Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Purchase train tixs before arriving in September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be necesary to purchase train tixs from Venice to Bologna, Bologna to Florence in September?

I am still trying to figure out how to buy them from trenitalia.

Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 03:07 PM

We went from Venice to Florence and Florence to Rome in 2003...and we didn't even think to buy tickets in advance. Just go to the train station, ask for your destination, and you can pick from the schedule. Chances are there will be a train nearly every hour.

Jules
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:23 PM

Are you stopping in Bologna for some reason? Just curious.

We purchased the majority of our train tickets online before our trip. I was REALLY glad that we did. The reason being that the automatic ticket machines were always busy with lines and the ticket sales people ALWAYS had even bigger lines!

Having our tickets in advance meant all we had to do was find out what track our train was on and get there. Several times, we would not have had time to stop and purchase tickets (like when we were RUNNING for the station in Florence to make the last train to Rome)!

Buying them in advance also allowed me to see all the possible options, work out our schedule, and then choose the best option without any pressure. Sometimes leaving a few minutes earlier or later saved us a few bucks, too.

If you do choose to buy in advance, all you need to do is show your confirmation to the conductor when (s)he comes around and (s)he will print you a ticket receipt on the train. It was VERY easy and painless!

BTW, you need to register on Trenitalia's website in order to purchase tickets online. That part is pretty painless, too! =)
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:54 PM

We just returned from Italy, where it was presumably busier than it will be in September. Still we had absolutely no problems buying train tickets for trips the same day-even to the "more popular" destinations. Sure there are occasional lines at the automatic ticket machines, but never more than 10 minutes, especially at the larger stations where there are a bunch of machines. They couldn't be easier to use, either. I was a bit leery before being there, but the automatic machines explain everything in English quite clearly.
My advice: Find out what times the trains run before you leave (for peace of mind) but wait until you're there to purchase. Chances are you'll have a better idea what time you will want to travel once you are there. And you can always buy your tickets a day in advance, even on the automatic machines, if it makes you more comfortable.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:08 AM

I have to agree with aspalm on this one unless you definitely know the times you wish to travel.

You can lessen any "problems" with lines at ticket machines by getting to the station with time to spare rather than at the last minute (if you do a same-day buy) or go ahead of time after arrival and buy in advance.

Obviously, up to you as to comfort level.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:08 AM
ira

t
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the helpful information. I think I will have the schedules mapped out and buy that from a kiosk.

Do the machines take credit cards?

How much is a fare for a 4 year old?

We are staying 2 days in Bologna.

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
There are family discounts for 2 adults and one child age 4-12. Here is a link for the Trenitalia discounts. Scroll down below the schemes info.
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/area_cl...iaggio3.html#2
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 04:40 PM

yes, the machines do take credit cards.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:40 PM

Don't bother. Lots of trains. You can purchase tickets at the station-from ticket wickets or from the self serve machine or some travel agents (getting to be fewer) sell train tickets. Would avoid using the ticket wickets...always seems to be a big line. There are lots of trains per day in all classes of service.