Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Please help me plan a trip for 4 to Germany, Switzerland and Austria in June 2008

Please help me plan a trip for 4 to Germany, Switzerland and Austria in June 2008

Sep 4th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I are in the pre-planning stages for a two week trip to Germany, Switzerland and Austria in early June 2008. It's a family vacation for our 12 year old son, my hubby, myself and perhaps, my mother in law if we can talk her into another overseas flight again.

We're an active family. Our priorities will be hiking, sightseeing and eating. Looking for advice on where you'd go and what you'd avoid.

I'd like to avoid renting a car, but my hubby wants to rent a car for day trips. I would prefer train and bus travel.

Any tips would be appreciated. My husband and I were stationed in Germany in the late 80s, but we've never travelled to more than one country at a time.

Munich and Bavaria tops where we want to go in Germany. Switzerland and Austria, I've only passed thru on bus trips before.

We had to stay in three cities and take trips from there.

Sep 4th, 2007, 04:58 PM

I'd fly in and out of Munich, rent a car for exactly 14 days (for the best rate), coordinating the timing with your arrival and departure.

I'd spend a week in a ferienwohnung near Berchtesgaden and a similar arrangement in the Salzkammergut. Take hikes, swims and daytrips from each. Salzburg is nearby from each.

Switzerland is a bit distant - maybe put that off for another day. Is downtown Munich a part of your agenda?
Sep 4th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

TuckH thanks for the response. Unsure whether downtown Munich is on the agenda or not. When my MIL thinks of Germany, she thinks of Munich as she's never been to Germany. We took her to the Netherlands 3-4 years ago.

Sep 4th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Where are you flying out of? I'd rent the car and day trip from a couple areas. As said previously drop Switzerland for this trip.
St Johann in Tirol for hiking: http://www.ferienregion.at/en/hiking.html. You can day trip to the Grossglockner from there also.
Garmisch-Partenkirchen to day trip to the castles and to Munich. You can find a number of maps here: http://www.thirdmansystems.com/vacation/maps/maps.htm
You can take the train from G-P into Munich using the Bayern Pass for up to 5 people.
Berchtesgaden and day trip from there.http://www.berchtesgaden.de/en/startseite.html
What would I avoid? Trying to see or do too much. Eating all my meals sitting down. We like roadside picnics and Frühstück at the local Bäckerei. Avoid traveling on major roads near a city anywhere on Friday evenings after 3 PM. Avoid having to try to get a room after 5 pm.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:36 PM

One area if Austria that is overlooked is the Ötztal which is west and then south of Innsbruck.

We rented an apartment there and explored the area by car from the Timmeljoch to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Around Solden there is hiking as well as Obergürgel.

It was in those eastern Alps that Ötzi the legendary Iceman was found a few years ago.

The apartment we rented was for a week and it is called Haus Michael. It is located in Langenfeld a few miles "in valley" from the autobahn.

Another area you might like is around Heiligenblut. The Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse is near there as is the Hohe Tauren National Park. The town itself is picturesque, but small.

I will say this about a car: For exploring the smaller areas, you can travel more efficiently.

My first choice for a hiking type of experience, however, would be Switzerland, particularly the Berner Oberland. Much has been said on that subject already. There are miles of hiking trails in the region between Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald that are suitable for all levels of endeavor.
Sep 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Wonderful ideas. We'll be flying out of Denver. I'm considering flying my MIL out here earlier so that we can all fly together. We met her in Philadelphia the last time around, but it was hard on our son.

Sep 5th, 2007, 03:11 AM

We based in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and drove through the Ötztal area, including the Timmeljoch. We were quite amazed at the number of folks riding their bikes up the mountain pass. Its a beautiful area and would give it a vote also. And you could drop down into Italy from there.
Sep 5th, 2007, 03:22 AM

Just keep in mind that Europe's huge soccer championships will be played during this time.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=35060433
Sep 5th, 2007, 05:25 AM

> Its a beautiful area [Ötztal] and would give it a vote also. And you could drop down into Italy from there. <

Yes indeed - and especially the Passeiertal in Italy which culminates in the lovely town of Vipiteno.
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:04 AM

"Passeiertal in Italy"
I highly agree. Was able to drive that also.
http://www.alpineroads.com/tyrol.php#timmelsj is a neat site for the passes.