Travel without a visa for an American?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's a newbie question! (Since, despite being on this board, I actually, hardly <i>ever</i> travel) I was planning (sometime next year) to go to London, to meet up with some friends. I had a girlfriend a long time ago, who mentioned that with a US passport, you can pretty much travel through most of Europe without a visa. Of course, that was before 9/11/2001. I guess my question is: Is that still true? If I were to go to London, would I need a visa to go there? (I have an American passport (and am an American citizen))

Thanks!
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

No visa required for London, or any of the major western European countries.

although a VISA credit card might be a good idea. LOL
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 09:46 AM

It would be worth double-checking with the embassy of each of the countries you plan to visit, though.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:09 AM

We only had to get a visa for Russia. No where else in Europe that I know.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:17 AM
J62

Also,
Travel between countries in the Schengen zone (Austria Belgium Denmark Finland France Germany Greece Iceland Italy Luxembourg Netherlands Norway Portugal Spain Sweden) does not require any passport check as you cross borders - similar to traveling around the US.

www.eurovisa.info/SchengenCountries.htm
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:23 AM

PatrickLondon, I guess it wouldn't hurt to check with embassies like France and Italy, but there is absolutely NO reason to do so. In fact it makes about as much sense as calling to make sure the Eiffel Tower is still standing. If Americans suddenly need visas to enter Western European countries, we will certainly be well informed of that!
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:50 AM

While it's true that US citizens don't need a visa obtained in advance to enter almost all European countries (with the exception of some Eastern European countries like Ukraine and Russia), they are still bound by immigration law applicable in each country or a group of countries (like Schengen states). You can stay up to 90 out of 180 days in the whole of Schengen (not each country within the area), and up to 6 months in UK or Ireland. Other countries, e.g. Switzerland, Poland, Czech Rep etc, normally allow you to stay for 3 months/90days. You will of course need a visa if your purpose of stay is other than a visit or tourism - such as study, work, retirement or long-term residence.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:55 PM

Bozo, you have been on these boards now and then since 2003..not such a newbie anymore!
Just agreeing with the Visa info, that you only need it when you are staying for months, not on a week or two vacation.
Beware though, Heathrow might have that scatter xray too LOL