Travelling to Ireland in Fall 2015

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2015, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boyfriend and I are very excited to be travelling in Ireland this year. We've decided to stay 8-10 days in either late September/early October 2015, within the southern regions. I've read different reviews about travelling by train (mixed reviews) and we're not fans of group tours. We're essentially left with renting a car and mapping out our own itineraries.

While we want to see the best that Ireland has to offer, we're also not keen for falling into the tourist traps either. Can anyone make any recommendations as to what kind of itinerary they would propose for 2 adventurous souls that enjoy stumbling upon gems?

We also want to support the local economies by staying in smaller towns, with quaint B & Bs as well, rather than city hotels.

Thank you!!
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 04:50 AM

http://www.aranislands.ie/aran-islan...-Mor-Inishmore
spend several days here and hike or bike. Love the seals, people and cliffs here. B&Bs are all there are.

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/
Connemara national park is beautiful also.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you flpab!
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 05:29 AM

Some years ago, we spent a week Self-Catering in a stone cottage on the Sheep's Head, which might also fit the bill.

My Trip Report: http://ireland.activeboard.com/t5658...-renewal-tour/
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 12:40 PM

If you hire a car you can wing it late September-October. If you go via Bus (more options than trains) then you are tied to given routes but you can still get about.

Quaint is not a favoured word in Ireland but there are plenty of small picturesque villages all over the island. Problem being that accommodation might not be widespread in these small places and you will soon find that a small Irish village is not the place you imagine watching the made for tourism video's. You will find the small bar with the real fire but don't expect the locals to wear woollies and play tin whistles.
3 typical trips.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...k.kEb8gft9Lys4
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.klHBUBJRVM5M
https://mapsengine.google.com/map/ed...k.kPZCJTlmqdBw
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Tony, you have been working on your maps again. Great job.
Old Jan 8th, 2015, 03:33 PM

No sorry, just the old ones that I can't edit/fully recover. Most of the markers are still there even if changed and some information is missing but for a rough idea they serve some purpose?
Old Jan 9th, 2015, 04:39 AM

My mother and I actually did a 10 day tour of Ireland in October 2012. We decided on renting a car which allowed us to move at our own pace.i have to say it took some getting used to to be able to drive on the "wrong" side of the car on the "wrong" side of the road so I was glad I opted to pay the extra money for an automatic transmission.
We started in Dublin for two nights, took advantage of the Hop On Hop Off buses so we could see all of the major POI. Then we picked up our rental and headed to Cahir for the night. Stayed at a lovely Small hotel in the center of town that was right next to the castle there. The next day we headed to Blarney to see the castle. Some say this can be missed but to me, it was one of the prettiest places we went. That night we stayed at the Blarney Woolen Mills. Great shopping there for woolen products.we then moved on to Killarney and stayed for two nights at the Cahernane House which was wonderful. We took a jaunting car ride through the forest thereto see the Abbey. Loved it. After that we took the ferry up by Limerick and headed to the Cliffs of Mohr for two nights. Then headed back to Dublin airport for the night before heading home.
I'd be happy to supply you with links or information to any of the above if you'd like. Just let me know. I'm on my iPad at the moment which is not really handy for adding that info.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!! The feedback is very helpful!!
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 12:34 PM

Don't give up on the "tourist traps". There is a reason why every visitor goes there - they are a lot of fun. Our favorites: Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Castle, Killarney National Park, Giants Causeway, Dublin. We went October of 2011 and weather was 40-55 degrees. A little rain everyday. You will have a blast -- can't wait for my next trip!
Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 10:40 AM

Have a glance through my trip reports - I've been to Ireland 5 times, and love finding hidden gems! Inis Mor is a wonderful one, as mentioned earlier. Great maps, Tony!