Travelling to Europe with a 10, 3 and 2 year old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I was wonring if I culd get any advice/ recommendation on a trip we are planning with my three daughters...they are 10, 3 and 2 years old...not sure is too crazy or not. Any trip suggestions?
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 06:44 PM

You should travel to places that interest YOU, but adjust your schedule and activities to satisfy your children.

You might find good ideas and insight from this ongoing trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ough-paris.cfm
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 07:05 PM

You'll get better suggestions once you narrow it down more than "travelling to Europe." Are you thinking cities? Scenery? What time of year? Etc. -- Lots of us have traveled with kids of all ages, so let us know a little more about what you have in mind. My most general advice, in addition to agreeing with what ellenem said, would be to slow your pace down to half of what you think you "could" do, and then build in child-friendly activities (such as local parks). Also, think about basing yourself in just a couple of places instead of moving around a lot.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 03:20 AM

I wouldn't travel with anyone still in diapers who needs a nap, whether they were 2 or 72.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Biz

we travelled around Germany, Belgium, and the Netherlands with our 2-year old this summer and in many ways it went better than anticipated. I would avoid big, sprawling cities like Paris or London - stick to compact, stroller-friendly (ie. flat) towns like Amsterdam. Find a base of operations like Munich or Brussels and do day trips to sites you can reach by bus or train in an hour or so. When booking hotels, find out if there are parks with playgrounds nearby. In Germany many beer gardens have attached playgrounds so adults can relax and enjoy themselves while keeping an eye on the kids, who also get to have a fun time. Most importantly, BRING AN IPAD loaded with books and games - that wonderful device kept our little one occupied while we checked out museums, palaces, etc.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:20 AM

I would wait 3 years when you all can enjoy it more.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:37 AM

I think your biggest issue is the difference in ages. The 10 y.o. should normally get a lot out of the trip, but will be "stuck" with the schedule of the other two. If there are two adults I would split up each afternoon and one of you go out with the 10 yo, while the other return to the hotel for nap/down time with the little ones.

You are missing a lot of info that would help answer your question....time of year, length of trip, method of transportation and your interests.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:40 AM

Utterly impossible to answer your question without lots more input from you as to budget, interests, etc. Have you done any preliminary reading, investigating? Looked at maps? Have ANY idea what countries appeal to you? We don't have crystal balls here - at least I don't - so you need to narrow things down a bit before anyone can even hope to help you out.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 06:43 AM

How are you thinking about traveling - by car or by train or by plane?

Makes a huge difference on advice you'll attract.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM

Everytime I read about trips like this, I think, WHY? The 2 and 3 year old are certainly not going to even remember the trip, so really, its all about the parents wanting to do it and they have no choice but to bring the kids along, too. I know it can be done, and there are several trip reports here on Fodor's that prove it, but I'm with bobthenavigator - wait a few more years, when the whole family can actually have a trip to remember.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM

The 10 year old can ceratinly enjoy the trip - and frankly I think a 2 and 3 year old get just as much out of europe as they get out of Disney - and the adults enjoy it a lot more.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:02 AM

You might consider some general books about European travel with children for planning. I have given these as gifts to friends and family.

Take Your Kids to Europe, 8th: How to Travel Safely (and Sanely) in Europe with Your Children, by Cynthia Harriman

Europe with Kids: Full-color lifestyle guide to traveling in Europe with children (Footprint - Lifestyle Guides) by William Gray

Storybook Travels: From Eloise's New York to Harry Potter's London, Visits to 30 of the Best-Loved Landmarks in Children's Literature by Colleen Dunn Bates and Susan La Tempa (This one isn't specific to Europe but includes some places in Europe).

There are also more specific books for travel with children individual countries and major cities in Europe.

Have fun planning!
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Wherever you plan to go, I would recommend a house or apartment near a park and/or pool (as long as the pool is fenced for the 2/3 year olds). Pick one base and do day trips. Be prepared to have a very slow pace.

I do not think you're crazy. You will likely have a wonderful time.

I've had a fantastic time in the French countryside with my young daughter over the years. Three kids will be tough no matter where you are!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:17 AM

If going by train and on a wide-ranging trip then you should IMO look at railpasses - especially since you two younger kids get free passes and the 10 yr old get 50% off. that a single partent hauling three tykes around on trains can be a major job - you do not say if you are going with two adults, which would make it more manageble - and on trains at least kids can run around a bit - indeed more than a few European trains even have family compartments and compartments open to all kids with games, legos, etc.

Anyway for loads on planning any European rail trip I always spotlight these info-laden sites - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:09 PM

Well, I don't know your little ones, but I HATED the in-between time waiting for trains and planes. Planes were better because at least you were indoors and sometimes could check your luggage. At train stations, my hyperactive little one was bonkers and I was worried she'd run right off the platform. If it's just daytrips and all you need is a couple of backpacks, it may not be as bad. And PalenQ is right, the deals on trains for families are fantastic. But if budget isn't a problem, a car would be my choice.
Old Jan 15th, 2011, 07:19 AM

With 2 adults it could be manageable, depending of course on the hyperactivity of the kiddos - but I would not take three kids this age with a single parent whether by car, plane or train.
Old Jan 16th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Me thinks christycruz has it right - with three young kids try to base in one place for some days - yes a place with a swimming pool or whatever for kids to play on. If you wanted to consider renting a caravan in a campsite in say Provence you could, with a car, do easy day trips to so many nearby sights - like any camp near Avignon/Arles - I did this with my young son several times and it was great - camps all had swimming pools (piscines) and jeu d'enfants - kid play areas and lots of other kids. You can rent a caravan (trailer) without having to drive it at all as it stays static in the campground and is rented out by the week, etc.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 07:51 AM

Those camps are great. There's also one in Audrix in the Dordogne: http://www.le-bos.com/gb/presentation.htm

In summer, Audrix also has a night market. I forget which day. It's one of my favorites.

If you're interested in camping, you can google the area you're interested in. Often there are cabins available, and it's very comfortable.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

Hello all and thank you for the tips, ideas, books names, etc. For those who wndeed why now sometimes you just cannot afford the time to wait, life presents like that some times.
We figured we will base and spend a few days in Paris and then rent a car to go to the south and enjoy the beaches, south France and south Spain.
Thank you again to everyone!
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM

You may want to seriously consider the family and kid-friendly campings, as the French call campgrounds - like the many that rent out caravans, as they call trailers - use them as a base - most have children play areas, swimming pools, rec centers, etc. It is actually like moving into a community of Europeans - folks from all over who come to southern France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -