Info on leasing a car in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any info on leasing a car in Ireland? I understand that a car can be leased if you need it for at least 17 days, which I do. I am wondering which companies lease vehicles in Ireland (AutoEurope does not). I am wondering if you can decline the CDW using a Mastercard, like when you rent a car? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM

I will address the MasterCard CDW issue. It is for rentals only and they will cover you for a rental of 15 days or less. http://www.mastercard.com/cardholder...insurance.html
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I knew that already. I am just wondering if you have to get the insurance if you lease. Thanks.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 03:49 AM

I don't think leasing scheme for tourists exists in Ireland or anywhere else except the well-known French programmes by Renault and Peugeot. Leasing in Ireland is for businesses or residents.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 06:02 PM

the general rule in ireland is 15 day rental maximum however if you get a diners club card to can get it for 30 days - was there in sept/oct and that is what i did - got car for about23/23 days
bob
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Hi MrsMolly:

I know you're asking about leasing but I would think that leasing, in terms of what we refer to, would not work with MC. Some companies refer to leasing as we would renting.

I usually rent for over 15 days in Ireland. You can use the MC waiver for longer periods of time, but it takes a bit of planning. What you need to do is rent the car twice. Once from the airport to somewhere in the middle of the trip and then from the middle of the trip back to the airport (or too another one). If you use a small location as the second stop, it is VERY likely that they will give you the same car because they have no others. You will note that it states that you can extend the coverage if you rent a "different" car at a location different from the original pick up point.

I suggest calling O'Scannlain (http://www.oscannlain.com/) and getting info and prices from them. They are usually quite competitive with samll car prices (esp. manual) and are very helpful in setting up the drop of scheme.

I hope this helps!

Bill
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 02:07 PM

Hi again MrsMolly:

Well, I found your other post to StCirq and did a little more research. It appears from everything that I can find, that this offer is not available in Ireland. I'm not sure why, but it all may come back to Irelands auto insurance issues. It looks like a pretty good deal for long term rentals. I just can't seem to find any in Ireland. Thanks for bringing this up though as it may pay off on a longer UK trip for me.

Bill
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Bill - Thanks for your post. I actually booked a car through O'Scannlain. They had the best price, without a doubt. A full size automatic for 17 days for $614. That's a good deal. I know it's not summer and the prices are a bit lower when I go, but still I think this is very good. We are picking up in Dublin and then changing the car in Galway and getting the second rental (same car) and then returning again in Dublin. Thanks for all your help.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:29 AM

MrsMolly:

Glad to help. I'm about to call them for my trip this May. When will you be there? Hope you have a great trip.

Bill
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

We are going March 11-28. We'll be there for St. Patrick's day and Easter. I've never been there before for those holidays.

Have you ever used O'Scannlain before?

You have a great trip too.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 08:54 AM

Yes, I've used O'Scannlain and they were great. Others have had the same experience. I'm just trying to figure out exactly where I am going so that I can do the car exchange and then I will give them a call.

Bill