Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Newbie packing for France - how does this sound?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 05:52 AM
tulip

Leaving in mid-June for 2 weeks: 2 days in Paris; a week in the Loire Valley; and several days in the Normandy area. I'm trying to pack light. We won't be doing any 'night-life' or eating anywhere fancy. I was thinking of packing 1 pair of jeans; 2 pairs of capri pants; 1 casual skirt; several short-sleeved shirts; a jacket with hood; and 2 pairs of shoes (1 - clogs; 1 - sandals). Any feedback on whether this sounds about right or not?

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:04 AM
BTilke

Take out one of those short sleeved shirts and stick in a sweater--barring a heat wave, you may want to put on a sweater some days (instead of your jacket). And I'd add one pair of fully enclosed shoes. If you get caught in the rain, I don't think you want to be in clogs (slides?) or sandals. Don't forget an umbrella!

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:24 AM
joy

We always vacation around mid-June. I agree with BTilke, leave the jacket and instead pack a sweater (something like the other half of a twin set). For rain gear, I have a foldable light raincoat that you buy packed in its bag, brilliant as far as space saving gear!! My 8-year old son has a raincoat that when you invert it and fold becomes a small bag too!

Old May 28th, 2002, 06:37 AM
elvira

Exchange a couple of those short-sleeves for long sleeves, including one sweater. Pack socks. Jacket w/hood is ok, as long as it's waterproof. If not, get one that is. In a windy rainstorm, the umbrella won't keep your hips/waist area dry. 2 pairs of closed shoes - clogs are impossible for walking up hills (lots of chateaux have loooong ramps) and on cobblestone streets; it most likely won't be warm enough for sandals.<BR><BR>Pair of lightweight gloves (like those teeny gloves that stretch to fit) and a scarf (not a heavy wintery type, but a cashmere-weight that tucks around the neck or can be worn like a shawl).<BR><BR>This weekend in Paris, Saturday was sunny and short-sleeve weather, Sunday it was pouring rain and heavy sweater/rain jacket weather. I was real glad I had dry slacks, shoes and socks to change into...

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:20 AM
tulip

Thanks for your replies; this really does help! I'm reconsidering some of my packing choices . . .<BR>Anybody else out there??

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:26 AM
xxx

I'm sure in was an unintentional error, but you failed to mention the required pink jogging suit and the tennies.

Old May 28th, 2002, 09:35 AM
HRH SBP

Elvira!<BR><BR>didn't you just get back from Paris in April? how many times are you over there now girl!!??<BR><BR>HRH

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:35 AM
tulip

ttt for more advice?

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Sandy

Remember that jeans are heavy and take a long time to dry--you might want a more travel-friendly pair of pants.

Old May 29th, 2002, 07:47 AM
Lori

Weather changes daily, or so it seems. Be sure to have a small fold up umbrella and please do not take clogs and sandals. Take closed shoes, real comfortable ones at that. You will not want to be walking around in the rain on cobblestone in either sandals or clogs. If you must take one of them, take the sandals, it is possible the weather could be very warm too .. who knows. I'd be sure to have a lightweight jacket of some kind tho. I think the short sleeve tops are OK, just have a sweater or jacket in case you need it. Be prepared for all sorts of weather is my motto. We were recently in London and it was quite warm (in April mind you) and people were up on Hampstead Heath (large park) in shorts, tank tops, sandals, etc. You just never know, be prepared for everything tho