Trier First or Cochem?

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trier First or Cochem?

I'm planning our trip to Germany for May 2005 and need to leave the US on May 5th. This will be Ascension weekend.

We'll arrive in Frankfurt on Friday, the 6th, but I don't know whether to go to Trier for our first night and then to Cochem for the weekend or go to Cochem for the first 2 nights and then visit Trier on Sunday.

Will it make any difference? I'm assuming most places will be crowded since it's a long holiday weekend.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:36 AM
yk

I don't know how Ascension day is like in Germany, but when I was in Zurich on Ascension day in 2003, the whole city closed down and everybody was at church. I was not allowed to visit any churches during services.

I guess you may want to check to see if any of the sites in Trier are closed that particular weekend. Also, if you visit Trier on Sunday, you may have to work around the mass schedule at the Trier cathedral. Cochem is more a commercial town, so I predict the shops may be closed on Ascension Day.

Maybe someone will have more 1st hand experience.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Dear bettyk
Our trip was on Ascension weekend this year and really, the only problem we had was prebooking a hotel (all full!) in Cochem, so we ended up staying in nearby Sohren, which was a delight.
We were in Berkastel and Zell on the Friday of the weekend and Cochem the Saturday and nothing was closed. Also, we were pleasantly surprised that there didn't seem to be much traffic or crowd problems. Also, if you're booking a hotel or guesthouse this early, there should be no problems.
As for which to go to first, I really can't say! Didn't go to Trier, but loved Cochem. Our travels were from Bernkastel on one end to Cochem on the other. Please feel free to ask any questions. As soon as I get my Visa bill (yikes!) I'll be able to give you specifics on restaurants and shops we liked!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 11:32 AM

bettyk: Maybe I don't understand your itinerary, but it sounds like you are spending more time in Cochem than in Trier. We spent an afternoon in Cochem on our way to Trier, toured the castle and walked around. I don't recall there being that much more to see and do. Trier probably has more to see (but maybe you are using Cochem for a base). Also, I'm assuming you'll fly back out of Frankfurt? (we continued on to Paris, so it made sense to hit Cochem first).
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Bitter, we plan to use Cochem as a base for visiting Beilstein, Bernkastel and maybe Burg Eltz. We're only spending 1 day in Trier to take a quick look around and maybe drive across into Luxembourg for a few hours.

From there, we're going to explore other areas of Germany, ending up in Bamberg before flying back out of Frankfurt.

MzPossum, thanks for the info. I feel better about being in Cochem over the weekend now. You said you stayed at the Hotel Schneider. How far of a walk was it to the main sites in Cochem?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Bettyk, thinking more about your trip questions, since we travelled to Germany on Ascension this year. We flew on a Thursday and arrived on a Friday, just as you'll do.
I believe the actual Ascension day is a Thursday; this is when you'll find most of the busninesses closed. Since you'll arrive on a Friday and visit for the weekend, most of the shops and attractions should be open (this is what we found.) Should you be travelling in Germany over Pentacost (Pfingston), which, this year was the weekend after Ascension, almost all the shops (except for very touristy ones) will be closed on Pentacost Monday.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:19 PM

I enjoyed the one night stay in Trier because there is a fun pedestrian area full of shops and good food, and also because we stayed in a hotel right on the river, in a very peaceful location where the river is quite wide. The river views from other Mosel towns were different and not as bucolic.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:20 PM

Hi, Betty!
Just saw you'd asked a question about a hotel in Cochem, but that was someone else who stayed there--we stayed in Sohren. However, based on the size of Cochem, everything is in easy walking distance. Even the castle, even though the walk is fairly steep, only takes about 20 min to walk to and the view is lovely. (a place you can get ice cream halfway up!)
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:23 PM

Cochem is a nice town to use as your base for this area. Easy to get up and down the Moselle.

We stayed at the ALTE THORNDECKE in Cochem when there last in 1997. It is quaint and built into the old fortress walls. If you like that type of place, you will enjoy this if you do not already have a spot.

We spent limited time in Trier. Saw the wall and got out of town so cannot comment too much on it.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

MzPossum, I did notice that Pentecost weekend also falls during this trip, but I don't remember it being a problem on our prior stay in Germany a couple of years ago. I do remember having to make a change in our hotel plans though because I'd wanted to stay at the Auf Schoenburg Castle Hotel and it was already fully booked so we switched a couple of things around so we could do it later in the trip.

