Search

Trenitalia Train Showing No Seats Overnight Venice To Paris May 10th

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2009, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trenitalia Train Showing No Seats Overnight Venice To Paris May 10th

Hello,

I was hoping someone here could give me some advice. I've been looking for tickets from Venice to Paris on the overnight train on the trenitalia website. I'm looking for May 10th that leaves at 19:57. There used to be a smart price listed but it would never show seats available. If I look today the other options flexi, moove, go, and disabled all show no seats. Is there something I'm doing wrong or will it just not let me book tickets online from the US.
Please let me know if you have any advice.

Thank You for your time
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Trenitalia has been updating their website the last couple of weeks and it seems they aren't finished. The Smart Fares may be sold out or no longer exist. The Aretesia website explains your current fare choices (the fare choices link on Trenitalia quit working when they started upgrading). Go fare would be the best depending what type of seats you want.
http://www.artesia.eu/english/travel-offers.php
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the response. I can't find how to book tickets from Venice to Paris on the site you provided. There seems to be a lot the other direction. Is there a way to book tickets on trenitalia?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Trenitalia is very difficult and most people don't have success getting online purchases to go through. If you know exactly what you want, you might be able to get your hotel to book it for you. I'm able to select with some of the fares for you dates.
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Hello kybourbon,

No matter what tickets I select I get the following error message "The train, journey section or category solution requested are unavailable for the date selected. Please enter different data. (Error 2060)" Its been this way for a couple of weeks. I haven't ever made it to a spot to input a credit card. Any Advice?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:42 PM

The French Rail site, www.voyages-sncf.com is showing tickets for your train your date for Euro 115 (Flexi). You have to book your tickets in French, but otherwise, it's pretty straightforward.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Note that this train doesn't have ordinary seats. The cheapest fare is in a couchette (a bunk bed in a six-berth mixed-sex compartment). Sleeping berths (one-, two- or three-berth compartments) are much better.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 02:27 AM

Also be aware that posters on this board have reported strangers trying to enter the berths on that night train.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 04:50 AM

All couchette and sleeping compartments can be locked from the inside. The train staff normally remind people to use the locks.
I've used the night trains from Paris to Italy many times over the past 30 years and never had any security problems.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 05:22 AM

As was pointed out by the posters who reported these negative experiences, which happened recently, the locks are the doors of Italian trains are flimsy.

The posters were not nervous travelers and they were disappointed to be relaying this information. They had a good time in Italy and would not have taken the night train except for post like GeoffHamer's that said there were no problems. But especially for female travelers, they deserve to know that some travelers have indeed experienced problems with strangers attempting to break into their compartments, and others have complained that sometimes train personnel seemed complicit in the effort.

You go at your own risk.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 06:26 AM

A "Moove" fare is cheaper than a "Go" fare.

The Trenitalia site accepts VISA credit cards, but ONLY if you have signed up with your provider for the "Verified by VISA" program. Do that first. Then register on the Trenitalia site. As soon as you receive your temporary password, go back on the site and choose a new one. Then book your tickets.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:09 AM

If you book first class cabin there should be no problem with security. 2nd class cabins will be shared if you haven't booked all the beds. The Porter will open the cabin and let people in to sleep on the empty beds which can turn out to be an undesirable roommate. So you take your chances booking 2nd class.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 09:17 AM

I believe that the posters who encountered problems encountered them in 1st class.
Old Apr 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Hello - Hopefully its ok to post links. I'm posting the below link that shows the two error messages I receive. It doesn't matter if I'm signed in or not. It always shows that there are no seats available. I have chosen every option and including child seats and I always get the same errors. I've tried at the library and at work and receive the same items. I've tried three different browsers and still get the same message. Please advise if you have any ideas.

http://imgkk.com/images/bgxvi4ez.jpg