Travel Suggestions

Search

Travel Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Suggestions

I am planning our trip to Italy for next June. I will be curling in Cortina the last week in June 2005 but my wife and I will probably take 14 days prior to this event to travel in the area. We will probably fly into Milan - although we could find a budget airline (i.e. Ryan Air) to go from London to Venice. After a couple of days in Venice, we would like to go to Slovenia and Croatia and then into Cortina. Is 14 days enough time and what routes and sights would you worldly travellers suggest. I will tell you that Verona looks inviting and I am an opera fan. We also like to hike and travel the backroads. We enjoy Pensions and zimmers. Thanks.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Verona is great but you'd have to go there in July after your curling to catch the wonderful operas in the arena.
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 12:56 PM

To search for B&Bs and other accomodations, try this Venice web site:http://www.turismovenezia.it/eng/dynalay.asp?PAGINA=437
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Hi
It's doable. Verona is a really nice city, check to see if reservations are needed for the opera. Also if you are driving, make sure a car rented in Italy can be driven in Croatia. Last year we went to croatia and tried to rent through Autoeurope and discovered a car couldn't be driven into Croatia. We went to Slovenia and picked up a car there. We did, years ago have a rental that we drove from Slovenia into Italy. It sounds like a really nice trip. 14 days should give you a taste of the area. Where in Croatia are you thinking of going? We went to Istria and stayed in Porec and Rovenj. The trip to Trogir was about 7 hours from Rovenj. From Slovenia to Istria is only a couple of hours drive. We enjoyed Rovenj and Porec so much we drove back from Trogir and spent the rest of the time there.
alan
Old Sep 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

On our flight to Prague this May, I sat next to a young man from Split, Croatia. We spent several hours discussing the US and foreign policy. He was a student at a small college in North Dakota. We exchanged email addresses and he asked that we visit his father's resturant in Split. So..we said next summer we would be there and send him an email once we have firmed up our plans.