Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trip cancelation blues...sympathy needed...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi all,<BR><BR>I just had a very disappointing day. we had finally settled on dates and our pre-trip planning. had hotel reserv. and were just about to book a great rate on airfare. my travel partner put in for vacation approval at work for our trip in april and was denied!!! this was so unexpected! of the two of us, it was my boss we were worried about not hers. she has never had this happen!<BR><BR>appparently her work load this spring is going to be double time and her boss just can't approve it right now. <BR><BR>And we had 55 pd rates per room at millennium baileys and $299 airfare roundtrip raleigh to london...it just makes me want to cry!!!!!<BR><BR>I can't ever seem to make it to europe in the spring. something has always happened to our plans and we end up having to go in the fall...darn it!<BR><BR>okay if I am going to be a glass half full kind of person I can be thankful that we had not already booked our airfare. we learned a long time ago to always make sure that was done last after everything else including vacation approval. (sigh!)<BR><BR>major sympathy needed here!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 09:09 PM
rex

My heart goes out. And curious - - where did you get that fare, RDU-LON?<BR><BR>It was the one city we couldn't find all that cheap for our May trip (RDU-VIE/LON-RDU). Cost quite a bit more than BWI for example, but ultimately decided to pay, to avoid her (our oldest daughter) having to drive and park her car at a friends' parents.<BR><BR>You'll make a spring trip one of these days!<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 09:16 PM

Erin -<BR><BR>Sorry to hear about your friend being denied time off and told she'll be killing herself at work - how awful for her! (And you as well, by extension.) With such great airfare and hotel rates, would you consider going to London alone? It would be a different trip than you may have planned, but still worthwhile. And the two of you could still travel together in the fall.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 09:30 PM
jor

I think you did the whole thing backward. I would never plan a trip with someone until both of us were approved for a certain date. You got way ahead of yourself. But I understand. The excitment of travel got the best of you.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:17 PM

Jor, just planning a trip makes one full of anticipation. When it doesn't happen it is a big letdown. Sorry, erinb, I really understand your disappointment.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 10:34 PM
Original Poster

hi all,<BR><BR>rex, the airfare was thru american. american flys nonstop twice a day from raleigh nc(rdu) to london gatwick. best fares are leaving in the evening and departing noon. best rates are leaving on a mon-wed and returning on a mon-wed. best rates are 90 days in advance. with that said, booking on the AA SITE this year, the lowest I saw was around 500.00.<BR><BR>I had a travelocity trip alert for several months and they came back with some great rates running around $420 inclusive of taxes on that same american flight. We then used some airline miles to get that rate down to $299. <BR><BR>leslie, I originally was planning to do this trip by myself and then my best friend asked to come along. she really wants to go back this year also, so I have decided to wait till she can go. we have traveled on and off for years and she is the best of friends, so the friendship and travel companionship is worth the wait. hells bells, she puts up with me, my smoking, and my hyperactivity, so most consider her a saint for that alone, myself included. <BR><BR>hi jor, I know that it sounded kind of backward, but we actually work for the same company and both of us have been there for quite a few years, (I actually earn almost 4 weeks a year in vacation and have problems using it all). I have actually put in for vacation first and had problems changing it when I found specials for a different time. <BR><BR>we have planned trips 4 or 5 time now, and we usually let the hotel specials and then airfare specials determine the actual dates for us. we do this far enough in advance that normally asking for the vacation time is no problem. Also, normally this is the time of year that department activity ask their employees for those requests for the rest of the year. this year just happens to be special because of some last minute changes in our company structure and funding that require alot of preparation this spring. my friends department will be greatly effected by this.<BR><BR>so fall it will proabably be. thanks guys!<BR><BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:41 AM

erinb,<BR><BR>Sorry about your problem. Better luck next time.<BR><BR>Minor point: American Airlines flies non-stop once a day from Raleigh - Durham to London-Gatwick. Once a day over and once a day back.<BR><BR>Curous<BR><BR>Curious
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:19 AM

Dear Erin,<BR>You have my profound &amp; sincere sympathy. I have had this personal experience myself, so I know the pain of it personally. I had to cancel a trip to Paris due to 9/11 (wasn't my fear, but my airline actually cancelled the flight right off their schedule, wanted to re-route us &amp; charge us more for it) and last month, when my mother was hospitalized &amp; I was supposed to return to Rome. <BR><BR>Sometimes I think everything happens for a reason...when Paris was cancelled, I ended up going to Rome last year, and was offered a job, editing a book, which I have been doing this past year.<BR><BR>Have faith, you will get there.<BR><BR>Best Wishes,<BR>BC
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:37 AM

Erin: What a shame and I understand perfectly how disappointed you feel! We had planned a trip to London for New Years, leaving the day after Christmas, and it went down in flames. I had done the usual research (even though we had been to London several times before), had a great package picked out with Virgin Air, etc. It's the absolute pits to anticipate and then get shot down. I'm still smarting! <BR><BR>We usually try to travel to Europe in spring, but fall is a good time to go. We went to Greece in October and had great weather and a great trip. Maybe you can plan a couple of long weekends with your friend so you won't feel completely desolate until fall! <BR><BR>It probably won't make you feel any better, but we have been &quot;rained out&quot; the last two years on our trips in May to France and Italy. We had a good time, but the weather did ruin some of our plans.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry erinb, know how you feel it happened to me once.<BR><BR>Congratulations to bookchick.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:37 AM

