Travelling in Ireland

Sep 14th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Travelling in Ireland

We are looking for any infomation regarding renting an auto for 6 while travelling in Ireland. We are hoping to have at least 3 of us be able to drive, information regarding the insurance for each driver would be helpful. Also any hidden costs or situations we should be aware of which we may not be expecting. Thanks.
Sep 14th, 2010, 10:03 AM

<<< situations we should be aware of which we may not be expecting. >>>

Apart from Northern Ireland, Ireland isn't part of the UK. You might want to have a word with the moderators about changing the tags
Sep 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Or report with the gist of your question in the heading - Info on Car Rental in Ireland Needed...
Sep 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM

Understanding that 7 passenger vehicle will be very large for many of the small rural roads in the scenic parts ofIreland-- start by getting a quote from autoeurope.com They are a broker that works w/ several different rental agencies. Then you can check w/ Dan Dooley and others.

Insurance is a special concern in Ireland. No credit cards (except for one very specific World Mastercard) covers car rentals in the Republic. So it is REALLY important to get a quote that includes all insurance. Having 3 drivers may increase your costs.
Sep 14th, 2010, 04:40 PM

How much luggage will you have? A 7 passenger vehicle (not a car - none carry 6 people) may not be big enough if you have a lot of luggage. If each has a 22" wheelie you should be OK. if people are bringing larger bags I would contact the rental agency in person and tell them the number/size of bags so you get a vehicle that will accommodate all. And do assume there will be an extra daily charge for each additional driver.
Sep 14th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Another option -- If you are 6 adults even a 9 passenger vehicle may be crowded w/ the bags. So think about possibly renting 2 small cars. It would be cheaper and give you more flexibility.
Sep 22nd, 2010, 09:34 AM

I agree with JanisJ. The extra cost per driver is probably about $100 for a 7 day pd. At least I think that's what I recently paid.