Scenic Germany, Switzerland, Austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My roommate is attending a wedding in Germany in mid-May. I had the idea of tagging along and making it a longer Germany, Austria and Switzerland trip. Rather than doing a lot of last minute research, I thought I'd ask the forum what are the top scenic things do see/do in these three countries. I am primary interested in the outdoors. (Mountains, lakes, scenic drives, maybe an old castle or two). Short Biking/hiking excursions are also options as long as long as it isn't too far out of the way. We'll probably have a max of 10 days for our vacation. Our trip will start in Nurnberg, Germany.

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Hi katolb90,

I've been travelling in Switzerland a lot in the past 12 years and can tell you that almost the entire country will give you scenery, outdoors activities, etc.

But it's quite a ways from Nuernberg -- you may want to stick to only one or two countries (Germany or Germany & Austria). Going down the Romantic Road, then exploring Bavaria and then the Austrian Tirol will give you plenty for 10 days.

Good luck!

s
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Get the Michelin Green Guides which will also offer you itineraries at the beginning of the guide according to the number of days you have to travel.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 10:29 AM

Here is howI would do it. From Nurmberg I would get a car and go to Rothenburg for a night then head for the alps. Whether you take the autobahn or the Romantic Road you might head for Fussen to see Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau.

Then go the little roads toward Garmish. Highlight will include Wiessekirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof, Ettal monastery, Garmish (zugspitze) Mittenwald (violin makers village) Bertschesgaden then on to Salzburg.

Spend time in the Salzburg and the area around there (Salzkammergut). Go back up the road to Munich with a stop at Herren Chiemsee (Ludwig's copy of Versille). Spend a day or two in Munich and fly home out of there.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Okay, AisleSeat I don't know what any of those things are that you mentioned. I don't want to see too many old churches etc. Maybe just a castle or two in the countryside. Mainly interested in mountains, lakes, waterfalls maybe a boat trip.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Garmisch-Partenkirchen offers beautiful mountains and wonderful hiking, although the higher areas may not be open in mid-May. The two gorge hikes should be fine (Google Partnachklamm and Hollentalklamm for photos---these are both amazing gorge hikes).

For lakes with cycling, etc., maybe Lake Constanz?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 12:26 PM

See the Alps. I personally think the Swiss Alps in either Valais or the Bernese Oberland are the most exciting, but any of the Alps in Austria, Italy, or Switzerland are great.

With all due respect to the Rockies, the Alps are the most beautiful mountains in the world!!
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:12 PM

<i>&quot;Okay, AisleSeat I don't know what any of those things are that you mentioned. I don't want to see too many old churches etc. Maybe just a castle or two in the countryside.&quot;</i>

I think you should research some of the places that AisleSeat suggested, which included <b>three</b> castles/palaces. I'll give you a hint... Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau and Herren Chiemsee.

Peace, Robyn &gt;-
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM

katolb90, I have not been on it but I have heard great things about a wonderful boat trip near Bertschesgaden, I think it is Koenigsee.

Here is a little description of the things I mentioned. Neuschwanstein (Ludwig's fairy tale castle) Hohenschwangau (next hill over, ludwig's boyhood home, Wiessekirche (beautiful rococo church), Oberammergau (woodcarver's village where every 10 years they do the passion play), Linderhof (another Ludwig castle/palace) Ettal Monastary (pretty roadside stop with monastary, sdchool, church), Garmish (larger alpine town where they have had the winter olympics a couple of times (cable car up the Zugspitze, Germany's tallest alp), Mittenwald (village that features violin and cello makers and woodcarvers), Bertschesgaden (beautiful village that is close to Eagle's Nest, Hitler's mountain-top hide away), Salzburg (beautiful town where Mozart was born and where they shot The Sound of Music, great castle abose the city, Herren Chiemsee (Ludwigs castle on an island in a lake, copy of Versaille). Hope this helps. There are lots of mountains in between these places, after all it is the Alps. Some lakes and maybe even a waterfall or two.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 02:26 PM

It is the Koenigsee - take the boat ride to the END of the lake, not the short one to the monastery. You can get off and see the monastery anyway but the ride to the far reaches is special.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 08:19 PM

I hope you are planning to have a car to get around in. So much easier to see out-of-the-way sights (and there are many).

May I suggest that you head south from Nurnberg to Salzburg for a couple of days. You might drive out to Hallstatt for lunch or dinner. Lovely Alpine lake.

Leaving Salzburg, drive to Berchtesgaden and take the tour up to Hitler's Eagle Nest. Afterwards do the boat ride on the Konigsee. Spend the night in Berchtesgaden or drive on to Hall, just outside of Innsbruck.

