Trenitalia, purchasing tickets on line

Jul 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

Trenitalia, purchasing tickets on line

Help needed to novice here! I was told that I could purchase our Trenitalia tickets 3 months ahead of travel date of Sept 28 2005, which would have been June 28, but when I go to their site (English) the BUY button is not available. I've tried emailing them with questions, but no answer. Can someone, (Ira?) shed some light? THX
Jul 9th, 2005, 10:49 PM

Katerbug - You cant purchase tickets until you have 60 days or less from your travel date.

Tom
Jul 10th, 2005, 05:11 AM

I too am a novice and purchased a ticket this week for travel on September 6. It is 2 months in advance - butif you are travelling on Sept 28, you can purchase on July 29.

You will also need to register and receive a password prior to purchasing. This only took me a minute - but you could do that a day in advance and have the password ready. Also, when it asks you what carriage/seats numbers you want -just leave that blank because you don't know the configuation of the train.
It also works best on a high speed connection.

Linda
Jul 10th, 2005, 05:28 AM
eri

We simply went to the train staion in Rome, purchased tickets and got on the train. If you don't travel in the high season, I don't see any reason for advance purchasing.
Jul 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Well, TRSW, that explains it! My travel agent (that I'm not using cuz I enjoy doing all the planning myself) told me 90 days! Would you consider Sept 28 still "high" season?
Jul 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM

Katerbug - As for late Septmeber being "High Season", I cant really tell you. I will not make my first trip to Italy until mid October. Sorry.

Tom
Jul 10th, 2005, 09:49 PM

if you click on my name you will find an eariler discussion on whether to purchase train tickets in advance or not. I would not consider September to be the high season, especially late September. But even during the high season, it couldn't be simpler to purchase tickets at the station for the same day or the next day. Certainly, it seems, a lot less confusing than using the trenitalia website to purchase 3 months in advance. Just my opinion though.
Jul 11th, 2005, 03:29 AM
eri

Late September isn't considered high season. I also had the impression that I paid less purchasing tickets in the the station than what I saw in the web site for advance purchasing.
Jul 11th, 2005, 03:09 PM
ira

Hi K,

You can purchase tickets as early as 60 days in advance.

click on "promotions" to see if you can get the 29E price.

You have to register in advance.

Prices online are the same as in Italy.

If you are booking on an ES* train you can print your tickets.

For other trains, you have to get your tickets from the train station (machine or agent) or a travel agent.

Have a nice visit.

Search this Thread