Travel to Cinque Terre and Viareggio - from Pisa Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a group of five women (Cinque Donne) going to Cinque Terre from Pisa Airport - some questions -
1. Do we/should we get our train tickets before we arrive in Italy?? We are traveling from 9/14-9/24/09 - soon!
2. Is there a direct train from Riomaggiore to Viareggio?
3. Is there a direct train/bus from Viareggio to Lucca?
4. Is it helpful to have some Euros with us before we get to the Cinque Terre - and how easy is it to exchange money in that region?
5. If you have any helpful suggestions for trave/sights/events - that would be great

Grazie!
Kathleen
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM

1. I always buy my tickets in Italy as I go. Is isn't very far from Pisa airport to any of the places you mention. You will probably have to change at Pisa Centrale.
2. Yes. Look on the deutsche bahn site for train timetables
3. Yes. Look for the VAI buses. 2 months ago the train line between Viareggio and Lucca was replaced by a bus service. The train tickets are valid. You have to ask in the station about times but they are roughly the same as the train would be.
4. Yes. You just use the ATM in the usual way.
5. Pisa is worth a visit. Stroll through the town as well as doing the Campo Santo.
Lucca is a delight.
We went to the Puccini Opera Festival in Torre de Lago. Don't know if it's still on.
Florence and Genoa at either end of your journey are good for sights if you have the time....both very easy by train.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM

You need to use the trenitalia website to answer these questions closer to your departure because there was recently an explosion on the train tracks in Viareggio which affected routes -- some of which may or not be under repair during your time frame, or back in service.

I am not sure that there are ATMs in all le Cinque Terre towns. There may be, I don't know. Maybe tourist flows have made it necessary. I would not expect it to be easy to exchange dollars in le Cinque Terre (I live in Liguria and I've never even tried it! I use ATMs). I expect there are banks in some of the towns and that they keep unpredictable hours (often mornings only). Nobody is going to steal your money, so I would get yourselves 300e apiece in the Pisa Airport and top up as needed if you see an ATM in your Cinque Terre town. You should each be carrying credit cards, which will be accepted many places.

Where to go? There are small towns on the train line near Lucca and Pisa that tourists never go to (Pistoia pops to mind) that are filled with charm, good food and authentic Italian life. Likewise, up the train line from Cinque Terre toward Genova, the town of Chiavari makes a great rainy day destination, and actually it's great any time. Make sure you walk away from the sea, into the heart of the Renaissance part of Chiavari. If you get in the mood, you might take a flier on one. Also, their are hotsprings and thermal baths and spas nearby, accessible by train, near Lucca.

I think gertie was referring to the Campo dei Miracoli in Pisa (the Camposanto is one small part of it) but she is on the money in suggesting to enjoy other parts of town. In particular, quite near the train station, is the Borgo Stretto, an arcaded street with good pastry shops and chocolate.

Have a great trip.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 12:26 PM

By the way, a very good investment for your group would be one copy of David Downie's guide to the Food and Wine of the Italian Riviera which has extensive listings for authentic, inexpensive food to be found in le Cinque Terre and nearby towns, plus extensive information about the economic underpinning of the towns, their reason for existing at all -- the wine, the oil and the fishing.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info - I actually got that book a while ago - and now I am reading it! We appreciate your advice - any other hints would be most welcome!
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM

If you plan to take a boat from Riomaggiore, don't get caught having only one day to take a boat. When it is windy, like today, the boats between CT towns don't run.

Buy train ticket when you see yellow full function vending machines or ticket windows with short lines. Many travelers end up waiting in a long ticket line on the day of their departures.