Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Airfare - I can just kick myself for waiting ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just yesterday I found airfare from Detroit to Paris from April 19 thru April 27 - seven night in Paris - for $481.00.

What a terrific price! I was gonna snatch it up, but I waited until today to do it. Of course, we all know what happened, not only did those dates close down for discounts, but the whole month of April did, too! So now I am left with a $750.00 airfare for the same dates!

Does anyone have any airfare words of wisdom for someone who is in need of some wisdom?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:30 PM
rex

It's only money.

Show me a man whose only problems are money... and I'll show you a man who really doesn't have any problems.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Only the ones that you have probably thought of yourself:

"Grab it when you see it!"

A slightly different version runs:

&quot;Make up your mind how much you are prepared to pay and when it turns up, grab it. And - <b>most importantly</b> - once you've bought your ticket, <b>don't</b> look at air fares again!&quot;
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Eloise,

You know that I can hardly every make up my mind. There are so many cookies in the world's cookie jar that I want to have one of each - or at least make certain that I get the best tasting one!

- dwz
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Dave,

I <b>am</b> sorry; I didn't look at the screen name and didn't realize it was you.

Please promise that you will act on my ever-so-wise advice the next time such an opportunity arises!

Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I would wait a few days and keep trying. I had this problem last year; we ended up buying our tickets to Rome for more money than I had seen them a few days earlier because I was worried the price would go up again. Of course the prices went down again the day after I bought them. If you wait a few days the prices may fall back down again. I probably wouldn't pay $750 for airfare to Paris in April, as you should see a better rate come along. I've never paid that much for any trip to Europe, and we fly from St. Louis.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM

so frustrating...recently happened to us planning a trip...price there one day, and gone by the night - I wish I had words of wisdom...I sometimes wonder, can you imagine if we ran our businesses this way? Oh, today I'll sell my product for x amount, oh wait, this afternoon I'll put a sale on it, but just for the ten of the product....tomorrow I'll double the price...then I'll lower it again in the middle of the night.....I think our customers would do us in !!

Smile, Paris is always worth it.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:20 PM

Thanks dwzemens,
Your misfortune is the solution to my problem (if you were following my woes on another thread the past two days).
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

You are welcome, parisnow. But I have not followed your thread. What favor did I unwittingly do for you?

- dwz
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM

My only advice would be to look for the airfares on more than one site including aggregators and consolidators. Did you do that?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Intrepid1,

I use the feature on Travelocity that shows best fares for given months - supposedly for all the airlines. Do you have a particular suggestion for consolidator sites?

- dwz
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:08 PM

This happened to me one week-end and i was kicking myseslf for not buying, and then the fare came back up the next week-end. Was this NWA by any chance? That's who I used. We're in Paris right now on a NWA fare that was on Travelocity but not on the NWA site. The pattern was they were posting these fares every week-end.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:16 PM

That fare alert on Travelocity isn't worth cr*p, as you rarely actually get the fare it initially displays. Are you sure it was actually available, ie. did you go into booking it far enough to know?
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

It was NWA - but all the airlines had very similar rates for the same days in April....
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:41 PM

First, I have routinely found that Travelocity mirrors what the airline is offering. Most of the time, but not always, when I find a fare on Travelocity I go immediately to that Airline's website and can usully get the same price minus Travelocity's fee.

dwzemens--I want to do a solo trip to Paris. A friend/co-worker always invites herself along on my vacations. Since we work in the same place a scheduled vacation is known. I have tried every possible way to politely tell her I want to do a trip solo but not registering. Friend is shall we say the world revolves around me type person. A party crasher or lets the whole world know if doesn't recieve an invite to something. This is where you come in. I can book a flight on a get it now special. E-Mail my friend the info. She doesn't check her e-mail on a regular basis. And with any luck it will be too late or expensive for her to book.
Thanks again.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Travelnut,

Yes, it was available. In fact, I logged into my NWA site and found the same dates and times for $5.00 less than Travelocity, which is always the case.

It's aggravating....
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

ParisNow,

I was following that message - great thread!

- dwz
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 05:10 PM

If it was on NWA, I'd wait. I also found tixs on NWA to Paris (from LAX) for $409 (we're going next week). The price changed the next day and a few days later, it was back to $409. I actually paid $459 but it went back down to $409 the next day so I called and had them put the difference back on my card.

The rate was on the consolidator websites as well as on NWA.
Old Mar 7th, 2006, 06:27 PM

Yes, It's painful to miss out on a deal. You can not hesitate, grab it as soon as You see it. Some travel websites will hold it for 24 hours using a creditcard to secure.

I booked a hell of a deal for Italy last november, and within 1 hour it was gone, and later that night My inlaws tried to book the same trip and it cost them 700.00 more.
OUCH...