Traveling to Italy

Search

Traveling to Italy

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Italy

I will be traveling to Italy this summer.
I have not been on a airplane for many,
many years. I will be traveling with one
of my teen-agers. Is it better to have only
one change. One of the airlines goes from
Northern California to Munich and Munich to
Italy. The other airline travels from Northern California to Atlanta, then from
Atlanta to Paris and Paris to Italy. It seems alot easier to make one change. If anyone has suggestion or ideas to make the
trip easier, please respond. Thank You!
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Without comment on any of the airports in this scenario, it is always better to have fewer stops and therefore less opportunity for things to go wrong, luggage to be lost, etc.

May I ask which airline(s) you're considering?
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Yes, I would say one change is preferable to two. Less chance of delays, missing flights, etc. However, you should also look at the layover times to see how much time totally you would be travelling. If you have a very long time in Munich, it might be better to do the other route.
Old May 18th, 2005, 03:56 PM

Hi alpicella,

Where in Northern Cal are you flying from? I fly from SFO and there are usually many, many more options than either through Munich or Atlanta/Paris...

But in general, I agree with the other posters: the fewer stops the better.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:51 PM

Hi Alpicella, can you fly from SFO (San Francisco) airport? If so I like the KLM flights. You change plans in Amsterdam, and then fly onto Italy. I too think the less stops the better. The Amsterdam airport is IMO very user friendly and one of the nicer airports.
The website for the San Francisco airport is www.flysfo.com. The website for the Amsterdam airport is http://www.schiphol.nl/.

To book with KLM you contact Northwest Airlines. Their website is www.nwa.com. Their phone # for International Reservations is 1-800-477-4747.

Whatever you decide, have a beautiful trip. And I have always found teen-agers love Italy, and know that you will. Best wishes to you.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Hi
as mentioned, see how long the layover times are between flights. One change with a 6 hour layover is much worse to me than two changes each with a one-hour layover. To me, 4 hours is unacceptable (but I have lots of flight choices). Less than a one-hour layover is chancy, because if you have to change terminals to go from one plane to another, you may be cutting it close on time, especially if your arriving flight is delayed even a few minutes.

I hope you can find a flight with perhaps only one short layover. Since you haven't flown in a long time, check with your airline(s) before you book so that you understand all of their security and luggage requirements. There may be retrictions not just on the size of a carry on bag,for example, but on its weight. You need to know that some items are now prohibited in carry on luggage, and some items are prohibited completely.
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:05 AM
ira

t