Traveling to Europe alone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am a female college student traveling alone to London, Paris, and Barcelona for 3 weeks from Mid-May to Early June 2005. I am staying in hostels in each of these cities, but wanted to know if anyone had travelled alone to these places. If so, any suggestions as to how to meet other travellers and fun things to do by myself. I am hoping that the hostels will help me meet people, but I would love to hear other options from people who have experienced these cities first hand. Thanks!
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:56 PM

Being as how this is your first post on Fodor's your question will be greeted with some skepticism because of it's naivete. Some will call it a troll. If you are for real, yes I've been to those cities and I assure you that you'll have no trouble meeting other travelers. For things to do you should enter those city names in the "search this forum" box above, and allot a week or two to read all the suggestions.

Old Feb 26th, 2005, 02:58 PM

My son traveled Europe for a year and stayed in hostels quite often. He made friends wherever he went. Some have kept in touch over the years. There are a few Fodorites, or one that I can think of, who have stayed in hostels. HOpefully they will see this and contribute first hand experience.
Have a wonderful time, Ally ~
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Ally, As a fellow solo traveler I have found a few things that help you connect with other travelers. Try to find day tours or excursions. They don't have to be expensive. Most cities have walking tours or even students who peddle their services as a tour guide. In London check out www.walks.com. For a few euro you can take a walking tour and will meet with other travelers. You will find that you tend to meet more people when you travel alone, than with a companion.

Have fun and stay safe (sorry, I'm a mom )
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your posts Scarlett and Grasshopper. It is good to hear that it is in fact easy to meet fellow travellers. I will also definetely check out the walking tours.... that sounds like a really good option.
Thanks for the search suggestion Hopscotch.... I am indeed "for real" and am trying to do the best I can, despite my naivete, to plan an amazing trip for myself to Europe.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 07:50 PM

try over at thorntree.lonelyplanet.com or www.eurotrip.com/forum for more hostel info/experience.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 06:09 AM
jay

Ally, you wont have any problem at all. You will meet people along the way. My daughter goes to school in London and is leaving on a similar trip and I am not worried at all. If you want I can give you her email and you can connect. She is a very experienced traveller.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:19 AM

Traveling alone in London and Paris, I met people by doing short tours. London Walks one day excursions & London Bicycle Tours in London.

The evening bicyle tour of downtown Paris was the highlight of my time in Paris. If I go to Paris again, I will do another tour with them. Mike's Bike Tours has changed its name to Fat Tire Bike Tours, their website is http://www.fattirebiketoursparis.com/

Keith
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:32 AM

When I first started traveling to countries for which I didn't know the language, I was given the following advice: Find an Irish pub, someone will always speak English, you can get your bearings, and then go from there. It's worked for me. Almost too well, as my friends have noticed - I sometimes don't get past them!