Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Trenitalia - Riomaggiore to Venice - Segment sold out?
Notices

Trenitalia - Riomaggiore to Venice - Segment sold out?

Aug 25th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Trenitalia - Riomaggiore to Venice - Segment sold out?

There are 4 of us travelling on Oct. 13/14 from Riomaggiore to Venice. Upon checking on Trenitalia it is showing the Intercity 505 portion (leaving 10:06) from La Spezia to Pisa sold out. We were interested in taking the Regionale 2501 out of CT as it has the best connections and shortest travel time to Venice.

Does anyone know if this is actually sold out or is this an instance where the fare hasn't been loaded yet? We were going to purchase our tickets upon arrival in CT, however if some of these trains are already sold out perhaps we should be booking them now?

I have read of some nightmares booking through Trenitalia (we are Canadians). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Aug 25th, 2014, 12:57 PM

If you are taking a Regionale then it will show not available - not sold out.

You can only buy Regionale on line seven days in advance. BUT there is absolutely no reason to do. Regionale trains never sell out and tickets are never discount. Regionale ticket purchased on line come with restriction so NEVER purchase Regionale tickets on line. Just buy at the station or ticket machine.
Aug 25th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fmpden, it isn't a Regionale it is an Intercity and it says "seats sold out on train 505 - solution can not be purchased.
Aug 25th, 2014, 03:18 PM

It would be a very rare occurrence that a train would be sold out so far in advance. I think something else is going on here, especially since it gives the same message for that train on other dates I tried in October, and even in late November.

I'm sure you can get from Riomaggiore to Venice even buying your tickets at the last minute, although maybe not taking that specific train.

The particular itinerary you mention involves four different trains, with fairly tight connections. I hope you're traveling very light. I myself would be inclined to rearrange the itinerary to avoid that tedious trek.
Aug 25th, 2014, 03:26 PM

Well why not just plan to buy the IC segment once there or if not available then take an earlier regional train to Pisa Centrale - though never sell out and there are no reserved seats possible.
Aug 25th, 2014, 04:19 PM

>>>Thanks fmpden, it isn't a Regionale it is an Intercity and it says "seats sold out on train 505 - solution can not be purchased.<<<

As pointed out, regional tickets don't sell out (like riding the subway doesn't sell out, but may be full).

Fares are loaded through the end of the summer schedule which is the 2nd weekend in Dec. It's possible that IC train could be sold out, but there are far more regional trains on that route anyway so I wouldn't even try for the IC (I don't like the old style IC trains as they are difficult with luggage). Buy regional tickets while you are in the CT (any shop with the Trenitalia logo) for Riomaggiore to Florence. There are more restrictions if you buy them online and they can only be bought online 7 days in advance. If you want to get a discount for Florence/Venice, buy those in advance on Trenitalia or Italo Treno. Make sure you allow enough time to reach Florence.

I would take one of the regional trains that don't require changing in La Spezia. One less train change hassle.

Riomaggiore 08:56
Pisa Centrale 10:38
01:42 Regionale 2041

If you buy regional tickets once in Riomaggiore, they won't be train specific.
Aug 25th, 2014, 04:22 PM

>>>If you buy regional tickets once in Riomaggiore, they won't be train specific.<<<

They will be specific to regional trains for the route you buy (you can't take other trains such as IC, etc.), but not specific to time of day or date (good for several months). You must validate before boarding the train. Bought online, they are specific date, prevalidated and you have a time window you must travel within.
Aug 25th, 2014, 05:41 PM

I need a kybourbon app on my phone...
Aug 26th, 2014, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks kybourbon, PalenQ, bvlenci for the advice and for allaying my fears of trains being booked. We will proceed as planned which was to buy our tickets as we go. We may look at prebooking the Florence to Venice just because I don't want to be arriving in Venice too late.

Jean...I agree, I have noticed in using this forum for trip planning that kybourbon is always a wealth of information and he does it "nicely" too!
Aug 26th, 2014, 07:38 AM

I checked it out and for about a week around the time you are traveling that same msg comes up--a bit strange.

An alternative: there is a 727 departure getting in at 1410 or 856 getting in at 1420. It looks like you can get the tics now if willing to go earlier.
Aug 26th, 2014, 09:48 AM

Jean...I agree, I have noticed in using this forum for trip planning that kybourbon is always a wealth of information and he does it "nicely" too!>

This I agree with but I always thought 'he' was a 'she'? Is 'she' a 'he'?
Aug 26th, 2014, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

"This I agree with but I always thought 'he' was a 'she'? Is 'she' a 'he'?"

Oops..Sorry kybourbon!?

jan47ete - It is strange...I think we will be going with the 856 getting in at 1420.
Aug 26th, 2014, 02:16 PM

If you buy the Florence-Venice segment well in advance, you may be able to get a good discount. However, keep in mind that the discounted tickets are mostly nonrefundable. Allow plenty of time to make that connection. Maybe you could plan a lunch break in Florence. That way, if your train arrives late, you can still make the Venice train, grabbing a sandwich in the station to eat on the train.
Aug 26th, 2014, 02:45 PM

Oops..Sorry kybourbon!?>

I do not know what gender he/she is - just thought.
Aug 26th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

bvlenci, what do you consider plenty of time? The schedule on Trenitalia is showing 15 minutes, if we take the 8:56 out of Riomaggiore, ar. Pisa 10:38, lv. Pisa 11:12, ar. Florence 12:00.

I wasn't as concerned about the discount as I am about securing a seat on that train. Any idea if that train gets fully booked and if so, how far in advance should we be getting our tickets? We arrive in Italy the end of September.

Search this Thread