Travel Maker IloveRomania tours

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have traveled to Romania extensively since 1999 and found it charming. Was fascinated with the changes after 2004. I traveled both alone and on small groups. Will very likely return in 2011 for volunteer work.

In looking for a small group tour to Romania and possibly Moldova for friends in our church group I came across a piece of advertising for a week long group tour on both Google and Aol.com by what seems to be a Romanian tour operator called Travel Maker or IloveRomania. It is called The Best of Romania Tour. Sadly this is by far the worst possible itinerary of Romania in seven days I have ever seen. One should name it the "Worst tour of Romania".

The trick is the "low" price at 680 Euro for seven nights including one night in Bucharest. I feel I need to warn anyone considering taking such a tour that this is not a good option but a rather lousy one and I will explain.

Romania compares to Oregon in terms of size. The tour has a length of over 1,400 miles to be covered in only six full days. With all road improvements but lacking highways Romania is way behind any other country in Central Europe meaning the driving times are longer. The daily average distance is at 230 miles with six to ten hours in the bus.

I was touring Romania on a budget and using three star facilities along with some "pensiune" (B&Bs) in rural areas. I was using trains with the exception of the northern areas of Bucovina and Maramures where I was using a rental car. I still spent 120 Euro daily for lodging, food, gas and the car plus coffee and sodas here and there. Am just wondering what a traveler on this group would really get for a mere 680 Euro while the company still needs to make a profit. Obviously not much. There are no meals included except for breakfast.

Places such as in Transylvania require several days with highlights like Brasov and surroundings (at least three full days), Sighiosora (one full day), Maramures (at least three full days) and Bucovina (two days at a minimum). The Travel Maker itinerary is just a drive through all these areas without seeing much of anything. Not the way Rural Romania has to be visited.

Accommodations the way I found them in Romania vary from Bucharest with high end hotels such as a JW Marriott and the alike to 8 to 18 Euro a night in a bed & breakfast in the countryside. I would warn that B&Bs while the most inexpensive are not necessarily the best options when it comes to quality and service (there is no service). Many seem improvised and sharing a bathroom was not ideal for me.

Travel Maker IloveRomania is one tour option to definitely be avoided. It will not reveal Romania they way it deserves but only provide a long and tiring drive throughout the country. It will not be able to provide an experience. It is not the way Romania should be seen.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 12:24 PM

tower on Dec 18, 10 at 04:19 PM Readytoroll:

I just read your very same post on my friend Bob's Romania trip report...

Are you just posting to slam a tour company? Just say you don't recommend them..the litany is not necessary. I helped Bob and Karen with their itinerary based on my many long visits to Romania, long before independence, during Ceaucescu days and before. As part of my research I have intervieiwed hundeds of Romanians in their own homes during that time, in every region of the country where I traveled by rental car....when petrol was hard to come by and decent food was a difficult daily quest...while annoying military roadblocks were ubiquitous.

Sounds like you have something personal...is it a vendetta...regarding that tour company. There are countless guides available. I took 16 of my readership on a footsteps tour of the country in 2005. A guide friend of mine got us a minibus and driver...worked out very well. He alone is part of a country-wide guide organization.
stuart tower
[email protected]
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Original Poster:

Here is the thread to which I refer...your diatribe only came three years after Bob and Karen posted their trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/why-romania.cfm
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM

You (and tower) are both much better versed on Romania travel but I understand with your point and agree that that itinerary seems awfully fast - for me. Obviously for you as well. That seems to be the only grievance you've voiced regarding this company is in relation to the speed of one package.

However, I can't count the number of times I've seen tour company packages that go way too fast for me, who likes independent travel and doesn't do tours. Not just in Romania, but to anyplace on earth. And the slow travel concept - spending more time to appreciate your destination - is universally true for any of those places, if that's what you're into, isn't it? It's not the way Ireland should be seen, Zambia should be seen, China should be seen....