A couple of hours in Innsbruck, and on to Mittenwald, colorful Bavarian village famous for its violin-makers. Spend a couple of nights in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Drive out to the Zugspitz, Germany's tallest Alp. See the 1936 Winter Olympics staadium and ski jump.

Head west to King Ludwig's castles, Linderhof and Neuschwanstein. Headquarter in Fussen or Reutte for two days. There is a cheap glider ride in Hofen, just across the river from Reutte. Also a couple of luge rides (dry) outside of Reutte.

Then hit the autobahn north to Rothenburg. Stay there or go on to Bamberg for the rest of your stay. I assume you are traveling in and out of Nurnberg.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Anyone else?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

I'm working hard to keep this post at the top. At least for a few days anyway. My goal is to get several ideas, then look them up and decide which ones sound the best. Any more scenic suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 06:28 AM

With the danger of sounding as if I'm promoting my own (though private) homepage, I have visited all three countries and have two of them up on a travel report from 2004 which I recently put up. The address is http://www.terjenet.com - navigate to Portfolio and find the Germany/Austria 2004 trip, here you will find castles, mountains and a lot of scenery. In addition, we planned to visit the Krimmler waterfall in Austria which is somewhat west of Zell am See, but found we didn't have time for it. If any, I think these are among the most spectacular down there (and I am rather spoiled from my home country).
I was in Switzerland last summer, but haven't come as far as putting up a travelogue from it, although it will come. What I would recommend however is to drop by the Berner Oberland, as already suggested. It is relatively easy to reach and has spectacular scenery - if you've ever watched the downhill race in january from Wengen then you've seen the mountains. There are lots of hiking possibilities here also. I have stayed in Grindelwald which is an excellent location, both scenery wise and to use as a base to explore the nearby area and mountains. Plus, Bern is only 75 km away and the old town is worth a visit.

Good luck
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM

It seems like you have been given lots of appropriate suggestions. I'm afraid your ungracious response to AisleSeat may have discouraged others from responding with more.

What additional suggestions are you looking for?
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 01:44 PM

You might want to look at a few guide books to see what appeals to you.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

To Nora_S, I don't understand how my response to AisleSeat was ungracious? I was just trying to be factual. I don't know what any of those things are. Thats a fact. Its not that I don't care. I just don't know. And I told him 'Okay I don't know what any of those things are'. I've never been to Europe, I don't know German, and I'm horrible at history. My statement to him was actually an admittance to my own ignorance. That's the problem with email. Tones are often interpreted that aren't even there.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:22 AM

Yes, it is easy to send a message you don't mean through online posting. My reading of your response was &quot;I don't know what any of those things are that you mentioned. I don't want to see...&quot;, implying that even though you didn't know what these places were, they didn't suit your preferences. Everyone here is very helpful and it sounded like you were dismissing a detailed, thoughtful list of suggestions.

My suggestion is that you consider also what the weather may be like in mid-May. We have been up in the Berner Oberland hiking in snow (on the ground and falling) in late May/early June one day followed by bright sunshine the next. I've also be up on top of the Zugspitze in June freezing my tail off in jeans and heavy winter sweater.

You are being given basically 3 general areas to choose from, all very scenic--southern Germany around Garmish (that town and area to me is right out of a storybook with the half timbered houses, cows wearing bells, and the mountains), the Salzburg Austria area with a lake and the mountains from the Sound of Music, and the Bernese Oberland valley in Switzerland with waterfalls, hikes, lakes, and the Eiger and Jungfrau. All suit your request. I think you've got 3 destinations for you to do your personal research on to settle on drive/train, travel time, number of days in each location, etc. Then these more Alps-experienced folks than I will even give you suggestions for specific hotels and other tips.

Which reminds me--some of the hotels in the mountains near Interlochen, Switzerland close between the ski season and the summer season. Again, something to check on when you have specific destinations in mind.
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:26 AM

<i>&quot;I'm working hard to keep this post at the top. At least for a few days anyway. My goal is to get several ideas, <b>then look them up and decide which ones sound the best</b>. Any more scenic suggestions would be appreciated.&quot;</i>

I think you need to start looking up some of the suggestions that were given to you, then come back and post another thread with a more specific question.

You will find so many kind people here at fodors.com willing to help you with your travel plans, but there are only so many things to see in the Germany, Switzerland, Austria triangle in a 10 day period, and you now know the names of the highlights.

Take some time to research these suggestions, figure out what you want to see, then come back here and we'll help you figure out your route and accomodations. Robyn &gt;-
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM

katolb90,

I'm going to suggest a place for you to stay that is in Reutte, Austria, close to the famous Neuschwanstein castle in Bavaria. Even if you don't wish to visit the castles, the area is very scenic, and there are some nice hikes. They speak English at this place, and cam make some nice suggestions on what to see in the area.

http://www.schluxen.com/eng/index.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -