Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip Insurance: Any experiences in redeeming expenses?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've just made an apartment rental deposit for NEXT Thanksgiving. My mother, who NOT going on the trip, is almost 83, so there just might be a chance that she would be hospitalized or something like that.

I have ordered trip insurance before. I have never had to redeem anything. Has anyone had to have a refund based on a family member's (not on the trip) illness or death that they can share?

Thank you.
AZ
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 04:37 AM

Check the terms of the policies you are considering, paying special attention to the definition of "family member" whose medical emergency causes cancellation. Also be sure that apartment rent is covered as some policies will pay if you rent through an agency or other business entity, but not if it is a person-to-person rental.

You can compare terms and coverage at websites like insuremytrip.com that show policies from about dozen insurers.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, kayd.

I do have a call into the guys from whom I've bought in the past--Trip Insurance Store (http://www.tripinsurancestore.com/)--and they are going to shoot me over the policies they are recommending for this type of trip.

Deanna there said about the same thing that you did. She's recommending two types that will cover just my rental deposit for now and can be increased once I make final payment.

I just want to make sure someone has had good luck getting some money back.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:07 AM

I've redeemed for personal illness abroad without any problems from Access America, although I got money back for extra costs of transportation and lodgings for me and my husband, plus hospitalization for me, not apartment rentals. That said, I always bought insurance from Access America that would have covered me if anyone in my immediate family, including parents and in-laws, had a health crisis that would have made me cancel my trip, and I would have expected Access America to cover any losses for apartment rentals.

Sounds like you have lots of resources for checking the fine print. Best wishes for your mother's good health. Truth is, everybody needs travel insurance that includes coverage for dependents who are not accompanying them on the trip, regardless of the age of the dependents.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Al,
I used Travelguard (Gold level I think) a few years ago, choosing the policy that covered pre-existing conditions and included family members, in 2004.
My father suddenly needed open-heart surgery just 10 days before I was to leave.
No problems with reimbursement.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:43 AM

You would want to claim a benefit. Claims departments vary substantially on the proof and scrutiny that needs to be submitted in order to get a payment.

Be sure to read the exclusions section of the policy as carefully as you read the coverages.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 05:55 AM

Be especially aware of the pre-existing conditions exclusions on trip cancellation/interruption policies. I always use Travel Guard and they will waive the exclusion as long as the policy is taken out within (I think) two weeks of making the first payment toward the covered trip. For years I had two elderly parents with ongoing medical issues and I always made sure to be covered if we had to cancel or interrupt a trip because of them. Fortunately it never happened. The one trip I had to cancel some years ago was a fully prepaid and non-refundable China tour due to a medical emergency one week before departure. Travel Guard quickly and fully reimbursed everything.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 07:29 AM
twk

Had a good experience with Travel Guard in 2006 when my travel partner suffered a broken leg 23 days prior to departure. All we had to submit was a doctor's letter, airfare receipt, and emails from the B&B's and hotels confirming what would and would not be refunded.
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 07:48 AM

I just obtained full refund on flight tickets and other related travel expenses for my Brother and wife who had their vacation interrupted when their pregnant daughter was hospitalized at home due to pregnancy complications. I did all the insurance paperwork on their behalf as they had no time nor the stamina to focus on this while dealing with their daughter's condition. I had to provide evidence (medical testimony) that the complications were unexpected (they were). After all required was provided, Berkeley Travel Insurance mailed them 4 checks covering every penny they lost/spent due to the vacation interruption. The policy was $38/pp; definitely WORTH every penny. I had to convinced him to get travel insurance and now I am his favorite sister!

Since your travel is in Thanksgiving you MUST get travel insurance regardless if your Mom could run a marathon because it would cover any delays or expenses incurred due if travel delays/interruptions, cancellations due to weather (day(s) of travel).
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again, everyone.