Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trenitalia help! Really could use some wisdom!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My plane ticket is on hold but booking it depends on trying to find out the train schedule. I can't seem to get the Trenitalia website to work. I am now getting schedules for 2009 (yeah!) but I can only seem to get the times for two trains from Rome to Bologna (at 6:40 and 7:10 pm) this seems wrong to me? Are there really only these two trains?

I would like to leave Rome on Jan. 13, 2009 in the morning (9am or so). Is there some secret to getting the schedule?? I've tried the "all solutions button" (but nothing happened) I hate to ask a stupid question but I don't have a lot of time as the plane ticket must be booked today. Thanks!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:11 AM

there are at least hourly trains between Rome and Bologna

this is an old boog-a-boo of trenitalia at times they load only a very few trains after a certain date and slowly load more

this usually happens at the start of summer schedules in early June but maybe also the start of winter schedules, often in mid December

have no worry there will be hourly trains at least and you will have no trouble booking them upon arrival - trenitalia.com however may yield some discounted fares but the site totally frustrates many. Not worth the hassle for most as Italian trains are very cheap anyway.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 11:14 AM

It is the case of Trenitalia not getting around to publishing the schedule yet for that time period.

You can get a good idea of available trains by looking up schedule for days in 2008. There are usually 2 Eurostar trains per hour from Roma to Bologna.
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you!! You all are such life savers! Ticket bought!
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The schedules don't really change much. If you want to see most of the trains available (and prices), enter a date within the next 7 days (preferrably on the day of week you will be traveling).
Old Oct 19th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I took the Rome to Bologna train last week -- left at 9:00 and was there at noon. I strongly advise you to take the Eurostar. What browser are you using for the Trenitalia website? Try Internet Explorer.