So sorry, ErinB,<BR><BR>I think too that sometimes these things can happen for a reason. It's disappointing, no doubt about it. Maybe the extra work time for your friend will give her that much more spending money for when the two of you do go.<BR><BR>Once you're finally on your trip together, you won't spend too much time thinking about that earlier cancellation either
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:47 AM

For what it's worth - British Airways is now offering $198 RT fares from ANYWHERE in the US. So, Erin, maybe you can make yourself think you would have OVERPAID and it's a good thing you had to cancel....(yeah, I'm a glass half full person) These rates come and go all the time. You'll get there.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:28 AM

<BR>ErinB : I too at first (like others) was puzzled by your order of events but you explained well and I understand...you have my commiserations. I also believe that if things didn't work out, then they weren't meant to be, for good reasons that you may never know. And remember, Europe in the Fall is just as wonderful.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Hi Erin I am so sorry....( But....have you considered going by yourself. With the rates so low why not.?? I have had something like this happen to me in the past and I ended up going (I had already bought my airline ticket). <BR>I know it is more fun with a friend but traveling solo can be fun as well. You can do what you want, when you want and for as long as you want....<BR>Just a thought...<BR>Anyway I hope things get better for you....Have a good day.....<BR>I am sending a virtual margarita to drown your sorrows in)))
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Erin, Sympathy you asked for &amp; sympathy you shall receive!! Sorry about the postponed trip.<BR><BR>As to others questioning your order of planning... my office is/was always the LAST place I checked with (actually just like you, just before I book the airlines) because they alway said yes.<BR><BR>p.s. Since you have trouble using your accrued vacation time &amp; BA has that incredible price for London mentioned above... are you sure you don't want to go solo for a quick trip ;-)
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:15 AM

Definitely empathize with you. Hope all turns out well.<BR><BR>This happened to me last year (actually got approval first) but boss decided for no reason to rescind approval. Ended up with extended fall trip to Greece &amp; Turkey.<BR><BR>Best wishes with your new plans.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

you all are just great....love and kisses to everyone. I have worked thru my blues and just wanted to say thanks for all your posts.<BR><BR>on some personal notes...<BR><BR>hey bookchick so glad you got your screen name too. I remember your cancelation because I think we were all going to meet elvira that trip, and how sad I was that you didn't get to go.<BR><BR>and for all of you that posted about the BA specials, I saw that last night and from dulles for 2 roundtrip for $597.00(that $198 doesn't include tax). with our air miles we should be able to get the same rate in the fall with american and we will be able to leave out of raleigh (RDU). It costs us an arm and a leg to get connected to dulles or jfk from our small town. BA used to fly direct out of charlotte but those specials do not include that city so I am assuming that they no longer do directs from there.<BR><BR>anyway, thanks all, I took look at this as fate and will just plan for another day. we are looking at other dates in midfall. (sigh, I was looking forward to a spring london trip, i have never been in the spring).<BR><BR>thanks guys
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:07 PM

Erinb, so sorry to hear about your disappointment. However, London is a great city to do solo - I've done it lots of times, and had a wonderful time always. I remember the first time I attempted a trip alone (many years ago, recently divorced) and how nervous I was. It was a ski trip to Quebec - I had the most fabulous time and met so many nice people. Once you go alone, you may want to forget the travel partner!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:21 PM

That totally blows!<BR>Maybe that's destiny/fate, ya know? Maybe something really, really cool will happen when you actually do go to the UK. And maybe this is &quot;not your time.&quot; I guess you could use this &quot;downtime&quot; to do add'l research and possibly find more hidden gems. Eh, call me an optimist.<BR>Also, maybe daytrippin' throughout your area can cure the blues. I've heard the Carolinas has some killer BBQ and BBQ contests. <BR>OOOOOO, have you watched Auntie Mame? It's quite possibly my fav. movie. If you haven't, rent it. You won't be disappointed. As you can see, everyday can be an adventure if you make it.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:32 PM

I am glad you are feeling better and glad you can go in Fall.<BR><BR>I have a funny story about my trip cancelation. I broke my foot about 3 weeks before a planned trip to Paris. At that time I had not been to europe in about 2 1/2 years and was so beside myself with excitement. <BR><BR>I was in my lillte cubicle in the ER and the Dr. came in and said yes it is broken. Wait here for the cast. I knew I could not walk all around Paris in a cast so I started to cry, loudly I guess. The nurse rushed in to bring me pain medicine. I was very embarassed to tell her I was crying because of my trip to Paris rather than the pain in my broken foot. It did hurt but not nearly as much as my disappointment.<BR><BR>A few weeks later, as in your case, BA had a $99 sale and my husband and I both flew in Nov. for my birthday for what my ticket alone had cost. Delta refunded my fare completely with a letter from the Dr. It was one of the best trips we ever had.