traveling to Austria & Bavaria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are first time travelers and will be traveling to Austria and Bavaria for two weeks in May. We know that we will be flying into and out of Vienna as we have a relative that lives there but otherwise have no real plans. Any advice on definate hits or misses in Austria or Bavaria for a two week time-frame?
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RSVP-
First time, or repeat?
Preferences (yes/no to following):
Castles, cathedrals, urban vs. rural, mountains/scenery vs culture, quaint vs modern, other interests (art, history, interaction with other Yanks vs with local people)
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 10:07 AM

To get started use the SEARCH box here (type in AUSTRIA or BAVARIA) and you'll find many answers to your questions, plus much more!
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

first time as in never travelled outside of the USA before.
Yes to: castles, rural, mountains/scenery, quaint, history, beer (for my hubby), chocolate (for me), some art but would probably enjoy statues and fountains more than inside museums
Not really to: urban, modern, classical music, cathedrals
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:03 AM

First thing, go out right now and buy a good travel book on Germany and Austria so you can read up on the places you will visit.

Allow at least 4 or more days for Vienna as there is much to see (Schoenbrunn Palace, Hofburg Palace, Stadtpark, St. Stephan's Cathedral and the pedestrian area along Kaertnerstrasse and the Graben.) Also plan to have lunch or dinner at a heuriger in the wine growing area of Grinzing. Just take the tram or Ubahn to Schottentor Station and pick up Tram #38 to Grinzing.

From Vienna, you can drive to the Wachau Valley on the Danube River to Durnstein, Krems and Melk, perhaps overnighting in Melk.

You can then spend 4 or 5 days in Munich and the surrounding area visiting the King Ludwig castles, then go over to Berchtesgaden for a few days to see the Eagle's Nest, Konigsee and the beautiful German Alps.

You can then return to Vienna via Salzburg for a day or two before heading home.

A search on Fodor's for all of the above mentioned cities will turn up lots of detailed information on places to stay, etc.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 11:30 AM

Vienna
Hallstadt
Malthausen (Nazi labor camp)
then on to Bavaria
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Should we try to rent a car or use the rail system? I've heard the trains have very quick stops (5 minutes) and am wondering about my luggage traveling on without me if we are not fast enough...
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Re: rail or car- how many in your party? This is only one of the considerations. Itinerary is also a deciding factor.

You will be carrying your (hopefully small) luggage yourself on the train, so it won't go on without you.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 11:15 AM

I would recommend ranting a car when yu leave Vienna and driving through Austria and Bavaria ending in Munich. Drop the care there and after yu stay take train back to Vienna. You can see much more in the countryside with your own wheels - on you own schedule - and with the oppotunity to explore any cute little town that takes your fancy. Renting a small car is not very expensive in comparison to multiple train tickets for 2 considering the additional freedom it gives.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Ditto to bettyk's itinerary. If possible, rent a car rather than use the train. You'll see much more and the driving is easy (just stay out of the "fast lane" on the motorways!)
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Check out the bavaria pass for trains in bavaria, you might be better off with trains