Italy- tour or solo

Nov 15th, 2002, 05:20 PM
cwill

Italy- tour or solo

tour prices to Italy seem expensive when single supp. is added on; If I just go on my own to Rome Florence and Venice how easy would it be to travel around? What city would it be best to start in- I live in los angeles. Is it safe for a woman alone?
thanks for your help

Nov 15th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Sandra

Do you really want to go alone? the cities you mention are so beautiful and exciting, and it would be a shame not to have someone to share the experience with, even if it is a new friend you just met on the tour. And you DO meet some of the nicest people! I don't think that any of those cities are particularly dangerous for a woman alone. I just think you'd have a much better time on a tour. For what it's worth . . . .

Nov 15th, 2002, 06:55 PM
Grasshopper

The travel part will be a snap. I've travelled alone quite a lot and find I actually meet more people when I'm alone.

An alternative is to plan for day tours in different cities. For example, in Venice you can take walking tours or a day trip to Siena with CAF Tours. Walking tours are everywhere and you meet people on those.

Nov 15th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Deb

I disagree with Sandra about traveling alone. I loved those cities,as well as many others, by myself. I enjoy being on my own schedule and if I am tired of museums I can just walk and enjoy people watching. you get to do exactly what you want. If you haven't traveled alone before type in the word "solo" into the search function and you will find numerous posts about the joy of doing it on your own. Who wants someone to tell them where to go and when to do it as tour would? No thanks. Not to mention that most tours are older people, I don't know your age but I am guessing you are not 60 years old.
I am much more outgoing when traveling alone so I meet more people, whether that is asking about their travels or asking for help with trains. You will meet people if you make the effort. Europe is extremely safe so I would not worry about that. You also get the pleasure of planning it yourself and choosing your own hotels-more fun than the trip itself!!

Nov 15th, 2002, 07:47 PM
Michelle

Check out Rick Steves' tours. They don't charge a single supplement and they require that you can keep up with all the walking.

Nov 16th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Toula Fan

Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/travelcheap2000

or

www.travel-board.com

Nov 16th, 2002, 08:41 AM
Anne

cwill, I was in your shoes a few months ago--a single woman who'd wanted to go to Italy for years but was hesitant to do it alone (although I usually travel solo, for some reason I was reluctant to do that in Italy). So I signed up for a tour of Tuscany with Overseas Adventure Travel (OAT), and it was fantastic! They never have more than 16 people on a trip, so the group can get around easily and you don't feel like you're part of a herd. If you're travelling alone, you can indicate that you're willing to accept a roommate of the same sex, but if no one else wants a roommate, you get a single room without the single supplement (this happened to me). Some other tour operators have the same policy--check around.

It's true, as Deb says, that most tour group members are on the older side (I'm 48, and was the baby of the group by 9 years), but it's people who count, not ages, and I found the 15 others on my trip to be utterly delightful folks whom it was a pleasure to travel with. And there was plenty of free time if we wanted to be on our own for a while. The tour leader and driver were both outstanding, they went out of their way to help us, and as Tuscan natives they were savvy to things that others wouldn't know.

This was a good way of seeing all the small towns that would be hard to get to without a car (and even then, you'd probably get lost), but if you want to stick to the cities that you mentioned, this wouldn't be a factor for you. You can easily do them on your own. It's just a question of how you prefer to travel. Both kinds of travel have their pluses and minuses; it's up to you.

After this trip, I now feel confident about traveling solo in Italy, but I'm not sure if I'd have as much fun as I did on my first trip.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time in Italy!

Nov 16th, 2002, 09:49 AM
silvana

it really depends on if you like travelling alone or not. if you do, then i say GO FOR IT!
it is very easy to get around and as previous posters mentioned, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.
man, that sounds great.
(thinking about doing it myself!)
the train system is great and you are sure to meet people in your hotel or on the train or wherever. you can find a hotel to suit your budget.. depending on your standards, you can find a "cheap" one i am sure. even the most "budget" hotels are extremely safe. there is so much to see and do.. you will have a great time.
take a journal.. make a scrapbook.. have fun!
it will be time to yourself, for yourself and it will be wonderful!

Nov 16th, 2002, 07:42 PM
up pup

pup it up