Search

Travel to Munich, Germany, Austria and Switzerland in May for 12 days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel to Munich, Germany, Austria and Switzerland in May for 12 days

Dear Experiencd travellers,
Our family (three boys 9,6,6) is planning a 12 day trip around Munich in mid May. We are flying from US to India and taking a stopover in Munich. We have never been to Europe and I enjoyed reading some of the wonderful trip reports. We are interested in all sorts of stuff -- natural beauty, museums, music, castles, history (though I do not want to expose the boys to NAZI stuff yet --- they know a bit though and aware of WWI and WWII). We are also mainly vegetarians. Where should we go and how can we utilize our time best while we are in Germany or Austria or Switz.? I saw many posts boasting B.O area by interlaken in switzerland -- so I am tempted to go there and to Salzburg, Austria -- too many places to see and too less time ..we want to get a understanding of beauty and culture of the countries -- somewhat learning experience for the kids. Any advice is welcome. Anyone knows where to stay with family -- it seems in Europe they charge per person for the room and can not have more than 3 people in a room.
Thanks in advance
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:44 AM

There are tons of family oriented offers, but they might not be easy to find via the normal hotel websites which are often oriented to business travellers.

For Germany, bet go for the websites of the tourist boards. Google for the state (as Bayern or Bavaria) plus Fremdenverkehr or tourist Info. If they haven't got a special part for family travel, best write to them and ask for info.

You're right, much to see in little time. If you're budget oriented, prices in Switzerland are really high, so if you want to skip some places, staying in Germany and Austria might come cheaper.

A few things which might interest you:

Munich: There is the Deutsche Museum, for science and history. It's huge and there are many things going on for children plus really special things as the probably first car ever built.
Neuschwanstein: fairy tail castle
Nuremberg: there is the Germanische Nationalmuseum which has a huge exhibition about old German history. The castle in Nuremberg is, other than Neuschwanstein, the real thing, i.e. a fortress. Nuremberg has also built up the old town wall again, so it's something I'd have enjoyed as a child.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM
ira

Hi Trav,

Munich is worth 3-4 nights.

Will you rent a car?

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 02:19 PM

One of my first trips to Europe was more or less what you are describing. It's a lovely way to be introduced to the countries you are planning to visit. I'll dig up my old itinerary if you are interested.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Oh Please, can you dig your itenerary Wayne? Should I rent a car Ira? I am thinking now -- since Tulips festival is going on in Amsterdaam -- to go to Amsterdaam by train for few days and then see Germany and possibly Salzburg and Vienna. Is that better -- doable? I can use all the help. When I go to dbbahn site -- the train site .. there is no where a contact number - somehow I found a number to call and the person on the other end did not speak English. How can I find a cheap fare between Munich and Amsterdaam .. if I should do that -- I love flowers ..
Thanks everyone
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Hans, on your tip, I am thinking I should ditch Switzerland .. if you know, can you give me some tips on whether I should go to see Tulips (it is late in season as they are open till May 21st only) and if I should -- how can I find the best/cheapest mode of travel for our family? Thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 02:17 AM

Going from Munich to Amsterdam by train takes about seven and a half hours and costs for your family of five about 300 Euro one-way. Flying might be cheaper and certainly faster, but I think that you'd really need to love flowers to fit this into your schedule. You'll basically lose two days travelling and I wouldn't do that if I had only 12 days in total.

If you like flowers, Mainau would be much closer. It's an island in the Lake Constance which is marketed as "flower island". I haven't been there but from all I know the gardens are pretty spectacular. You might take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainau
Old Mar 11th, 2009, 07:47 AM
ira

HI trav,

You must focus on what is doable from Munich, not what is possible.

You only have 11 nights.

Plan on 3-4 in Munich. That gives you 7 nights:

Salzburg (2 nights), the Salzkammergut (3 nights), and 2 nights in Fuessen (Neuschwanstein and Linderhof) would make a nice visit.

A drive down to the Bodensee (Lake Constance) and back can take up your whole week. As Hans noted, Mainau will have lots of flowers.

These are just 2 possibilities.

Enjoy your planning.

Old Mar 12th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Original Poster

ok .. I was trying to figure out what I should do in the limited time. No Amsterdam anymore.
Here are my possible itineraries:
1. Arrive at Munich on 15th May, Friday - around noon
2. Drive an hour or two -- to Austria side and stay at Prien am Chiemsee or Salzburg area for 3 nights. Spend 15th, 16th and 17th night there.
3. Drive an hour to Hallstatt for 2 nights i.e. 18th and 19th.
4. Drive on 20th for 1/2 a day and arrive in Fussen area.
5. Stay in Fussen on 20th and 21st.
6. Leave Fussen on 22nd for Lake Constance area to see Lindau and Mainau. Stay there for 2 nights.
7. Leave Lake Constance area on 22nd and back to Munich sometime.
8. See Munich from 23rd on
Our flight leaves Munich airport in the night at 8 PM so we will have some part of the day for sightseeing.

Can you please help me fine tune this? Is this enough time (it is never enough -- I can spend may be a month in every place .. but just to see major spots)? Should I cut some place from my route? Or do I need to add another night anywhere?

At least now I have an idea -- where I am going so I need to look into what I need to see and where to stay and all the other stuff -- once the route has been decided.

Thank you so much Wayne, Ira and Hans for guiding me in the right direction. Any budget places that you know to stay in these areas?

I am planning to rent a car for the time we are going out of Munich and then while in Munich, we can use trains .. any thoughts??
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 03:13 AM
ira

Hi trav,

Stop at Herrenchiemsee on your way to Salzburg.

I think that the kids will like a visit to
http://www.hellbrunn.at/hellbrunn/en...tart/index.asp

Get the Salzburg Card. You get a free boat ride to Hellbrunn and a free bus ride back.

Stop at Linderhof Castle on your way to Fuessen.
No, you won't get tired of Ludwig's castles. They are very different.

We very much enjoyed our stay in Salzburg at www.ammoos.at/main.php?language=en&m=home)

In Hallstatt, I can recommend http://www.gasthof-simony.at/

In Fuessen, we liked http://www.hotel-hechten.com/

In Lindau, we will be making our third visit to
www.hotel-schreier.de/wpde/en/hotel/

Tickets for Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau are at http://www.hohenschwangau.de/548.0.html

You might find my trip report helpful:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Enjoy your visit.

I'm pleased that you have dropped Amsterdam for this trip.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ira. Is Salzkammergut is closer to Halsstatt? I am not familiar with the area or name. I am looking at all your suggestions .. if they are very expensive for our family, then I might search for other Hotels/Bed and breakfasts ..

In Fussen people also suggested a B&B Gastehaus Weiher Bed & Breakfast, though I am not able to search it and find the email or phone for it. It seems decent and less expensive.
Is Hellbrun a theme park sort of place or gardens?

Thanks a lot
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 08:49 AM

Hallstatt is in the heart of the Salzkammergut and it can be easily reached from Salzburg. The beautiful Berchtesgaden area is also nearby and should definitely be included.

On your way to Füssen, make a stop at lovely Mittenwald.

Should you get to Lake Constance, include Meersburg.
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 09:26 AM

Oooh, Tuck has told you about all of our favorite places!

In Berchtesgaden, we stayed at the Hotel Wittelsbach right in the heart of the town. We had a small suite for 84E. Nice rooms, great breakfast and they have an elevator!!

http://www.hotel-wittelsbach.com/prices.htm