Search

travelling with a baby next week HELP

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travelling with a baby next week HELP

Hi all,

Any parents who've just traveled with a baby? I've tried to call (and email) TSA, but no one has gotten back to me and I'll be travelling on tuesday. I'm travelling with my one year old from Newark to Honolulu.

How did you bring your formula on board? I use ready to feed (in cans), but I'm sure cans aren't allowed so I will have to put them in bottles. But RTF formulas are supposed to be refrigerated. They can't be in room temperature for more than an hour. I wanted to bring an insulated bag with an ice pack but I don't think the ice pack is allowed. How did you handle this situation?

Also, I've called Newark airport about this but the person I spoke with just told me to call TSA. My baby has eczema so she needs aquaphor (Petroleum jelly) for her skin and it's an over the counter ointment. I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get a doctor's note and see if they'll accept it?

And finally, this is the first time my baby will be on a plane. ANY advice on how to pacify her and make it as comfortable as possible for her? I'll be carrying her on my lap.

Thanks in advance for all your help and suggestions!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:41 AM

For travel, my DIL buys formula in pre-made bottles that do not have to be refigerated until they're open. Maybe you could get those instead of cans.

I think the aquaphor is going to be a problem. How often do you have to use it? Could you slather her up before the flight and then again after you land, but keep the aquaphor in your checked luggage?

To keep the baby happy on the plance, I'd suggest a combination of old favorite toys, and new ones, brought out one at a time, as she gets bored with each one.

Giving her a bottle at take off and landing may help her with the change in pressure.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Well, formula is allowed so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I agree that the pre-made bottles will be much easier than the cans...what would you do with the extra formula once the can is open? Just bring several extra nipples for the stuff. The bottles do not need to be refrigerated until opened so get a bunch of the small ones so you won't have leftovers to address. Just bring more than you think you will need as who knows how many delays or issues you may have in flight.

In terms of the aquaphor, bring a small container and a MD's note and hope for the best. If they still make you toss it, you won't be out that much money and the baby will be fine anyway as long as you put some on before going through security.

In terms of flight. You would be much, much better off with a separate seat for the baby. That is a LONG flight to have a kid on your lap. However, assuming that it is too late to get another seat, I would simply search "flying with baby" or "flying with infant" on any of the other boards and you will get a tremendous amount of info. This question has been asked a million times in the past and there is a wealth of info out there.

Have a great trip.
Taitai
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM

We're also flying with our baby next week. I'm also concerned about keeping the already-made formula refrigerated. My game plan is to carry 1 bottle made-up for immediate use, possibly ask flight attendents to keep it cool during the flight. I'm also planning to bring the powder formula (the ones in individual sachets), use the in-flight mineral water if I need more bottles.
I'm trying to see if I can take a small nappy cream with me.

As for general travelling tips with a baby, here are a few things I found helpful.
1. We usually do the split boarding--DH going first to "secure overhead bin space", me and the kids the last minute so that the juniors aren't confined too long before the take-off.
2. Giving a bottle or pacifier does help relieve the ear pressure while ascending/descending. I usually wait till after the plane starts taxing or the plane starts descending.
3. Locate which W/C has the changing table. Make sure you have one or two extra nappy than you think you need.
4. Some airlines do provide bassinets, but one-yr old would be too big for this.
5. I presume yours is on solids now. Are you bringing your own baby/toddler foods? My easy-to-carry snacks are bananas, individual apple sauce pack, individual cheese, cucumber sticks and rice cakes. Don't rely on airlines to provide the age-appropriate menu (my 18-mo old was served strained purees!).
Good luck travelling with your little darling--I'm praying you'll get lucky with an empty seat next to you. EWR to HNL is a long flight...
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM

Are you flying CO15 non-stop EWR-HNL? Just you with an infant on lap?

If so, make sure you get a D or F seat if you're in coach. That's the inside aisle on the 767. This way, no one will have to step over the two of you to get out.

Looking at the seat map, this flight on 8/22 is packed. You're unlikely to get an open seat next to you. If you don't have a D or F seat, call CO right now, and I see 41F and 45 DEF still open (45 is last row).
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 09:16 PM

W9London

I don't think that the flight attendants are allowed to put the bottle of formula in their chiller, but they could probably give you a small bag of ice to put it in and keep it at your seat. Can you find an insulated thing to keep it in? That would probably be your best bet. Also, when you need water to make the bottle, make sure and ask for bottled water. Don't ask for mineral water in the States. You'll get water with bubbles.

For the OP, how much formula will you need during the flight? Can you bring on the powdered version of the formula and ask the flight attendants for bottled water to make the bottle?

I hate to tell you this, but your flight is not going to be any fun with a one year old on your lap for that length of time.

Make sure and bring any blanket, pacifier, toy, etc. that soothes her. Does she like books? If so, bring LOTS of them. Make sure and bring more diapers, wipes, changes of clothes on board than you think you'll need. You never know when a delay might happen. Better to have too many than not enough.

Be prepared for an uncomfortable flight for you. I would assume that your 1 yr. old is at least crawling (probably walking) and will not want to sit still. It's going to be tough on you. Walk her around as much as possible, but be mindful of the beverage and meal carts in the aisle. Also, make sure that when the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign is on that you are in your seat with the baby on your lap.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Leave the Aquaphor in your checked bag-as previous person said you will not really be using it during the flight and it would not be worth the hassle with the TSA people.They have been sticklers on stuff like this this past week.I agree with taking the premade bottles as it is so much easier and less hassle when you need one ASAP. Now to a question I know I should not ask-have you thought of possibly leaving the one year old home with grandparents for this trip? This flight is WAY too long for a first time lap child traveler to be doing without knowing how well they travel.Most of the adults I know on my HNL flights can hardly stand the duration of these flights and they have the option of movies,books,eating and walking around.Seriously, I hope that things work out for you but if the flight is full you are going to be miserable.Good luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 10:24 PM

That flight is so full on 8/22 that CO isn't even selling full Y tickets. Only FC seats are for sale.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM

Petroleum jelly is going to be the very least of your concerns on this trip. What are your plans for when you have to eat - tray will not fit down with you and baby. What if you need to use bathroom - what are you going to do with the baby.

Sounds like a nightmare to me - children that age are even more difficult to fly with than little babies - s/he will want to get up and run/crawl around, and this will not be possible obviously.

You will not be allowed to bring ice packs, ice, etc on the plane, nor will FA refrigerate things for you. You will have to use powdered formula since that length of time is way too long for unrefrigerated opened formula. Same with any perishable food you are bringing for baby.

If there is no way to alter your plans, one thing parents never think of bringing is an extra set of clothing for themselves - babies always choose flights to leak from one end or the other onto a parent.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Maybe I've been lucky, but FAs have been very often kind enough to keep the bottle in the ice pack in their galley. I have done intercontinental solo flights (aka without papa) with my baby (sometimes with his older sister), so it IS doable.
Good point about meal trays. I usually skip in-flight meals and bring own "finger foods" (sandwich, wraps etc) mom/baby can share. As for the bathroom, I take my baby with me.
It still amazes me how travelling with a baby brings such kindness from strangers (not that I'm counting on this), though some people avoid us like a plague ;-)
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 03:11 PM

The pre-made bottles my DIL uses do not need refrigeration until opened--and since they're only 4 oz, each bottle is consumed at a single feeding.