but I could go and have a look.

In general the area is a working to lower middle class residential area, with workshops and small factories squeezed in along the railway lines, and postwar housing estates, including one along at least part of Galleywall Road.

Not the most obviously attractive area for a visitor; not necessarily unsafe, just not very interesting. There won't be lots of shops and restaurants on the doorstep, for example.

There's a map here:

http://tinyurl.com/23sfh4
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:51 AM

Here is some more info: http://www.londontown.com/LondonStre..._road_242.html
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jamikins and Patrick for your candid assessments. I knew I could count on you!

Patrick, thank you for the offer, but meanhile my wife is hoping to convince her friend NOT to rely solely on the internet.

Jamikins and Patrick, thanks also for the websites and maps which clearly show the Rennie Estate and that's where she is looking to rent...my wife just phoned her.

Nothing like first hand info from Fodorite friends...between all of us, it appears that we have the world somewhat covered.

Stu T.
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Anytime Stu...let us know if you need any more info!
Nov 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM

google maps for this location is pretty good
http://maps.google.ca/maps?oe=UTF-8&...0road%20london
Nov 28th, 2007, 10:13 AM

And of course you can see aerial photos on Google maps. From that, the Rennie estate looks like a reasonably well-maintained 1960s social housing estate (numbers of the flats now coming on to the open market for sale), but I have no idea what the other residents might be like overall.

Can I ask if this is for a vacation rental, home exchange or long-term let?
Nov 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Patrick..I believe she wants a fairly longterm rental with option to purchase. She's a free lance writer and can live anywhere in the region. The area doesn't look inspirational at all....I personally would pass on this ..I need quiet, peace of mind and nearby research faclities and a pub around the corner when I write (luckily I have all that here at home in L.A., with a commanding view of the hills and valleys...as long as the fires keep their distance).

She's living in a lovely suburb of Boston, and I think this Rennie Estate address would be a dramatic disappointment for her. That's exactly why wife and I are trying to prevent..or at least guide her away from a spontaneous decision on the net. Ugh!

Stu T.