Sorry about the mix up. I'll have to go back and check my other message to see who recommended the Schneider. You were the one who recommended Kaefer's, right?

usbeauty, thanks for the info on Trier. Do you remember the name of your hotel?
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Well, MsPossum, I checked my other post and found that you weren't the one who recommended Kaefer's. Sorry for the confusion. I must be having one of my senior moments!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 01:56 PM

betty, I have senior moments all the time. I could have recommended Kaefer's, tho, because I went there and liked it! There's also another pottery shop near there that's a little less expensive, just doesn't have the variety. (that's where I'll have to check those Visa bills!) I did recommend the Restaurant old Bahnhof in Sohren. Hotel Schneider was on our list of places we wanted to stay, but they were booked. They do have a website and they say they are a 10 minute walk from the town center. Only 25 euros a person and looks lovely. Do check out Cochem.de and click on tourismus and then zimmers to get a list of the hotels near to Cochem. Have a wonderful trip---I'm ready to go again.
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 03:07 PM

linrose94 made the recommendation about Kaefer's Store in Sohren on another thread. It sounds like a lovely store to pick up some gifts for home. I made note of it in my notebook, as I'm also planning a trip to Germany, but it won't be for a year or two.

bettyk - I look forward to your trip report when you return next year. We hope to do our trip in May 2006. Peace.

Robyn
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

We just returned last month from our 2-week trip to the UK and, for me, the best cure for the vacation blues is to start planning another trip! There will be 2 couples on the trip next year and I am the travel planner. I don't mind though. I think it's one of the most fun parts of a trip!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:12 PM

bettyk: Cochem is a fine place to stay for a few days, the most scenic spot on the river, IMO, much more so than Trier, and very convenient to Burg Eltz. The in-town Reichsburg castle tour is a reasonably good one, and the view from up there is splendid - worth the walk up to have a drink at the outdoor cafe there and enjoy the view. The castle also has a wonderful falconry show there as well - a couple of Euros. Elsewhere in town, you should consider a chairlift ride to the peak (Pinnerkreuz) overlooking the town. There is a little mustard mill ("Senfmühle") that you can tour on the opposite side of the river as well as a few wine tasting opportunities. A river boat to Beilstein (1 hour each way from Cochem's pier) makes for a nice outing too.

Bob1 has recommended a hotel that many praise highly - but with apologies to bob, I must correct his spelling of the place once more! It's the ALTE THORSCHENKE if you want to look it up - very close in at the edge of the old town area. I haven't stayed there myself since I usually require more moderate digs (family-run B&B's, usually) but the Thorschenke is well liked.

Old Jun 16th, 2004, 08:39 PM

bettyk, I'll try to find the name of the hotel.

The reason I liked the river view in Trier is because the river is wider and the view not as obscured by the dramatic vineyards as experienced in Cochem. You can see the sun set over the river with the lights of Trier in the distance. My spine tingled.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Russ, for the info on Cochem.

For this trip, I'm trying to keep our hotels to around 90 Euro or under but willing to splurge where warranted. We're not B&B people but like smaller hotels with a little charm or quaintness and not far from the main sights. Where possible, I love to be on a lake or river. Since we will have a car, ease of parking and navigating to the hotel are also considerations.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:01 PM

Pretty much nothing on the Mosel is all that far from the main sights.

If you like a quiet place to stay after a day of touring about, Beilstein is very nice. We enjoyed Hotel Haus Lipmann very much.

http://www.hotel-haus-lipmann.com/

It is right on the river (ask for river view room), parking is easy, no railroad to create a racket, excellent restaurant, friendly and helpful hosts and staff. There's a ferry across the river as well.

We aren't big night time party people, so Beilstein was perfect for us to wind down at the end of each day. Spent a lot of time at the hotel's outdoor dining area sipping cool, white wine, chatting with guests and staff, and watching the river activity.

A nice church and castle ruins in Bielstein as well.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, RTF. I've read over your previous posts and others about Haus Lipmann in Beilstein. It's definitely on my list as well as the Alte Thorndecke and Burg Hotel in Cochem.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 10:28 AM

bettyk--you'll have a good time just about no matter where you decide to stay on the Mosel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information