Reload this Page >

Travelling from Seville to Lisbon

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Peter

I wil be in Spain with my family during the last week in December. I am trying to get from Seville to Lisbon but can't seem to find an economical way to do it. There is no direct train and one way car rentals are very expensive (we were planning on taking the train from Lisbon to Madrid). Also, does anyone know how long the drive is (in case I decide to return back to Seville from Lisbon, which would allow me to then rent a car more economically). Any suggestions?

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 07:20 PM
Rex

If you haven't already locked in your air travel plans to get to Spain (are you flying trans-atlantic), you may find that you can benefit from asking Iberia or Spanair about discounted flights withIN the Iberian peninsula for travelers that fly trans-atlantic with them.<BR><BR>You might have to purchase it all at once.<BR><BR>Otherwise, get driving times and distances from any of these three:<BR><BR>www.viamichelin.com<BR>www.mappy.com <BR><BR>or<BR><BR>www.geoshellstar.com<BR><BR>I' ve driven it before, and got lucky - - they had a Spanish car in Lisbon and didn't charge me anything to pick up there and return in Spain. You can do it in 4 or 5 hours, I think.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Beenthere

I went in the other direction, Lisbon to Sevilla. Overnight train to Madrid, then switched to the AVE to Sevilla. It was fine, and it saved a night's hotel cost. However, for about the same cost one could fly from Lisbon to Sevilla (or visa versa, in your case).

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 10:50 PM
beenthere

One more thing if you do take the train. Be sure you know what station you're arriving at in Madrid & which one the train to Lisbon is leaving from. They were different stations when I did it. Although there's great subway links between the two, you've got to allow more time to catch the second train.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Daniel

Train via Madrid cost more than 100 euros, but it is a overnight journey. AVE high speed train from Sevilla Santa Justa to Madrid Puerto de Atocha is &euro; 62 for Turista, 92 for Preferente and 110.50 for Club class. The Trenhotel (dep Madrid Chamartin 22.45, arr Lisboa Santa Apolonia 8.15) cost from &euro; 47.50. <BR>www.renfe.es/viajes/precios_int.htmlpcion1.<BR><BR>There is a bus from Sevilla Plaza de Armas (not Mon and Wed) 15.00, arr Lisbon 21.00. &euro; 32.<BR>www.eurolines.es/portugal.htm#MalagaLisboa.<BR><BR>There are more buses via Algarve. If you leave Seville around 7 in the morning, change in Huelva and Faro, you can arrive Lisbon 15.00. Total cost about 30 euros.<BR>www.damas-sa.es, www.eva-bus.com/altaq.<BR><BR>Remember to reset your watch at the border between Spain and Portugal.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 05:04 PM
ttt

up<BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 06:00 AM
carol

we just returned from 2 weeks in spain and we ended our trip by driving from seville to lisbon. i was concerned about the same route; both trains and planes were expensive and very time consuming. so we rented a car from avis and drove. it's a terrific, new highway and the ride took about 7 hrs- from leaving our hotel in seville and returning the car to the lisbon airport. we stopped for about an hour in some small town in portugal for lunch, so if you don't stop, maybe you could drive it in less time.<BR><BR>it was somewhat difficult to find our way out of seville and again to find our way to the lisbon airport, but, overall, it was fine. there were 4 of us, so by splitting the cost of the car, it was reasonable. and, having just taken trains out of barcelona and madrid, it was less of a hassle. no taxis to train stations, unloading and reloading luggage, etc. have fun!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Rex

topping, for Nadine<BR>

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Rex

Topping, for melina...<BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 05:42 AM
Grahame

I have driven this route on excellemt highways and it took a little over 4 hours. There is a new toll highway from the Spanish border to Lisbon which when <BR>I drove it had almost no traffic on it. I was told the Portugeuse did not want to pay the tolls! This was over a year ago in March and may have change but the route is direct and very fast!

Old Oct 12th, 2002, 09:40 AM
Bill

&lt;&lt;new toll highway from the Spanish border to Lisbon&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>connects onward to where - - on the Spanish side?<BR>

Old Dec 14th, 2002, 07:14 PM

topping for shayna<BR>