Except... that if a person has 6 days, really wants to get a lay of the land, perhaps to know where to return to when they have more time? Isn't it just about the perfect way to do it and just what they need? I think you get into a bit of parochialism when you decide everyone needs the same things. If no one needs that sort of trip, no one would buy the tour. Sure, it's not an in depth look at a wonderful, rich country... but maybe that's not what some people want. Maybe they don't mind, or even enjoy, the extended view out the window (coming from someone whose dad could circle the US in 10 days on road trips).

In the meantime, why not warn anyone considering a trip like this about what they're in for and what you feel they'll miss out on... rather than picking out one isolated example from a multitude of tour companies who do the same thing all over the world?
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 01:31 PM

well stated Clif...how are you old boy.? Enjoying down under? How is the little one doing..must be 5 or so..Best wishes for a good holiday season. This poster is new this month...hope he understands not to slam the so-called one isolated example.
stu
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 01:38 PM

I agree with Tower and Clifton. Foe example, I have a fairly good knowledge of the UK and in general I don't like organized tours.

However, I would never single out and slam a specific tour company I have never used, particularly when I haven't been asked for an opinion on the company or the tour.

Your post sounds as if you have an axe to grind and it sheds a poor light on you rather than on said company.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Doing well Stu, thanks for asking. Enjoying our move to Australia. Hasn't been so long though, just a year this past week. Sure miss the snows of Missouri this time of year though. Daughter's just turned 3 a couple of months ago, and already seems like she's growing up too fast. Gosh, 5... I'm not ready to think about that number yet. She makes it Christmas again.

Best wishes and happy holidays to you and yours too! Any more trips planned to Romania (or Morocco, or ?). Books on the way? We snuck in a trip to Peru just before moving and Bali just a while after, but think we're staying put for the foreseeable future.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 02:44 PM

i find all tours to be about the same as this 6 day tour... why single it out...??

are you an expert?
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 02:45 PM

cath:
are you still in Pyrenee country? Enjoying it? Hope so..any plans to come back to USA? Anyway, thanks for chiming in here. A newbie, but he/she has to larn sometime.
Any snow yet down there? Best wishes for a very good Christmas and a New Year!
stu
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Clif...I don't know where I got "5"..but hug her for me. Staying domestic this year...Alaska last September, Mexico's Copper Canyon coming in March
stu
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 02:56 PM

I just read the original post and suspected that it was a competitor of the company mentioned in the original post. Perhaps not but it struck me as a good possibiity.

I have never booked a tour and never will but I realize that for some people it is a decision they are happy with of course.

Stu and Clifton, two of my favorite posters!
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 05:56 PM

how are things, LoveItaly? I hope well...best wishes for a great Christmas with the family..and a very good, healthy peaceful New Year!
Stu
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 03:58 AM

Speak of favorite posters - heya LI! Hope the season finds you well. By the way, I suspect you may be on to something on the reason for the thread. There does seem to be some backstory there, why of the thousands of rushed itineraries on hundreds of tour company websites, why this one is worth searching the net for travel sites, creating logins on new sites and writing up long posts just to discuss it.

Two great sounding trips Stu. Further isn't necessarily better. Now that we're so far, I find myself regretting not hitting close to home more that we did. Including both of those. And so many people rave about that Copper Canyon trip. Hope it's a blast.
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Hi Stu,

Yes, we're in the Haute Garonne, about 45 min. SW of Toulouse. Love it here and plan to stay although we'll take an extended trip to the States in 2011 to see friends and family.

Very little snow so far in our village but the mountains look spectacular. I wouldn't call the winters mild but certainly better than NW Missouri and New England.

Now that rennovations are finished (nearly) we're starting to travel again, week in Nice in Nov, 8 days in Paris in late Sept and a too brief trip to Basque Country. We are almost in the region, can reach Bayonne in just over two hours, but we headed down to San Sebastian and Bilbao, enough of a taste to want to go back in the spring.

Happy Holidays to all,

Catherine
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM

Catherine..thanks for the response...tip for your next visit to the west..a few kms, south of Biarritz, in Bidart, one of our all-time favorite lodgings..<b>Villa L'Arche</b>. Great place to spend a few days... with a beautiful stretch of beach, with lunar-like rock formations. The hotel has a stairway to the beach and a beautiful lawn area wih smashing ocean views.

http://www.villalarche.com/

stu