Reload this Page >

Travel Magazines

Search

Travel Magazines

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 10:55 AM
Meredith

Travel Magazines

Anyone subscribe to National Geographic Traveler or Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel? I'm interested in getting one or the other but can't decide which. Any opinions? Thanks! <BR> <BR>(Hey, I gotta have something to do when this forum isn't working!)

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:06 AM
elaine

My favorite all around travel publication, and I subscribe to a few, <BR>is International Travel News, a newsprint monthly that is largely written by fellow-travelers, sort of like a forum in print. <BR>They have a website.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 11:17 AM
elvira

I subscribed to both at one time or another. National Geographic Traveler has wonderful pictures and descriptions of places to visit (the uncommon sites amid the common place); Frommer's has lots of info for budget traveling - specific info on specific places, as well as general helpful hints to keep travel costs under control. Subscribe to Frommer's, then buy an occasional NG Traveler from the newsstand when the article(s) strike your fancy.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 03:13 PM
lisa

I have subscribed to both at different times. I prefer National Geographic Traveler by far. Frommer's Budget Travel is good sometimes, but they repeat a lot of the same info from issue to issue, and also, virtually all of their articles are accessible on-line at frommers.com whereas NG Traveler's are not.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:03 PM
howard

Here's a vote for NG Traveler. I think it's the best travel magazine out there. Unlike a lot of the other slick travel publications, NG Traveler talks about things that I usually can afford to do (unlike Conde Nast Traveler and Travel & Leisure, for example).

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 06:16 PM
helenwolkow

Have gotten all the magazines throught the years. Best: International Travel News: call for a free copy-800-486-4968. also like Frommers Budget Travel a lot. Conde nast places too expensive but good for ideas. Helen

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Karen

International Travel News was just given to me by a neighbor and I am completely enthralled by it. Each monthly issue is packed with stories of foreign travel...tour, alone, small group in every mode of transportation and to every square inch of the earth. The ads are also intriguing...everything from chauffeurs that will drive you and/or your party for a nominal fee to freighter travel, small river/canal boats, hiking/walking tours, exotic travel of every kind. Just reading the magazine every night is really fascinating.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 01:59 AM
wendy

Is there a www address for this? <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:34 AM
elaine

www.intltravelnews.com/

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 04:42 AM
Robbie

I take Frommers Budget Traveler, I get the International Travelers News (ITN) and also subscribe to Conde Nast Traveler. I like all three, and together they give me a good perspective. CN tends to be a little on the high side usually but always has good information on locations, Frommers has great budget/lower price ideas, and ITN is pretty much written by other travelers (but I go get the sense that they tend to be older seniors, retired, and with nice incomes). I used to subscribe to Travel and Leisure, but I dropped it. I found it to be just too hoity toity for me, with its stories about cute little bargain hotels that only cost $800 a night, etc. I like the three I take and will continue to take them. I also think Nat'l Geographic is good (I have found their regular guide books to be of great value).

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:08 AM
dan woodlief

I chose National Geographic Traveler and love it. The photos are good (very important to me), and it has enough text to last from one month to the next.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 06:34 AM
Marsha

The best is National Geographic Traveler. As one of the other posters stated, it has travel ideas that I can afford, unlike the Conde Nast publications. It also has a nice mix of international and national (USA) destinations.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Erin

Another good magazine is Travel Holiday. It aimed towards people who like comfortable, inexpensive deals, but not budget sharing-toliet-down-the hall. I find a lot of good reasonable packages and info there.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Thyra

Another vote for Travel Holiday, it gives me great ideas! Sometimes I pick up an edition of Frommer's to get some good budget tips. Then when I decide where I want to go I cruise to the library and check out back issues of National Geographic. Their articles and photos are wonderful.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Vanessa

I subscribe to Conde Nast Traveler. It has great photographs, but all of its reccommendations are so expensive that it has never helped me in planning a trip. The photographs in the magazine are really great though. <BR> I just subscribed to Frommer's Budget Travel last week when I got a card in the mail. I would also like to order Travel and Leisure, but I'm spending enough on magazines as it is.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 10:46 AM
Shanna

They've all been in my mail, but I finally cancelled all of them except for International Travel Newsletter (ITN). AMX Travel & Leisure got a note from me saying that their articles never gave me wanderlust and yearning. And furthermore, all those Beautiful People! Who cares about them? ITN is down to earth. When I find it in my mailbox, I salivate and don't put it down until it's been read through.

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 11:21 AM
Judy

Shanna: YOU GO GIRL! Who cares about them, ha!!! I agree with you completely! I will have to read ITN,,,sounds like my kind of magazine! <BR>Judy

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 09:35 AM
Edward Franklin Covington, III

I prefer only the best when I travel. I always fly first class, use private car services to get from the airport to my hotels (which are always a minimum of 4 star), and eat only in facilities that have at least 2 stars. Because of this I am having a problem finding any travel magazine that caters to my tastes. <BR> <BR>Most of them tend to be written for the masses, and I of course am far above the masses. Does anyone have any ideas on a good magazine that I could use? Remember, it must only describe the best of places, ones that the common riff raff can not afford. I can not stand to be around riff raff when I travel.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 09:49 AM
ohfooey

Don't know the best magazine for you, but could suggest what you might want to use the magazine for . . ..

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 10:18 AM
lisa

Like others here, I had grown irritated with Conde Nast Traveller for focusing too much on high-end travel and not enough on moderately-priced places -- but in the new issue (Feb.) there is a very good article highlighting hotels under $200 per night in major European cities (Rome, Venice, Amsterdam, etc.). <BR> <BR>I personally like Travel Holiday and NG Traveler the best generally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -