Italy, Croatia

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:08 PM
Original Poster

Italy, Croatia

It started as a three week trip to Italy. Now it has changed to some time in Tuscany (not Florence as we have been there twice) and a trip to Croatia. Any suggestions. Should we rent a car and go down the Adriatic coast or should we just take the
ferry down (with many stops along the way)to Dubrovnik and the ferry back to Italy. Tentative plan is to fly into Florence or Venice and back through Rome (going on points so not as flexible as it could be. Any suggestions appreciated. I also considered going south from Tuscany to the Amalfi coast, and then over to Croatia by ferry. Very little data on Croatia other that several people have told me that it is wonderful. Now, I only have to convince my spouse. ALso here that Croatia is reasonable and that I should go before they go on the Euro. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, including what not to do (which can be just as valuable).

cheers
Old Jul 5th, 2004, 08:33 PM
pat

Just do a search on croatia. There have been many discussions on this lately. And yes, since I have read all the reviews, I`m going too.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 02:40 PM

Hi
We traveled to croatia last fall. a great place to visit. We flew in Slovenia and rented a car. Drove down into Croatia and went to Istria. Stayed in Porec and Rovenj. drove from there to Trogir. We enjoyed Istria better because the Italian culture was stronger. It was almost like being in an inexpensive Italy.
In the past we have driven from Slovenia through Trieste into Venice and Vicennes. It was a good drive. My regret is not having the time to stop in Trieste. We found a hotel in Venice with the only parking lot. Don't remember the name, only it was near the area where the buses pick up.
It's a fairly straight run. We did it about 8 yrs. ago, so the roads may have changed. Croatians that we met, liked Americans. Had a great time.
alan
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 05:56 PM

I just got back and posted my trip report. We flew into Split from Rome and then out of Dubrovnik back to Rome. I wanted to go to Hvar but just didn't have enough time. I think it would be great to drive down the coast from Venice. I couldn't use my flyer miles on Croatia Air because they don't code share with Delta, but if you want to fly through Prague, you can use Delta FFM on Czech Air. If I can answer any questions, let me know.
Old Jul 7th, 2004, 08:41 PM

I agree with Pat. On this site there are many postings from people, including myself, that have recently returned from Croatia. There is no way I can put into words how I feel about Croatia. There is nothing I didn't like about it and so many things I loved about it. We did a combination of driving, ferry and bus for transport in the two weeks we were there.

Here is the link to some of my photos to entice you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/tkoedoot

Cheers!