Traveling in Italy

Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Traveling in Italy

We are a family of five (three children, ages 14, 12 and 9) and will be in Italy for one week in July. We are staying in Florence, Rome and Venice, and are trying to choose between Assissi and Orvieto for one night. Could you recommend which of those two towns would be preferable? Thank you.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:16 AM

Read up on both and see which interest you.

Also, your mode of transportation might influence your choice. Car or train, etc.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi G,

>will be in Italy for one week in July. We are staying in Florence, Rome and Venice,

Are you sure? That's quite a bit of moving around for only 1 week.

Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

With three destinations in one week, you are already stretching the amount of time necessary to see each city. Checking in and out of hotels, especially with three children, is time consuming. Do you really need to add another overnight stop? If you are driving, it is easy to stop in either Assisi or Orvieto on your way to/from Florence/Rome and continue on your way.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:16 AM

I also think 4 cities in 7 days is too fast a pace to be enjoyable.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM

If you do all those cities in only 7 days you will spend the bulk of your time checking in and out of hotels, finding your way to and from train stations, sitting on trains, watching generic countryside roll by - and see ot much of anything.

In 7 days do 2 cities - no more - even then you're giving them short shrift.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 04:27 PM

Oh my gosh - in a week you only have time for one or two cities at most! Especially with 5 of you to move around!

I'd recommend you spend the whole week in Rome. You still won't have seen enough.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

Sorry but I wholeheartedly agree that you are trying to do way too much for one week. I'd choose no more than 2 places. Florence and Venice would be my recommendation. Your kids would find plenty to see and do. If not that...I'd recommend spending the whole week in Rome.
Jun 23rd, 2007, 07:08 PM

Here's one more recommendation that you don't even think about Assisi or Orvieto. You barely have enough time for the other three. I agree, I would choose two of them. It's going to be very hot, and with five people to move around, all you're going to remember is checking in and out of hotels and train stations.