Trip in mid-December for a week.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2010, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to start my packing list for my trip but not sure what to take. I know the weather is some what the same here in Philadelphia, cold, brisk at times and maybe some rain but doubt it.
Only staying a week (first time doing that) so will taking my time going to places I missed on my last trip back in 2002. Staying in the 15th near the Eiffel next to the Sein.
Ok back to clothes, will be carrying a back pack for my time out and looking into a rain jacket that can fold up an put in bag when not wearing it. Maybe some dress pants and such for going out to dinner. But mostly just closthes to walk around in that would be comfy. Looking to stylish but comfortable walking shoes as well. Have about 2 months before I leave in December, let the excitment begin. Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 07:06 AM

Check out Rick Steves web site for packing lists, male & female. We are also going in December and my main plan is to buy those things that you put in gloves and shoes that keep your feet warm (REI, sporting goods stores have them...don't know what you call them). I bought some kinda cute North face boots for walking (Nordstrom). Good gloves, unbrella and hat and I will be fine. Vin chaud will be welcome when I am cold, or a hot chocolate at Christian Constant will also do! If it rains, Le Bon Marche or a church/museum will be the perfect haven. And I am still going to Berthillon for ice cream, I don't care how cold it is!!
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 08:26 AM

I highly recommend a l-o-o-n-g raincoat that protects your legs down to the ankles when the wind howls and the rain comes sideways. An umbrella won't make it, it turns inside out and it's a pain to carry.

Invest in something like an Aussie Driza-Bone (say it with a twang and you get it...), and you'll actually end up <i>liking</i> going for a walk in the rain rather than dreading it!

The unlined model (not warm, just wind- and rainproof) rolls up very tightly, with a bungee cord it can be strapped to a bag, or you keep a plastic shopping bag in your pocket in case you need to scrunch up the wet coat, it's really flexible if you are. And when the heavens open up and everybody scurries, you proudly march on and get your tourist dollar's worth...

A good hat and waterproof ankle boots to match, of course.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Was thinking about going to a sporting goods store and check out coats or jackets along with walking shoes or just comfy.
@denisea..i do ice cream akk seasons..lol. And yes if it does do the rain thing will be heading to a museum for a few hours.
@Dalillama..will see if they have that coat in my area.
Old Oct 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM

They are kind of expensive, but whatever you get, make it not a jacket but a long coat, that's the point here.
Bonne chance.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I should be able to find something reasonable for my trip and since the weather is about the same here I should have no problem.
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 09:36 AM

Pack wickaway shirt liners &/or fabrics that breathe like wools and silk blends or cashmere/I made the mistake of packing cotton tops for Italy one November, high humidity/60 degrees F temps. Stayed damp the entire trip. Find socks with coolmax or other content to keep feet dry. And I couldn't agree more about an ankle length waterproof coat. I was at an all day music event in NJ in the rain in Sept with a mid-thigh length water proof jacket. My legs were soaked!
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Did not realize I had not kept up with this one as it was the one that I started..lol
Well it is a week now until I leave for my happy place. Seeing as the weather is a bit colder then here, I did manage to dig out my sliks I was issued and the heavy polypros just in case. I think the silks will be enough.

I know the places I want to go to that I missed my last few times and some repeats (that can't be helped, it's Paris).
My only concern really is eating and the odd shopping, to think that would be a problem..lol But going through the list of places to eati try to put in for lunch and dinner as breakfast is part of the package.

Yes you don't have to do lunch big time there is always a vendor some place..or just pick up fixing and keep on my way. Which I may so a few times any how.(getting hungry just writting this..lol)

Will be doing walking and found comfy boots and shoes that will do the trick mostly because of the weather.

I may not be able to use my laptop they way I wanted because of cost but will do my best to keep my journal in a program and then do like a few here have done and post it day by day on my return. I may get lucky to send picks from my cell (transfer from camera to laptop to cell)

Slowly getting excited with a few odds and ends to still get. I really need to get there and relax and just enjoy myself. Maybe figure a few things out as well.
Old Dec 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Wifi is free in many cafés and all municipal buildings.
Old Dec 6th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Was thinking about that in place of teathering to my cell, which apparently is a arm and a leg even for the week. Could make posting and sending pictures that way if not then will just make sure I have file and post when I get home.
Old Dec 9th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Well it is down to the day before. Seen the nice pic of snow, just want to make into the city and relax.