Search

Travelling abroad with a baby - HELP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travelling abroad with a baby - HELP

Hello:

To anyone who frequently travels with a baby, please share your wisdom...

This discussion group never lets me down

I'm travelling to meet up with my parents in Avignon for their 40th wedding anniversary and they insist I bring their granddaughter. However, I'm really worried that I'll be the parent who brought the baby that made everyone's trip miserable.

I'm flying non-stop from NYC to Paris then then taking the TGV south to Avignon. Both going to and coming back flights are leaving in the evening (around her bedtime). She will be 9 mos. old.

I would be forever grateful to anyone willing to share some tips.

Many thanks in advance,
Chrissy
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:15 AM

There have been quite a few posts about travleing with an infant. I'm sorry that I don't know how to bring them up for you so maybe someone else will. If you want to travel with your baby then take the good advice from the posts and ignor the critical ones. Some babies travel better than others so you'll have to deal with what ever comes up and just handle it. So, much luck and I hope you AND baby have a good trip.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:52 AM
ira

Hi ajl,

Are you traveling alone?

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 11:54 AM

While I mostly agree with crefloors, sometimes It's not a bad idea to at least read the critical posts if you are traveling with an infant, because it will help you be prepared for dealing with others in a nice way, if there should be problems of any kind.

I truly believe that most people will react in a very positive and understanding way to a parent who shows consideration for fellow travelers, and who is willing to communicate in a polite way.
Old Jul 31st, 2005, 12:23 PM
aggiemom

Chrissy - I agree with the other posters to read some of the threads regarding traveling with children - the good and the bad.

In my experience, though I've only traveled cross country NY-LA alone with my one, two and finally all three children, be prepared to do it on your own without much help from flight staff or ground crew.

Now to start off, you must know your child. We have been blessed with kids with great dispositions (even to this day, as teenagers). When our girls were 7 months, 20 months and 3 years, I flew LA to DFW to NY w/o my DH. I thought I made all the right plans and did meticulous follow up and checking the days before flying.

Example: I bought all four of us tickets, got bulkhead seats, had car seats, had food, toys, etc. for them. I arranged to be met at the gate for transfer to our connecting flight. When we landed late, it was going to be a tight fit to make the connection but I figured I'd have help. Ha! I waited for the help. And waited. When I asked where my help was they replied, "Oh, there were too many wheelchair requirements on your flight so there's no one to help you." And that was it.

I was on my own. I imagine people thought I was nuts trying to do this (and in retrospect, I guess I was!) as I had three kids, cars eats, etc. I developed a migraine and the baby was getting hungry. We just made our way little by little, me holding the kids, pushing the car seats with my feet! If I had felt better it really would have been comical. (These were rather necessary trips - my Dad had terminal cancer.)

Anyway, we were the last ones to board and my baby was really wailing by then. The flight attendants gave me no help in setting up carseats or even carrying them on. It was the passengers who came to my rescue.

Once we were airborne I had to take medicine for my head and two wonderful passengers took two of my girls. One fed the baby, the other fed the toddler. My three year old was so glad to have all my attention.

I know this is a long story, but I guess my point is don't count on all your plans working out. Plan for the worst! Since I had to make this trip several times I was always very good about making arrangements for help. Most times, the flight staff let me down. (And yes, I know they are busy and I don't mean to say bad things about flight attendants in general.) I guess I had rotten luck with choosing flights. The flight crew even challenged me before I boarded each time saying, "you can't bring those car seats on" without even checking to see if I had tickets for all of us. As I recall, I had to pay extra for the help that was supposed to be waiting for me at the gate.

But do try to make friends, be pleasant with your prospective passengers. THEY will be most likely to help.

I'm sure you will be fine on your trip. Just be prepared and then be prepared for the worst. And smile at the passengers as you board.

Have a good trip!

Mom

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 12:24 PM

i had to travel ( alone)with my children every year( since they were tweo months old) in order for them to get to know their grandparents. we had three airplanes to catch.. usually a 22 hour trip from spain to usa.

most importantly, besides correctly counting number of diapers/clothes you might need ( in case of upset bowels/or unexpected layover), and Food (extra, too.. just in case).. i think that if you are lucky and can SOOTHE your baby when he/she is distressed NOW, you will not have a problem on the plane.

Piercing screams are usually from air pressure bothering their tender ears, but that can be helped by having baby drink/suck during take off and landing. also, if he uses pacifier.. those are good moments.

I am sure you will be able to handle this , with the help of some new toys not to be seen before the flight, and a good stroller once on the ground.

I can understand your parents want the WHOLE family at this lovely event. i think your enjoyment of having the baby with you is greater than the possible hour or so of crabbiness you might encounter in a dire moment.

of course.. like mentioned.. some kids are just easier than others.
i have to admit, if i had had problems with mine ( they were marvelous travellers) i might not have gone home so frequently!

however, if this is only for a few days.. it seems like a lot of disruption for anyone that age. i assume this is a longer trip than that, or i might not consider it either.

Are you concerned about the flight or also the travelling with your parents in avignon? I am sure everyone realizes that the PACE with a child is totally different.

you can still see things, but there are of course many more necessary stops to make and demands to be met.

Old Jul 31st, 2005, 12:35 PM

Hi Ajl...

This thread may be of help:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34514882

Also, and I have cut and pasted these tips from another post that I thought may be of use.

Author: RSSmith
Date: 01/06/2005, 02:57 pm
Kelti,
Despite my earlier posting, I have taken my child on 6 or 7 trips involving long flights, including one transatlantic flight, from ages 4 months up to now (2 years). (Maybe that's why I need, and am looking forward to, a 2-week trip to Spain and France with husband only!!) My advice:
1- bring a sturdy but lightweight stroller that folds up quickly/easily for the airports
2- if you're renting a car, make sure it comes equipped with a baby seat. If you bring your own seat, be prepared for difficult installation/possible incompatibility with the rental car's seatbelt system
3- put plenty of extra clothes, toys and snacks in your carry-on
4- if possible, fly business class -- the extra room is definitely worth it on long flights, especially if your child likes to be mobile.
5 -if flying coach, buy your baby a ticket (this will be 1/2 price) so he/she can have space to sleep and play
6- bring your own packable crib. The baby will be more comfortable and the cribs provided by hotels are sometimes cheap and unsafe.
7- if your child has special dietary needs, bring plenty of those items with you - there's no guarantee you'll find something comparable overseas
8- bring a well-stocked first aid kit
9- don't try to do too much
10- it IS easier to travel with a baby than a toddler, so enjoy it now!
11- Your baby won't know England from Greece so go where you want.

Happy travels, Tiff

Old Aug 1st, 2005, 07:20 AM

if you don't feel like dragging the crib around, ( since you will be catching a train...!!!)
they are on sale now for about 48 euros most places.( carrefour, large hypermarkets).

then give it to red cross or a local church when you leave or drag it back if your return is easier than the arrival.