Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trenatalia - "your chosen train is not purchasable" - ??????

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I received a "we are sorry but your chosen train is not purchasable" pop up when chosing an ES AV option from Milan to Florence. Does this mean it's booked (I tried 3 options), or some other meaning? Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM

How far away is your travel? It may be that you are too far out.
Old May 27th, 2009, 04:55 PM

No is not purchaseable..perhaps is too early to buy the tickets.Just copy and paste the train's itinerary and the times..You can buy the tickets in any traveling agency or Amex offices free of charges..
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks GoSox & kismetchimera, the travel dates are in October. Do you know within what timeframe I can purchase?
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:01 PM

I'm going from memory here (a dodgy proposition at the best of times ) but IIRC you're limited to 60 days in advance
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:14 PM

Kudos to you for being so organized, but I think you can't buy tickets online now because your travel dates are too far out. Check on the website and see what it says about buying tickets in advance and then pounce the minute online tickets are available.
Old May 27th, 2009, 06:50 PM

Don't worry about it now. Check the timetable a week or two before you go, then buy the tickets at a ticket machine in the station or from any travel agent in Milan displaying the trenitalia logo. We took the train from Paris to milan at the end of Sept. a couple of years ago. We got into Milan about 2 p.m., went to the ticket machine, and at 3 p.m. we were on the fast train to Venice.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
We travel in October, and I've never bought train tickets before leaving home and never more than a day in advance. We've only had a problem once, about 10 years ago, when we had to sit in a smoking-allowed carriage (no longer an issue on Italian trains).

If you're in Milan the day before you want to go to Florence, just buy the tickets then. If you were thinking of landing in Milan and going directly to Florence, I don't recommend buying tickets in advance in the event your flight is delayed and you miss the train you're ticketed on.
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:55 PM

Hello delvino, you can only buy the train tickets 60 days in advance. Most Americans have a terrible time trying to buy the train tickets in advance btw. You are going to stay overnight in Milan if memory serves me right. So you can buy the tickets the day you arrive, in fact I am almost certain there is a desk or counter at Malpensa where you can buy the train tickets when you arrive. But if not there will be no problem obtaining your train tickets once you arrive in Milan. I would imagine you will be taking the Malpesna Shuttle bus from Malpensa to the Centrale (Central) Train station..perfect place to buy your tickets to Florence for the next day. Best regards.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

LoveItaly,

I looks like we'll go directly after landing to Florence. The week we are going is Fashion Week, and the hotel pricing is above my price point. I'm trying to keep this trip very cheap (relative term these days). But in the current economic conditions I'm uncomfortable with spending much.

I'll start looking 60 days out, hoping to get all the tickets for my day trips as well, at the special pricing that is available for advanced purchases. I realize I may have difficulty getting through but I'll try.