travellers cheque

Search

travellers cheque

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
travellers cheque

Hi,<BR> I will be travelling Italy (Rome, Florence, venice). Should I take travellers cheque with me? How easy to get them cashed there? Or should I not bother and just take cash? <BR> Please provide input. Thanks.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Art

If you want take some emergency money in Travellers cheques, but use you ATM and Visa/Master Cards for larger purchases. I have carried the same $100 in travelers checks for the last 5 years and have never needed them. The best exchane rates are normally with your ATM card.<BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:08 AM

Do you have an American Express?.If you do you can cash a check or get a cash advance.<BR>No need for travelers checks anymore as atms(Bancomat)are in all major cities.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:44 AM

In Canada, my debit card (ATM card) uses the &quot;Interac&quot; and &quot;Plus&quot; networks. The ATMs in the UK, France, Italy and Spain should be compatable?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:51 AM

I like having some backup travelers checks for those times when the machine is broken, out of funds, or the credit card has exceeded what's allowed for your daily balance.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:01 AM

If you do take TC's as a backup, you might as well take them in dollars, so you don't lose double exchange fees if they're not used. Or if you take foreign currency, any unused ones can be put towards your final hotel bill.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:43 AM

There are a lot of places in Italy that won't accept traveler's checks. You can always tell your bank that you'll be travelling abroad and to up your withdrawl limit. It is a good idea anyway to let them know you'll be using your card out of the country.<BR><BR>Traveler's checks went out with Brownie cameras.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This combo works for me:<BR>1) US cash ($300-500) change at airport or bank, reserve some of these US funds for return trip expenses<BR>2) ATM card withdrawl for daily expenses<BR>3) Visa charge card only for unexpected expensive hotel or fancy meals<BR>4) Travelers checks for emergencies but plan to cash them at a bank not a business<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Will the folks in Italy be happy to take tips in US dollars, or do I need to get my dollars exchanged for EUROS for that. What about when I am shopping from a small &quot;street&quot; vendor?<BR>Since most of my trip is paid for already, the only expenses I will have is, tips and shopping. I am assuming that most of the restraunts take credit card...
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:14 AM

You're correct, most restaurants take credit cards.<BR><BR>If you were a barber or waitress (someone who relies on tips) in America, and a Japanese tourist came in and tipped you in Yen, how would you feel? What if some Engish gentleman tossed you a couple pounds? Now you know how Italians feel about being tipped in US currency.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:40 PM

akhil, take some travelers checks just in case the ATM system is down. It can happen. I get mine free, since I'm a member of AAA, the national auto club. You might try that.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:21 PM

Exchange some currency to euro before you leave. And then use the ATM's that are located everywhere: great exchange rates and very convenient. Travelers cheques should only be used in emergencies.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:42 PM

Please do not try to tip or pay for things in U.S. dollars. Just as you would not want to receive payment in Euros or British pounds or whatever in the States.... Why should the provider of a product or service have to exchange your payment to local currency?<BR><BR>A street vendor might be willing to accept dollars, but will surely charge you top prices for the convenience to you (which creates a hassle for him.)<BR><BR>I take a few hundred $$ just in case of emergency (I can get it changed to local currency, which to me is still simpler than dealing with travelers' checks.) Otherwise, I use ATMs to obtain cash, pay for most things with credit cards, and thus get the best exchange rates.