Traveling to Paris in November

Jul 6th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

Traveling to Paris in November

We are traveling to Paris the end of November, how is the weather? We have several teenagers with us, what would you recommend we see or do? Where is the most reasonable shopping? We are staying at Husa Calais Montmartre Hotel, can anyone tell me if this is good or if we should try to find another place to stay. Any help would be appreciated.
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:34 PM

November will most likely be brisk and the likelihood of rain is high. Rain is not all that much of a problem in Paris since there is so much to do indoors and the Metro is so good. And it seldom rains constantly. The sun usually breaks through in short order. However, you should plan a flexible trip that, day by day, can take advantage of good weather and has a back up plan for rain.

Montmartre is atmospheric but I would not stay there as a tourist because it would involve a long trek back to the hotel, and possibly climbing hills, after a lond day of touristing. It is harder to pop back into your hotel midday because you are likely to be too far from your hotel when you are sightseeing. Some areas of Montmartre feel and look seedy.

Since you are going in low season, I suggest you look for a hotel in one of the first 7 arrondisements.
Jul 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM

We often go at the end of November and the weather is okay for us -- but we live in the North. You'll probably looking at high 40s to possibly low 50s for afternoon highs; not freezing cold, but it kind of depends on what you're used to.

Montmartre can have a very interesting village feel to it in parts and it has a lot of interesting history. Personally, I would recommend that you visit the area for part of a day, rather than make that your home base in Paris. It's just a little bit too far away from a lot of the things that you will want to see and visit. Montmartre also has some ragged edges and I think you would be more comfortable with teens in a different area, such as the area around the Latin Quarter and St. Germain on the Left Bank. It's classic Paris and you won't mind having the young folks out at night so much there. There are some reasonable hotels around Luxembourg Garden and good shopping in that area, too. Check out Rue de Rennes for a variety of shopping.

Jul 6th, 2006, 07:15 PM

I was in Paris for Thanksgiving last year, and it was very cold! It snowed three of the six days we were there -- not a lot, but it was definitely snowing. Even so, it was one of the best trips ever. Paris is a great city, and even walking around in the freezing cold is fabulous.

I would not stay in Montmartre. There are too many nice and reasonable hotels closer in. I agree with nessundorma. My favorite is the 6th Arrondissement, near Saint0Germain and the Latin Quarter, because it is so charming, there are so many wonderful places to eat, and it is close to everything. I also like the 7th, off Rue de Rennes, for the same reasons.
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:53 AM

November is generally cool (not necessarily chilly) and overcast most of the time, with regular rain.
Jul 7th, 2006, 12:59 AM

Hi

You can check out weather stats for Paris on http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/w...=094170&refer= . But check the weather forecast right before you go in order to know what to expect

I have posted a trip report report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures